5D mark4 will be better at video than 1DX mark2

Rinad Amir

the video features of the camera will be the best in the lineup and will easily best the EOS-1D X Mark II for most filmmakers. While the EOS-1D X Mark II is aimed at photojournalists, the EOS 5D Mark IV will be aimed at filmmakers

Read more: http://www.canonrumors.com/eos-5d-mark-iv-update-cr2/#ixzz43FyN0cpS

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

I hope they hurry up and release it then, because I am seriously considering the 1D X Mark II for video.

If the 5D Mark III has the same AF system but full frame image 4K, Canon LOG and articulated screen it would be seriously good.

This is Canon though so I would take just one of the above :)

7 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

I hope they hurry up and release it then, because I am seriously considering the 1D X Mark II for video.

If the 5D Mark III has the same AF system but full frame image 4K, Canon LOG and articulated screen it would be seriously good.

This is Canon though so I would take just one of the above :)

Ask yourself this,  what would it need to do in order to be "better" than the 1DX Mkii without stepping on the toes of the Cinema line? Not gonna happen.  Might be a match for the A7Sii, but it will fall short of a decisive victory. Expect 24 fps 4k, cropped with canon color. Don't expect iso performance of the 1DX Mkii. Don't expect CLog.

32 minutes ago, araucaria said:

That would be great, but they should really give it a try and make a mirrorless version with EVF, it would suddenly make the A7X totally irrelevant for people with EF lenses only because of ergonomics. I guess they should have enough confidence in the double pixel AF.

Canon rumors has stated multiple times with fairly high certainty that Canon is releasing a professional full frame mirrorless camera by year's end. 

2 minutes ago, mercer said:

Canon rumors has stated multiple times with fairly high certainty that Canon is releasing a professional full frame mirrorless camera by year's end. 

But didn't they state that multiple times over the last years before? Same for Nikon. I wish it would really happen. Neither the Canon M nor the Nikon 1 have really impressed the enthusiasts.

The last interviews where the Canon manager said that they don't consider mirrorless technology on a sufficient level for a professional system was a bit of a let down. I guess they'd first bring 80D level stuff in mirrorless before we'd see 5D/1D level.

3 minutes ago, mercer said:

Actually, they are fairly certain the prosumer mirrorless camera will have 4K, yet other tumors state that one of the 3 mirrorless cameras Canon intends to release will be a full frame.

http://www.canonrumors.com/prosumer-level-canon-mirrorless-camera-to-have-4k-cr2/

49 minutes ago, Rinad Amir said:

the video features of the camera will be the best in the lineup and will easily best the EOS-1D X Mark II for most filmmakers.

Read more: http://www.canonrumors.com/eos-5d-mark-iv-update-cr2/#ixzz43FyN0cpS

"For most filmakers"... so amateurs... since most "filmakers" are amateurs. Nuff said.

I wish they split the line and released a 5DC - a camera like that would sell immensely well for video. But then we have a C100 III due within the year, which will most likely have a slightly better body and 4k video upgrade at a low bit rate.

The only upgrade I imagine there'll be for video on a 5D mk. IV is 4k video and 1080p 60fps. 

Canon will throw everything into the next C500. There is a reason the C300 doesn't have 4k 60p and full image on 120fps. 

Hopefully there will be a 1DCII which is the 1DX II but with Canon Log2 and 10bit recording. I'd get that. But it will cost £799,999,999,99.99. 

I would love it if they put out an interchangeable lens xc10 with the EF-M mount. C-mount lenses with 4K log...

37 minutes ago, Phil A said:

But didn't they state that multiple times over the last years before? Same for Nikon. I wish it would really happen. Neither the Canon M nor the Nikon 1 have really impressed the enthusiasts.

The last interviews where the Canon manager said that they don't consider mirrorless technology on a sufficient level for a professional system was a bit of a let down. I guess they'd first bring 80D level stuff in mirrorless before we'd see 5D/1D level.

Sure they have, you are correct, but they have made small, incremental steps toward building a mirrorless system. With Sony's success in that market, it would be stupid of Canon not to try and get some of that market share. 

45 minutes ago, Oliver Daniel said:

Hopefully there will be a 1DCII which is the 1DX II but with Canon Log2 and 10bit recording. I'd get that. But it will cost £799,999,999,99.99. 

I'd be curious what the file sizes would be like at 4k 60fps 10bit in MJPEG codec, must be humongous... but does that codec even support 10bit? Because it seems they're really hardware limited in the non-Cx00 bodies regarding compressed codecs, so I see no 10bit possibility without going to some big changes (then the 1DcII couldn't be based on the 1DxII)

34 minutes ago, mercer said:

Sure they have, you are correct, but they have made small, incremental steps toward building a mirrorless system. With Sony's success in that market, it would be stupid of Canon not to try and get some of that market share. 

I think so too and I clearly would love to see it... but I'm also keeping in mind how the camera market declines, I guess there are big question marks over every type of investment. Canon milks old investments, that's not exciting but has a low risk in the short/mid term. 

I don't really see why they don't pull a X100/X-Pro1 and just put a flip-up EVF into the OVF. That should be rather easy to do, relatively cheap and addressing both camps, the MILC and DSLR crowd. Maybe there's patents in that field that prevent it, I didn't investigate.

16 minutes ago, Phil A said:

I'd be curious what the file sizes would be like at 4k 60fps 10bit in MJPEG codec, must be humongous.

I think so too and I clearly would love to see it... but I'm also keeping in mind how the camera market declines, I guess there are big question marks over every type of investment. Canon milks old investments, that's not exciting but has a low risk in the short/mid term. 

I don't really see why they don't pull a X100/X-Pro1 and just put a flip-up EVF into the OVF. That should be rather easy to do, relatively cheap and addressing both camps, the MILC and DSLR crowd. Maybe there's patents in that field that prevent it, I didn't investigate.

Quite frankly, Canon runs their camera division much smarter than Sony. Sure it isn't exciting to us, but it's smart business. A small investment in R&D yields years and years of profit. Sony, for instance, must spend butt loads of money on R&D, and updating their production, making their profit margins much smaller.

But this is just my assumption. 

1 hour ago, Germy1979 said:

Moderate bitrate internally.  4K.  Decent AF in comparison to the 1D2.  No C-log. And of course...  8-bit.

(however the XC-10 has it.)

I'm pretty much sold on the 14-bit raw image coming out of mark 3 & I don't understand why they don't take that and run with it.  

Maybe the replacement for the 5D3 will be called the XC-1 ?