B&H Photo - largest seller of camera gear in USA exploits workers

Ed_David

Two things:

1) Any AJ/AJA haters just needed to see the word Jew or Jewish once in the story and they'd be off to the races that AJ was targeting a Jewish business.  Though I don't necessarily believe the story until someone corroborates it, I actually think it was wise NOT to use either word in the story.

2) The story, again, appears to be about worker abuse, not about a Jewish-run business.  I want to stay on topic.

Everyone on the internet is getting sidetracked with AJA vs. a Jewish business and Union vs. Non-Union.  I do not give a damn about either matter. 

I care if the business I am giving thousands of dollars to is running a sweatshop.  That's what I want to know.  I just want this story either backed up with more information or invalidated as not being true.

It seemed VERY wise to not include the word because the first reaction of many was to boycott B&H.  When readers learned the company is owned by Orthadox Jews they rightfully wondered why Al Jazeera of all organizations would not mention it.  Right or wrong, is this not realistic to expect?  I'm pretty sure any other journalistic enterprise would have mentioned it because, again, B&H considers themselves Orthadox Jews first and merchants second.  If they didn't, they'd be open Saturday.  Right?  

As for the sweatshop, the article does not compare B&H to any other companies.  There are no supporting statistics that these issues are unique to B&H.  It's all about context, as others have said.  Again, I have no problem with Al Jazeera.  I do have a problem with weak journalism.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Anyone in NY, why don't you take an unobtrusive camera and go to the main B&H warehouse located in Brooklyn’s Navy Yard, I am pretty sure MANY workers at this point would love to talk and scream. Might get a look inside too to see the atmosphere. 

(to be clear, I am not encouraging illegally trespassing the doors with a TV truck and a news crew, just some friendly chat, by yourself, on legal ground, being nice and partial)

ED?

I care as I love B&H. LOVE them as a direct customer. 

I think the cash settlement was for hundreds of workers, not just one.

This is how workers get unionized - to save their own welfares.

And conditions at Amazon are pretty bad.

Where else to get gear from?  Samy's camera, EVSOnline, Adorama, Barndoor Outfitters - there are a ton of places that probably don't force workers to work 17 hours a day with no bathroom breaks.

Now that the NYTimes supports the story and AJA - we now know it's not as biased and there are videos of it.

So now where does everyone stand?

I'm off to ebay and adorama for most of my needs.

Good bye B&H!  They just lost about 10 grand of business a year.  Not much, but if everyone does it - it all adds up

It seemed VERY wise to not include the word because the first reaction of many was to boycott B&H.  When readers learned the company is owned by Orthadox Jews they rightfully wondered why Al Jazeera of all organizations would not mention it.  Right or wrong, is this not realistic to expect?  I'm pretty sure any other journalistic enterprise would have mentioned it because, again, B&H considers themselves Orthadox Jews first and merchants second.  If they didn't, they'd be open Saturday.  Right?  

As for the sweatshop, the article does not compare B&H to any other companies.  There are no supporting statistics that these issues are unique to B&H.  It's all about context, as others have said.  Again, I have no problem with Al Jazeera.  I do have a problem with weak journalism.

I'm not following you, Maxotics. Why is it shoddy journalism not to mention the religious persuasion of the owners? And is it fact or opinion that the owners of B&H consider themselves Orthodox Jews first and foremost, merchants second? Do you have evidence to support your claim? Finally, are you implying that Orthodox Jews care less about human life than other merchants? Sorry, I'm just not sure what you are getting at. And apologies if I'm misunderstanding, I'm just asking for clarification.

[edit] I don't see why or how being closed on Saturdays has anything to do with business being more or less important than someone's religious practices. In fact, I've never heard anything but positive reviews of B&H and not once have I heard anyone complain about not being able to do business with them on Saturday. Baffling.

Now that the NYTimes supports the story and AJA - we now know it's not as biased and there are videos of it.

So now where does everyone stand?

I'm off to ebay and adorama for most of my needs.

Good bye B&H!  They just lost about 10 grand of business a year.  Not much, but if everyone does it - it all adds up

10 grand is not much, eh? Are you boasting or what? That's half my yearly salary...

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Let me just say this both left and right: We ALL know squad. Zero. None. Big O.

Acting upon that is simply idiocy. Sorry to be a party pooper but there truly is nothing to discuss here beyond ''They probably did it'' vs ''They probably didn't''. 

I'm wondering why these charges aren't being handled via the US Federal Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA), or the office of the NY Attorney General (which dictates guidelines regarding shift break and mealtime requirements.) The fact that the United Steelworkers Union is already involved suggests this is more about conventional Big Union pushing its own agenda than it is about anything unique to B&H.

As for eBaying your way to a clear conscience: how do you know you're not buying from a homophobic racist in Back-creek County, USA?

Let me just say this both left and right: We ALL know squad. Zero. None. Big O.

Acting upon that is simply idiocy. Sorry to be a party pooper but there truly is nothing to discuss here beyond ''They probably did it'' vs ''They probably didn't''. 

exactly. And who among us has the resources to investigate the ethical practices of every business we have dealings with? 

exactly. And who among us has the resources to investigate the ethical practices of every business we have dealings with? 

I do. And so do you.  It's not perfect but making a conscious effort as a consumer is voting with your money.  That's quite powerful.

And my equipment budget is for my company, not for me.  10k is not that much.  Pro Cameras cost about 60k.  

• Super Members

Unrelated to this incident but I've been more inclined to support local camera stores. Even if one in my area doesn't carry what I need, you can still look up some Ma + Pop stores online with great prices and customer service.

Same here, shop locally when I can. And I use one of the smaller online stores that are based in small towns Sweden.

Good for the home economy and better for the environment.

• Super Members

How is it better for the environment?

B&H:
A camera is manufactured in China by a person that needs food and energy.
It is flown to America by a plane and pilot and then offloaded by some people who all need energy.
It is transported and then packaged into a warehouse in Brooklyn by people and trucks that use energy.
After I have placed my order it is transported back to the airport by people and trucks consuming energy.
Flown to Sweden by planes and people.
Delivered by a truck to my town by trucks and people.
I walk to the post and pick it up.

LOCALY:
A camera is manufactured in China by a person that needs food and energy.
It is flown to Sweden by a plane and pilot and then offloaded by some people who all need energy.
It is transported and then packaged into a Store in my town.
I walk to the store and pick it up.