Sony A6300 review (rolling) - Striking image but nagging issues

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Alan Roberts testing for EBU....

However, the camera fails expectations in several ways. Although the sensor dimensions considerably exceed the requirements of both HD and UHD, the scaling to produce HD and UHD images is unsatisfactory. Resolution at UHD is only adequate, but aliasing is unacceptably high. Similarly, at HD the aliasing is sufficient to cause problems in low bit-rate coding. 

The dynamic range is about 9 stops in standard ITU 709 mode (without knee), 11 stops in S-Log 2, 13 in S-Log 3. This is unsurprising since the camera uses only 8-bit recording.

Noise levels are consistently higher than acceptable, and noise reduction is too ineffective to improve things adequately. Only at ISO100 or ISO200 could the camera qualify for HD Tier SP, using EBU R.118 requirements. 

The sensor is evidently scanned, the so-called ‘rolling shutter’ effect. Rotating motion is very poor. 

This camera is not suitable for use in general broadcasting, apart from Special Purposes where its physical size or shape makes it uniquely suited to a particular type of shot.

http://www.newsshooter.com/2016/03/31/newsshooter-sony-a6300-ebu-lab-test-by-alan-roberts-surprising-results-not-suitable-for-use-in-general-broadcasting/

• Administrators

Talking about Special Purposes.... how about being the only $1000 camera with Super 35mm 4K recording, 13 stop dynamic range with LOG, small file sizes, built in EVF, 120fps in full HD and the best autofocus system under the $6000 1D X Mark II pro DSLR.

6 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Talking about Special Purposes.... how about being the only $1000 camera with Super 35mm 4K recording, 13 stop dynamic range with LOG, small file sizes, built in EVF, 120fps in full HD and the best autofocus system under the $6000 1D X Mark II pro DSLR.

We know all the specs.

But now a scientific test from EBU found "Resolution at UHD is only adequate, but aliasing is unacceptably high" and "Noise levels are consistently higher than acceptable, and noise reduction is too ineffective to improve things adequately." 

You have the a6300, do you agree with the ebu comments?

5 hours ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

Besides the Log/DR, doesn't the NX1 have all of that? And very good image quality in S35 1080p with near-global shutter?

Plus image stabilization and real 30min recording.

But no, the dynamic range of NX1 is not 13 stops (not even 11 I think).

Apparently it's the operating temperature (just by having the camera on, with the display on and flush with the camera body; even shooting stills), not so much the ambient one. So, I think it will be unreliable in any case, unless you're actively cooling the camera bringing down the operating temperature considerably (display hinged, EVF use, battery compartment opened, fans blowing air, sub-zero temperature environments).

But it seems environmental conditions still has an effect on it if external cooling actually does help. Regardless, any chance I had of considering the a6300 as an option has pretty much dwindled. If I understand correctly, Sony's own rx100iv seems to be built more operational even with the 5 min limit. Though I do still hear some overheating issues if not as glaring as the a6300.

Hi,

I was looking for info on what Sony may be releasing on sonyalpharumors.com and I saw that best buy was selling an open box for the A6300 with 16-50PZ lens for $988 with free shipping on ebay. I figured I would try one at this price.  Here's a link to it on Ebay.  I'm not affiliated with best buy, sony alpha rumors or ebay. Also, I'm like many people here who are hoping for the overheating to be fixed or a slightly more advanced version with IBS and headphones,  but if I'm going to make a mistake in purchasing something, I would rather have it be at a discount. ; )  Plus at worst case this will my gimbal camera because it is light weight and has great AF. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Open-Box-Sony-Alpha-a6300-Mirrorless-Camera-w-E-PZ-16-50-mm-F3-5-5-6-OSS-Lens-/201555454479?hash=item2eeda42a0f:g:GhsAAOSwgApXAuus

Sorry guys - looks they are sold out...

If camera set to record "XAVC S 4K", and "HDMI Resolution" set to 1080p it outputs very good quality scaled HD. Much better than 1080p internal recording. So it seems we can get good quality 1080p HDMI out to external recorder, but only in 4K internal mode. And it also means there is a good 1080p in there, but the one ends up on the card is bad. This is what i see on my monitor. Can you guys confirm this?

22 hours ago, dafreaking said:

Hypothetical question. If this camera didn't have these overheating issues would you still advise against it or recommend it?

