MurtlandPhoto
-
Posts
362 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Articles
Posts posted by MurtlandPhoto
-
-
5 hours ago, zerocool22 said:
Allthough for me with the storage space costs at the moment. Braw isnt cutting it. It is better then h265, sure. But I just cant justify the storage costs. I wished they included compressed prores again.
Lately for really long recordings like conferences and lectures I’ve been transcoding the BRAW to h.265 with a conversion LUT and minimal CC, then editing from that. I delete the BRAW once I confirm nothing went wrong. Sure it adds a step, but it keeps my Pyxis in my normal rotation of jobs rather than just brought out for the “big” jobs. For really important shoots I still keep all the BRAW, though.
-
1 hour ago, eatstoomuchjam said:
Let's see how used prices react as well. Judging by B&H, they're reacting very nicely for the CC6K - there's an L-mount one for $1,435 right in condition 9 right now. That's... even slightly lower than the new price was for a minute a few years ago. 😅
My finger was hovering over the checkout button on that one for a few hours today, but it looks like someone nabbed it. I picked one up during the $1500 fire sale in 2024 and regret selling it later. Amazing camera for that price.
-
Quick review after the shoot this morning. I used the Pyxis as a roaming camera for a lecture hall presentation, so it was basically a 4th angle... which is a good thing. Face detect is a no-go for this situation; too many faces. I normally use the wide area AFC window on my Panasonics with great success panning across people in their rows, shots of hands writing and typing, group discussions, etc. I tried to replicate shooting this way with the 12K... no good. Pretty unpredictable. Sometimes it would perform exactly as I'd expect, other times it would refuse to change focus, other times it would hesitate, other times it would stutter back and forth between points.
I used the Sigma 28-105mm f/2.8 today. I tested across a range of focal lengths and focus sensitivity settings. I stuck with a reasonable aperture of f/4.5 as well. It actually did better when zoomed in >85mm. Maybe the compression or blur helps it. I don't know. Overall, I'm not discouraged by this, though. This is a great first effort and I fully believe it will only get better.- eatstoomuchjam and Emanuel
-
1
-
1
-
Well it’s happened! Blackmagic released a beta firmware adding PDAF to the Pyxis 12K. I’ve been playing around with it a bit tonight. It’s really impressive for a first effort. The face detection mode is superb for a standard solo interview. AFC is pretty great but takes a bit to get used to, because it operates a bit differently than my Panasonics. The object tracking mode is its weakest at the moment. That needs some real work.
The other nice feature with this update enabling linear focus throws and the ability to set rotation degrees on focus by wire lenses. If this firmware will work with Tilta’s upcoming PL to L adapter, I’ll be veryyyyyyy happy.
Going to try it out on an actual shoot tomorrow.- eatstoomuchjam and Emanuel
-
1
-
1
-
-
1 hour ago, newfoundmass said:
Content is art. Not all art is equal, but it's still art.
It's like arguing that the people who write instruction manuals or textbooks aren't writers. They are, but that doesn't mean they're Stephen King.
A close relative illustrates user manuals for a high end audio equipment company. Not my cup of tea but it certainly qualifies as art.
-
17 minutes ago, eatstoomuchjam said:
This is an intensely stupid take. For the last several years, BMD have been announcing their entire line of new cameras/gear in their NAB update, regardless of whether they were directly aimed at broadcast. Having been to NAB, I can tell you that a majority of vendors there aren't selling things directly aimed at broadcast. But please don't let any of that get in the way of your dumb pedantry. If Petty had started the stream by saying "Hey, everybody. We're focusing on broadcast for NAB this year, but we'll have another product announcement ahead of (other camera show)," I think that a lot of their owner-operators, including me, would have shrugged, tuned out, and not cared much.
Derp derp derp. BMD have been aggressively pursuing the consumer/prosumer market since 2018 when they released the BMPCC 4K. It is not crazy to be irritated that in what has generally been their yearly new products update, they seemingly abandoned that entire market...
"Multicamera livestream, but with two square streams instead of one rectangular one" is not a revolution. It's tedious evolution. "We needed more data so we upgraded to 100gE" is also not a revolution. And almost no product that they announced was revolutionary, it was "our old product but newer" and/or "a box to convert things."
C'mon now. No one is saying that they only should announce broadcast stuff at NAB. At the same time NAB is precisely when they should announce broadcast stuff. Right?
They pretty clearly stated this would be a broadcast oriented announcement. Folks reading the tea leaves a different way is their own prerogative. I mean no one forced you to watch the full livestream lol. -
To be fair it is a conference for broadcasters by name...
But for real are we surprised? BMD is a much larger company than just consumer/prosumer/pro cine cameras. Everything is in the vertical integration for them – it's been that way for a long time. Hence the 2 hours of introducing a new product segment and then the oodles of support equipment necessary to make it work. -
-
1 hour ago, BTM_Pix said:
There is something about his post about Rob Reiner that has really had a big impact on me.
