Best lenses for super 35mm crop sensor cameras

kidzrevil

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I recently bought a Samsung NX1 after I sold my a7s and I am loving it ! I am currently using a kit full of Canon FD L glass but I am looking for anything both modern and vintage designed and optimized for super 35mm sensors to use with the NX1. Any ideas ?

I know these aren't designed or optimized for S35mm in particular, but...

Try some of the vintage Russain lenses: Mir-24M, Helios 44-2, Jupiter 9, Helios 40-2, Tair 11a

Super Takumars are nice, as are Nikon Ai-s lenses.

But, as a v.good all-in-one zoom the Tokina AT-X Pro 28-70mm f2.6/2.8 (Angenieux version) is outstanding & cheep - everyone should have one in their arsenal!

would love some but to own these would be way way wayyyy out of my budget LOL

I know these aren't designed or optimized for S35mm in particular, but...

Try some of the vintage Russain lenses: Mir-24M, Helios 44-2, Jupiter 9, Helios 40-2, Tair 11a

Super Takumars are nice, as are Nikon Ai-s lenses.

But, as a v.good all-in-one zoom the Tokina AT-X Pro 28-70mm f2.6/2.8 (Angenieux version) is outstanding & cheep - everyone should have one in their arsenal!

I own the 50mm and 85mm takumars but I've yet to try any m42 lens on this camera. Really and truly I am looking for a lens that can comfortably resolve detail up to 6k since the sensor size is 6.5k. If you know any lenses both vintage and modern that can do that would be amazing !

would love some but to own these would be way way wayyyy out of my budget LOL

I own the 50mm and 85mm takumars but I've yet to try any m42 lens on this camera. Really and truly I am looking for a lens that can comfortably resolve detail up to 6k since the sensor size is 6.5k. If you know any lenses both vintage and modern that can do that would be amazing !

Check out Mattias' videos. He has quite a few examples using vintage glass with the NX1. My favorite is his video using the 35mm 2.8 Carl Zeiss Jena. I believe it's the zebra version. I know the newer 35mm 2.4 is considered one of the best lenses ever made. Also some people feel the Nikkor 50mm f2 is the sharpest lens and it can be had for $50 or less. 

Cooke!!

But the Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 is my current favourite S35 lens for realistic prices

i'll have to invest in some Sigma glass. A friend of mines just got that zoom and thats pretty much all he's shooting with. My dream is a Sigma lens set with vidatlantic's anamorphic aperture inserts <3

Well the obvious choice would be the Contax Zeiss primes, but they can be pricey. However, the cheaper alternatives would be the Yashica ML Primes - both C/Y mount:

http://cargocollective.com/yashica/About-Yashica-ML-Prime-Lenses

If you've got some cash, then the original Angenieux 28-70mm lens would probably be ideal & would save you using those filters - vintage, so not the sharpest, but the resolution of detail is outstanding (Its an Angenieux lens god dammit!). The Tokina version is close & cost me £100.

M42 lenses are a mixed bag - have you tried the Super Tak 35mm & 28mm (not the fastest, f3.5, but sharp).

The Russain lenses I mentioned are really good & I prefer the Meyer Gorlitz lenses to the Zeiss Jena.

Try this forum for vintage lenses, its a real Aladdin's cave etc...

http://forum.mflenses.com/

I recently bought a Samsung NX1 after I sold my a7s and I am loving it ! I am currently using a kit full of Canon FD L glass but I am looking for anything both modern and vintage designed and optimized for super 35mm sensors to use with the NX1. Any ideas ?

Im a fan of your work. How come you decided to make a change again?

Im a fan of your work. How come you decided to make a change again?

thank you man ! Im really just looking for a well balanced camera & the more I learn about the craft I "outgrow" some of these bodies. Honestly you're not losing whether you get a gh4, a7s or nx1. What killed it for me with a7s was the color science and body size (I work handheld and it's too small). With the color science the greens are out of control and I got a lot of blue channel clipping that actually made me lose a client as the footage of her nightclub performance was totally unusable with the artifacting. It made no sense having a low light camera that couldn't shoot city scenes and clubs without running the huge risk of clipping color channels ! The nx1 so far is great because the colors are so good I can get damn close to the look in camera. I came to grips with the fact a long time ago that flat color profiles and LOG is a NO go for 8 bit cameras. The NX1 stills color modes (picture wizards) work admirably and I am still tweaking my look. The sensor works different than other dslr's cause once you expose for the highlights there is a ton of shadow detail hidden in what can look too black at first glance. The camera isn't without its flaws of course but so far this could be it for me especially when Adobe supports h.265 natively.

Lengthy explanation I know but hope that answers your question !

Well the obvious choice would be the Contax Zeiss primes, but they can be pricey. However, the cheaper alternatives would be the Yashica ML Primes - both C/Y mount:

http://cargocollective.com/yashica/About-Yashica-ML-Prime-Lenses

If you've got some cash, then the original Angenieux 28-70mm lens would probably be ideal & would save you using those filters - vintage, so not the sharpest, but the resolution of detail is outstanding (Its an Angenieux lens god dammit!). The Tokina version is close & cost me £100.

M42 lenses are a mixed bag - have you tried the Super Tak 35mm & 28mm (not the fastest, f3.5, but sharp).

The Russain lenses I mentioned are really good & I prefer the Meyer Gorlitz lenses to the Zeiss Jena.

Try this forum for vintage lenses, its a real Aladdin's cave etc...

http://forum.mflenses.com/

hmm im gonna look into the contax zeiss primes ! Good info I appreciate it

Unfortunately, there's not a lot of good, adaptable, APS-C-specific glass out there. Your best option is just to get good full frame glass and smile knowing that you don't have to worry about vignetting or corner performance.

If you just want solid lenses without breaking the bank, I'd look at Minolta Rokkors and Contax Zeiss. Here's a couple links to get you started. 

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?92246-Minolta-Rokkor-Survival-Guide
http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?92044-Contax-Zeiss-Survival-Guide

The Zeiss look very clean and "honest", whereas the Rokkors have a warmer, more "vintage cinema" look. Look at some samples and see what you like.

Unfortunately, there's not a lot of good, adaptable, APS-C-specific glass out there. Your best option is just to get good full frame glass and smile knowing that you don't have to worry about vignetting or corner performance.

If you just want solid lenses without breaking the bank, I'd look at Minolta Rokkors and Contax Zeiss. Here's a couple links to get you started. 

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?92246-Minolta-Rokkor-Survival-Guide
http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?92044-Contax-Zeiss-Survival-Guide

The Zeiss look very clean and "honest", whereas the Rokkors have a warmer, more "vintage cinema" look. Look at some samples and see what you like.

thanks man ! I'll check out the Rokkors. I am after a vintage look but with enough resolution to at least resolve 4k. My Canon FD L lenses are great but they dont have the vintage flare of like a Jupiter 9 or the Helios bokeh