Red One MX - Why I bought one

Mattias Burling

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members

Quick DR comparison.
Was planing to do a complete side by side shootout but the day was just to gorgeous and Ive just moved to a house by the sea. So I aborted and went ice skating instead :)

IMG_20160104_124007_resized.md.jpg

But a super quick shot.

• A have shot with the same lens, f4, iso800.
  • I exposed ETTR with the same variable ND.
  • Red Code is switched to Red Log Film and the BMCC Raw to BMDFilm.
  • Then I set the highlights and shadows just bellow clip and above crush using the wave form.
  • Lastly I chose a line in the mid tones and pushed it to the same IRE on all clips.

My conclusions,

BMCC and R1 both have 13 usable stops.
They both have about equal amount of noise but the R1 has a dirtier noise (a positive for me but not the the folks who like it sharp).
The Red has a much more pleasing set of colors after balancing. Just like C-Log, Nikon Flat or Bolex. Wouldn't need as much grading to get a certain look.

A note on using them,
The bcc is so super light with just the top handle.
The Red feels so much more "pro" and all of its exposure tools are really nifty.
Didn't even turn on Zebras or False Color. The meter, stop light and histogram does a good enough job without cluttering the screen.

BMCC Prores LT 
ProresLT_balane_1.3.1.md.jpg

BMCC 2.5K Raw
Raw_balane_1.3.1_1.4.1.md.jpg

Red One MX 4.5K R28
Red_28_balance_1.1.1.md.jpg

Red One MX 4.5K R42
Red_48_balance_1.1.1_1.2.1.md.jpg

• Super Members

Nice look. Honestly, with the prime set worth probably about $1500 by itself, I'd definitely pick up a ready-to-shoot Red for $2500 even with the major downsides, even if just for the learning experience.

If you are in the US, it migt still be for sale. He never bumped to say its sold.

• Super Members

IMG_20160106_224457.md.jpg

Had a quick play today. It was -17C so I mostly stayed in. Got borred and played with the exposure of the R1. 
Its really not that heavy when striped down.

Did a quick comparison to the BMCC as well. Think the Blackmagic did alright besides the moire on Gunpowders cheek. 

I second with Mattias decision for a red one mx .  I own two of them, and three sony f35 - about to put up a test - f35 vs f3 vs red one mx vs a7s ii

The Red One MX,  Ebrahim, has a pretty good sensor.  I also think of it as 12 stops.  But has really good resolution.

It also has the best looking skintone out of the bat in daylight than, in my eyes, the Red Dragon sensor.  I think Shane Hurlbut did a comparison of how each optical low-pass filter affects skintones.

I haven't done tests to see, but I notice that the motion on the red one mx feels better than the Epic MX - also David Fincher agrees with me and Mattias, he said he prefers the look of the Red One MX over the Epic - on his interview for AC about girl with the dragon tattoo.

I used the BM4k and wasn't a fan of its highlight roll off - the CION doesn't look that appealing to me.

The Red ONE MX is a workhorse.  Mine has been going for over 2 years now after going thru some long, intense shoots.  In -20 F weather in north Alaska.  Also it has less fan noise issues than the Red Epic.

It's compression is pretty good - it's clean and sharp and has nice motion.

Red Customer support is HORRIBLE!  If you break anything, even a SSD reader, they won't do anything but charge you.  And reduser - a lot of them including the President are really mean to people on their boards.

So they are a mixed bag.

I still want to do a red one mx vs  alexa mini vs fs7 vs f55 vs ursa 4.6k test vs c300 ii test if I ever have time or money - maybe someone else can do it.

I second with Mattias decision for a red one mx .  I own two of them, and three sony f35 - about to put up a test - f35 vs f3 vs red one mx vs a7s ii

The Red One MX,  Ebrahim, has a pretty good sensor.  I also think of it as 12 stops.  But has really good resolution.

It also has the best looking skintone out of the bat in daylight than, in my eyes, the Red Dragon sensor.  I think Shane Hurlbut did a comparison of how each optical low-pass filter affects skintones.

I haven't done tests to see, but I notice that the motion on the red one mx feels better than the Epic MX - also David Fincher agrees with me and Mattias, he said he prefers the look of the Red One MX over the Epic - on his interview for AC about girl with the dragon tattoo.

I used the BM4k and wasn't a fan of its highlight roll off - the CION doesn't look that appealing to me.

