Andrew Reid

Hey, 

so I'm in the middle of editing some footage that I shot a while ago. I was shooting with two cameras and both cameras' white balances were set to sunny. We were shooting in a forest and didn't have any control over the lighting and dialling in the white balance for each shot manually was not possible. The footage we shot around noon has a very strong, green colour cast with quite a few blown out light patches whereas the footage we shot in the afternoon is lit fairly evenly and doesn't have a colour cast. 

How do I go about removing or correcting the greenish color cast? I never used somewhat advanced colour correction tools other than the histogram and this is the first time I encountered an issue like this. My initial plan is to rely at the vectorscope and shift around the overall colour around so that the white dot in the vectorscope (whatever you call that) moves towards the middle instead of one of the extremes. 

I just attemted it by pushing the entire image towards blue, so now the vectorscope moved to the center and the entire image looks a lot more neutral, so I think I'm on the right track. 

Is there a better way to do this? It doesn't have to be perfect but some help would be greatly appreciated. 

post-33802-0-92451800-1406108487_thumb.j

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

You had the right approach. Just think about what Alexis van Hurkman (author of the DaVinci Resolve manuals) says about color casts: Light must have a certain quality or else your image has no feel, look and style. Sometimes it's not advisable to remove a cast completely in primary CC, only to have to recreate it later with much effort.

mozim.. you can try using a negative green by dragging a color wheel a little towards the yellow to red side.. that should be the same as a negative multiply on the green while also doing a bit of a temperature shift in your scene to more of a sunset feel. it's gonna be a little tough though with all the moss on the trees, but moss can turn brown when it's dry.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Question: Can one change the saturation of colour in an image just by altering the luma curves?

Do luma curves have any impact here?

Yes, it's usually done by increasing blackpoint and contrast. Although when you increase saturation with a saturation op, you can increase saturation without changing luma. Changing only saturation will push pixel color values to their extremes, away from a relative center. You can also change luma and contrast, and then de-saturate, leaving luma and contrast unchanged. So basically, the two properties can be separated and thought of as independent, but are also affected together with most RGB color corrections.

color  chip1.jpg => chip2.jpg  lum  chip1lum.jpg => chip2lum.jpg

RGB val of [".4",".1",".02"] with blackpoint + .2 = [".25","0","0"], saturation goes from .77 to 1, luma changes from .158 to .053. Luma is modified with saturation by changing blackpoint. 

color  chip1.jpg => chip3.jpg  lum  chip1lum.jpg => chip3lum.jpg

RGB val of [".4",".1",".02"] with saturation + 2 = [".64",".04","-0.11"] saturation goes from .77 to 1.5, luma unchanged .158. Saturation is changed but luma stays the same by using a saturation op.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Thank you for the reply Sunyata. You seem to have great experience in this and I am way too ignorant in colour grading to follow.

I am asking the question because I've been finding that altering the luma curves does have an effect on my saturation level. Sometimes I lower the highlights and find colour saturation increasing, lift the shadows and find the colour decreasing and washing out. I thought they shouldn't be dependent on one another at all. This is making me too uncomfortable altering the luma curves as I don't know what effect it will have on the saturation and whether I will have inconsistency throughout the project.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest fe4a3f5e8381673ce80017d29a8375f1

I've just received my BMPCC and would like to jump headfirst into the scary world of Resolve. I'm proficient at grading in FCPX, but I'm a total novice with Resolve.

I can't find any training packages that teach Resolve from the ground up using Resolve 11. Would I be ok with a Resolve 9 or 10 training package, or can anyone recommend something please? I just want a beginners course for now.

Hi everybody,

I've some questions about grading. I've made a little test on my GH3, just to find the right way for expose my shots in  order to correct and grade it correctly.

First I denoise my shot with Neat Video, the I correct - if needed - with fast Color Correction and finaly I grade with FilmConvert and sharpen a little bit. My question is simple :

Is it the right order ? The good way ?

Thanks for your feedback

The test :

I've just received my BMPCC and would like to jump headfirst into the scary world of Resolve. I'm proficient at grading in FCPX, but I'm a total novice with Resolve.

I can't find any training packages that teach Resolve from the ground up using Resolve 11. Would I be ok with a Resolve 9 or 10 training package, or can anyone recommend something please? I just want a beginners course for now.

Hi Matt, Here is the very best resource I've been able to find for those just starting out with Resolve.
http://www.davidvickers.co.uk/search/label/davinci%20resolve?m=1

I'm looking for a way to diffuse footage that looks like a filter.  My reference is this article by Shane Hurlbut about Tiffen diffusion filters:

http://www.hurlbutvisuals.com/blog/2012/06/diffusion-for-the-digital-age-the-use-of-glass-filtration/

I'd like to do this in post (PPro, AE or Resolve) if possible.  Any ideas?  Can I get a similar look?  Softening of skin, especially for women, and blooming of highlights yet retaining some detail in the shadows?

'm looking for a way to diffuse footage that looks like a filter.  My reference is this article by Shane Hurlbut about Tiffen diffusion filters:

http://www.hurlbutvisuals.com/blog/2012/06/diffusion-for-the-digital-age-the-use-of-glass-filtration/

I'd like to do this in post (PPro, AE or Resolve) if possible.  Any ideas?  Can I get a similar look?  Softening of skin, especially for women, and blooming of highlights yet retaining some detail in the shadows?

I'd turn to Magic Bullet Looks first, which has a useful set of blur tools such as diffusion, edge blur and tilt shift.

Magic Bullet Cosmo is specifically designed to soften skin, but you have to be very subtle because it can look ridiculous when turned up.

hey nahua-

i didn't bother to adjust levels of the bottom layer, but of course you could do that to match the black diffusion filter. also the blur is exaggerated, you'd probably want to drop the gain a little to make the glows less opaque. this is really more of a glow effect than a blur when you build it manually.

diffuse_effect.jpg

• 4 weeks later...