I thought I’d become desensitised to the depravity, stupidity and contemptuous lies but this one is different.
Almost like a test of what he believes he can get away with and a test of how much people around him would let him get away with.
The answer to both of those is now, clearly, whatever the fuck he wants to.
I had a similar experience with this post. He's done hundreds of worse deeds just a year in to his second term, but this got me particularly upset. He's scum for the sake of being scum.
-
I interviewed a university professor recently that said that these AI companies don’t even understand how their own AI’s work. Unlike any other technology in history where all the work it took to create the tech means the creators have a complete understanding of how it works, he says AI is “alien tech” to its makers.
Puts a new perspective on all these tech companies and the markets betting so big on AI… they have little idea what will happen. So glad the entire U.S. economy is propped up by it at the moment. -
2 hours ago, ac6000cw said:
They had an FX2-like body design (including a flip-up, multi-angle EVF) 9 years ago in the form of the GX8 - https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonic-lumix-dmc-gx8-review/3
That was my very first thought when I saw the FX2. I loved my GX8 back in the day. Sleeper standout right there.
-
16 minutes ago, Emanuel said:
Beautiful : ) Hard to believe that’s from a phone! How tricky is it to stabilize that kind of footage without in-camera help? What tool are you using exactly?
Just Resolve’s stabilization for those shots
-
And here are the raw clips if anyone would like to play around with them https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/17juUhffdIAEu5NJIAvD01zwfPock_mjO?usp=sharing
-
The phone arrived today as expected and I've had a few minutes to play around with the camera. I shot a short test scene using ProRes RAW and ProRes 422 in the Blackmagic app. Here's a quick look at the footage with just Resolve's Apple Log 2 CST applied. Very first observations:
- Open gate is only available in RAW or RAW HQ
- RAW can only recorded to an external drive. I have a great Magsafe SSD that I use for this.
- Sensor stabilization is not available in either raw mode
- Resolve is super sluggish with the raw files unlike ProRes RAW or BRAW files from my S1ii. I hope this gets optimized
- The normal raw controls are there and the footage is very flexible as you'd expect
- I used Resolve's built in Apple Log 2 CST for the test
-
-
28 minutes ago, kye said:
Anyone getting an iPhone 17 Pro / Pro Max?
I am; should be delivered tomorrow. Main reason is it's my normal upgrade cycle time. But, even if it was a year early for me I'd still be compelled to buy it. I've been using my phone for critical pick up shots for a while now and the addition of ProRes RAW makes it even more useful for me this way. The 200mm equivalent telephoto also will be great for casual concert and event photography so I'm pretty happy all around.
- Emanuel, Snowfun and eatstoomuchjam
-
3
-
32 minutes ago, mtol said:
So for those with S1RIIs and S1IIs in hand, is the overheating people are posting on reddit about only occurring with CF express cards, or with SD as well?
I've only used my S1ii with SD cards so far, but I haven't had any overheating issues at all shooting multiple hour+ interviews in open gate 6K24p.
-
4 hours ago, MrSMW said:
So I am switching it around and popping the Sigma 28-70mm f2.8 on the S9 as my run & gun combo with the option of the 18mm for those very few times when I need it.
That 28-70 is just so versatile for it's size. I really want to shoot with primes, but similar to you it seems, the flexibility of that zoom is just too good to ignore most times. I keep the 20-60 close by if I need to go wider, but I've been eyeing that 18mm.
-
2 hours ago, MrSMW said:
Not sure it qualifies as a mirrorless though! 😘
Lol reading comprehension was not my strong suit today
-
Nikon D700. Rich, vibrant colors and contrast straight out of camera and the best metering system ever made. The shutter sound is the voice of angels.
-
13 minutes ago, MrSMW said:
Is that correct?
If so, doesn’t interest me and much prefer my 640/4000 on the S5ii etc.
The new camera at least has FF 60p instead of the crop and yes, I’d like that, but then again, I really like my 6k 30p OG which I have already.
I'm seeing folks on other forums say in VLOG it's 640/5000
-
1 hour ago, eatstoomuchjam said:
Were there reports of it overheating beyond some reviewers finding that in the most taxing mode (6k open gate IIRC), it would overheat after more than an hour of continuous recording?
Wide range of reports from folks in wedding videography forums especially. The overheating issue varies camera body to camera body and isn't always predictable. Not a good combination for wedding shooters. I don't shoot weddings anymore personally, but my gear needs closely align with wedding needs. Most importantly, I need to know I can hit record and walk away without fear of problems.
-
13 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:
Did you open it yet?
Nope and I returned it. Panasonic's reliability has long been a reason I use them. The reports of overheating made this camera DOA for me. Maybe they'll sort it out in the future and I'll pick up a used one.

New Price Reductions On BM PYXIS 6K and 6K Cinema Camera
In: Cameras
Posted
The 12K line has a steep discount going now, too.