The Red ONE MX is a workhorse.  Mine has been going for over 2 years now after going thru some long, intense shoots.  In -20 F weather in north Alaska.  Also it has less fan noise issues than the Red Epic.

It's compression is pretty good - it's clean and sharp and has nice motion.

Red Customer support is HORRIBLE!  If you break anything, even a SSD reader, they won't do anything but charge you.  And reduser - a lot of them including the President are really mean to people on their boards.

So they are a mixed bag.

I still want to do a red one mx vs  alexa mini vs fs7 vs f55 vs ursa 4.6k test vs c300 ii test if I ever have time or money - maybe someone else can do it.

I would be very interested to see the match between the Red One MX vs Ursa Mini 4.6k... We have yet to see some filmic image out of the Ursa mini... but maybe in the proper hands / context... : )

What do you like best out of the F35 and Red One ed?

Well that turned out nicely.

To say the least!!

You better start hiding your RED ONE otherwise it will be $10k by February :)

What lens was used on the R1... the Nikon 17-35?

The F35 looks the most natural, like it was shot on 35mm film.  It pops - it gets the blue highlights in skintones right - it gets the motion right. It handles light like film handles light.

But the Red One has a certain feel that is also quite beautiful - as you see in Mattias's test - there is something lovely about it.  

But, the f35 handles color as naturally as possible, so I would go for the F35 for most stuff.  Unless well , if the director likes the red one look - and some days I like it better.  Depends I guess on the project, but I wouldn't rule either out.  I guess, for darker, sci-fi or horror type stuff, the Red One feels really good.

For drama, narrative, historical, indie, etc, the F35 feels the best.

If you haven't already tried the technique in this link with your F35 footage Ed you really should give it a shot, along with the color chart method it gives the best neutral grade for the F35 of any method I have tried. The normal color chart method is good to but I have found it adds too much contrast to the highlights at least in my opinion. It is very easy the only real downside is since it is ACES most luts will not work correctly but Filmconvert seems to be fine.

http://www.filmscientist.com/blog/2015/01/29/film-scientist-aces-workflow-revisited/

In the project settings switch it from YRGB to Davinci Aces.

In the color manangement tab select either Rec709 or RGB for the ODT depending on what monitor you use.

On the footage in the media pool assign the lut from the link above.

If you want to use the color chart correction make sure the input gamma is linear, target gamma is linear and target colorspace is ACES and that is it. For the first time with any version of Slog I feel like I am getting a truely neutral starting point.

• Super Members

What do you like best out of the F35 and Red One ed?

Well that turned out nicely.

To say the least!!

You better start hiding your RED ONE otherwise it will be $10k by February :)

What lens was used on the R1... the Nikon 17-35?

Its like when I do a "Hey checkout this $10 lens". Then its not so $10 anymore :)

Yes, just the 17-35. Im getting the 35-70/2.8 today. Bought one for $150. Next I think I will ad a Rokkinon 24 or 35mm.

• Super Members

Hmm, well checking it out further, that one in particular is a Red M, not a MX. Seems to make a big difference, and hence why it is so cheap.

http://shootwithred.com/2010/03/20/mx-vs-m-red-results/

Ahh makes sence. Still a nice kit though with the lenses.

"Che" was shot on the M and most of it looks pretty sweet.

Since I knew one other guy that just bought one I thought an FB group was needed ;)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/172887176403138/

• Super Members

BTW, remembered seeing a cool macro video shot on the Red One years ago. Might have been the first time I ever heard of it.

Rewatched it, still looks good. And it turns out the guy is now making for example the latest Volvo commercial which is just epic.

I recently took a University class in marketing and that commercial was talked about in every single example. So I guess he is doing great.

Not saying its the cameras credit, but still, kinda cool :)

• 3 months later...

If anyone's looking into buying a Ursa mini 4k EF, I may have a slightly used one for sale. It wouldn't come with Resolve dongle, but It would come with 2 Lexar 128gb Cfast cards, card reader, Hypercore slim battery, charger, BMD v-mount plate, power cord, and Box.

1 hour ago, mechanicalEYE said:

If anyone's looking into buying a Ursa mini 4k EF, I may have a slightly used one for sale. It wouldn't come with Resolve dongle, but It would come with 2 Lexar 128gb Cfast cards, card reader, Hypercore slim battery, charger, BMD v-mount plate, power cord, and Box.

Wrong topic. Post this in the sticky "Gear For Sale" topic.