Red One MX - Why I bought one

Mattias Burling

1 hour ago, Emanuel said:

Trust me, RED cameras never end outdated :-)

Wonder if we'll still be seeing features shot on a RED ONE in a decade from now?

1 hour ago, hijodeibn said:

RED ONE MX (forget about the first version)

Any one here in this forum have first hand experience with the first version?

I know the M sensor is a lot worse than MX, but would be interesting to hear more in the context of 2018

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

@IronFilm David, in the context of 2018, for sure. As we all know, guess or might wonder no feature film will choose such camera today. As same as we could write the same for a F900 series, as for instance. You pick up a camera for a feature based on some variables, somewhat into plain orthodoxy. Being innovation in the realm of digital, one of them. This doesn't exclude both camera models are still a myth and they can offer anything you want within the customary limitations by their own. Except as 2018 camera models they surely are not and never will be anymore as the tool of the year they were some years earlier (E :-)

• Super Members
22 hours ago, zerocool22 said:

I don't think so. The risk is high that something gets broken. + There are lots of affordable camera's out there that outspec this camera. As The mysterium-X sensor is quite old with only 12 stops of DR and dont forget the red one itself is quite clunky.

I got 13 usable stops out of it. There might be other cameras with some spec sheets that looks more impressive, but they cost alot more $$$.

And the nr1 spec in my book is the redcode. Editing raw natively in FCPX is such a treat.

The size really is the only true downside imo. The start-up time is more a question of attitude ;)

4 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Any one here in this forum have first hand experience with the first version?

I know the M sensor is a lot worse than MX, but would be interesting to hear more in the context of 2018

Never had one, but I have read a few places where they say the imagine output looks nicer. MX has lager Sensor and 16 bit instead of 12 bit. I would not pay much for the original one. But I have seen a few for less than a 1000 bucks body only. Hell of a good way to learn good Pro video camera basics.

This is a nice list for comparing older Cine cameras.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_large_sensor_interchangeable-lens_video_cameras

On 2/7/2018 at 9:46 PM, webrunner5 said:

. But I have seen a few for less than a 1000 bucks body only.

What the hell, for a RED ONE M? (not MX)?

Good grief. I haven't seen it quite that low anywhere yet. $2K yes, but not sub $1K!

8 hours ago, hijodeibn said:

Here is something produced today with a R1 MX, lets leave the image to talk!!!

Is nice, I watched this first over on reduser when it was shared

2 hours ago, IronFilm said:

What the hell, for a RED ONE M? (not MX)?

Good grief. I haven't seen it quite that low anywhere yet. $2K yes, but not sub $1K!

I have also never seen a R1 M or MX lower than $1K, only a body for parts in eBay, below $2K you can get a good body, and then later get the externals needed, probably the best deal is to buy a used one with most of its components, and we are talking from $3k to $6k depending on the components, so for around $3K plus something you could get a R1 MX with the minimal components to start shooting, which is a very good price, for $5K and above, I will never buy it today, I will save a little more and go for a C200....

29 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Yup, am watching it already but taxes and shipping would kill it for me :-/ 

Also, ssssssshhhhhhh....... don't post links here! ;-) Sharing it will lift the price too high! :-P 

hahahahaha.....ok, no more post here, but remember, use the old trick to get lower taxes, ask the vendor to declare a lower price when he dispatch it, some guys definitely don't do it, but others don't care and don't have any problem, you have to ask them in advance, before the bidding end, I declared a R1 MX some years ago for just $800 bucks, and the price was actually around $5K....good luck!!!

Although hey, in return I'll share this cheap Lectrosonics pair which is about to end:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lectrosonics-UCR201UM200C-Wireless-Professional-Microphone/202209140782?

Bet a person could get this for the no reserve price. 

(note: it is block 26, this is fine for me, but might not be so for your city, so check first)

Red One MX around 2008 of filming. Cinematography by David Mullen, who still later in 2011 stated that it would be well for cinema prodcution. This movie has a highly stylized look and production and color design.

He did a great write up on that movie (Mullen, that is). The whole thing was shot on a sound stage and for very little money. David Mullen is a great guy (and a great DP), who shares his experience and expertise willingly and exhaustively with the community.

13 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Good news / bad news:

Hi, it's the SSD module. And I'm sorry but we would be uncomfortable declaring a lesser value than what it sells for. 
Happy bidding!

Sorry, you will have to keep looking, some guys are very nice and don't care about the price declaration, others very strict, anyway, sure something will show up in the future!!!

On 2/9/2018 at 4:06 AM, hijodeibn said:

Here someone could probably get a R1 MX at a very good price, I think it will end below $2K....

You called it! Sold for just a hair under $2K

On 2/10/2018 at 4:26 AM, Emanuel said:

To me, the closer rival out there is the Ursa Mini 4.6K PL mount.

Yeah... but that is PL Mount :-/ Meaning expensive PL lenses! Rather avoid that, and use my quite large collection of lenses I have at the moment. 

On 2/10/2018 at 4:26 AM, Emanuel said:

That's the next mark, it is just waiting for a cyber deal next end of November or summer sales. Count on it.

Pity the BMPCC is the only one which got a radical half price sale, and even that was a long long time ago now.