For what use?

I'm a user, and the only use i can reccomend it over any other camera is if you want a small interchangable lens camera that will take great shots no matter what you are photographing, holding its own in sports, landscapes, portraits etc - though a compromise against larger cameras or cameras specializing in a narrower area of use. I couldn't reccomend it over others as a video camera, unless 4k is REALLY important to you, and even then, it has it's issues. It's also the best emount crop camera, if you're into vintage glass photography, it's a seriously good camera.

tltr: Photography, yes, video, no

I would recommend it if you like high dynamic range and great low light performance - if it doesn't overheat. The nice thing about it is the codec doen't seem to get mushy in low light.  I will never go back to ISO 1600 as the maxinum like on the black magics or the usable top ISO if the NX1.  It's so nice to be able to shoot in room light and add a single high CRI led light panel to complete the shot.  Also, with a good preamp feeding it you can turn down the audio record level and get a usable audio track.  Finally, the color seems fine when shooting with no picture profile and having a high resolution 4K image provides lots of flexibility in post for panning and scanning.  That said I was holding my breath today, hoping it would not overheat and left the battery door open.  It did not overheat today, but it had in the past on a longer take with the battery door closed. Great image when not overheating.

14 hours ago, DayRaven said:

For what use?

I'm a user, and the only use i can reccomend it over any other camera is if you want a small interchangable lens camera that will take great shots no matter what you are photographing, holding its own in sports, landscapes, portraits etc - though a compromise against larger cameras or cameras specializing in a narrower area of use. I couldn't reccomend it over others as a video camera, unless 4k is REALLY important to you, and even then, it has it's issues. It's also the best emount crop camera, if you're into vintage glass photography, it's a seriously good camera.

tltr: Photography, yes, video, no

Well sadly, video. I shoot weddings, events, low end corporate stuff where I don't necessarily rent gear. Even when I do it's usually an A7s or A7s II so I even though the new Panasonic GX8x looks tasty the A6300 should match well with the other Sonys. 4K is definitely important. (More for cropping in than delivery). This will also serve as a back-up to the Sony bodies that I rent.

Also since my trusty 600D also stops recording occasionally with magic lantern, I would prefer something a bit reliable. Love the "Canon" colours but I've started enjoying the Sony's too. In my line of work people don't care about colour accuracy that much. 

Not too bothered about rolling shutter.

5 hours ago, dafreaking said:

Well sadly, video. I shoot weddings, events, low end corporate stuff where I don't necessarily rent gear. Even when I do it's usually an A7s or A7s II so I even though the new Panasonic GX8x looks tasty the A6300 should match well with the other Sonys. 4K is definitely important. (More for cropping in than delivery). This will also serve as a back-up to the Sony bodies that I rent.

Also since my trusty 600D also stops recording occasionally with magic lantern, I would prefer something a bit reliable. Love the "Canon" colours but I've started enjoying the Sony's too. In my line of work people don't care about colour accuracy that much. 

Not too bothered about rolling shutter.

The 4k image is nice, and hard to beat at any price range, but it's the overheating. I've never had my camera overheat, even under stress testing, so good copies do exist, but I would be dishonest to suggest that the chance of getting a good one is even close to acceptable. There are tricks you can do with ram heatsinks, and similar, especially if you can cope with the articulating screen losing it's articulation, but how many times are you going to tolerate it overheating at a wedding? It depends I guess on how you use it - if it's strictly a camera where it's nice if it gets something, but you never rely on it to get the product absolutely perfect, then why not, but if you think that it could let you down even once, well, it's up to you!

10 minutes ago, DayRaven said:

The 4k image is nice, and hard to beat at any price range, but it's the overheating. I've never had my camera overheat, even under stress testing, so good copies do exist, but I would be dishonest to suggest that the chance of getting a good one is even close to acceptable. There are tricks you can do with ram heatsinks, and similar, especially if you can cope with the articulating screen losing it's articulation, but how many times are you going to tolerate it overheating at a wedding? It depends I guess on how you use it - if it's strictly a camera where it's nice if it gets something, but you never rely on it to get the product absolutely perfect, then why not, but if you think that it could let you down even once, well, it's up to you!

Hmm...I guess I'll pass. Unless a firmware update fixes this issue. I usually shoot in warm weather