what happened to camera hacking?

jagnje

When I first started out filming with DSLRs it wa a very exciting time, magic lantern changed so much, gh1-gh2s amazing details with bitrate hacks...it was a very exciting time, where we weren`t waiting on a new camera, but a new camera hack. what happened to this "movement"? have cameras been pushed to the end, are  they hack protected that well or have manufacturers just give us everything we wanted in budget dslr/slr? Magic lanter seems to be at a standstill, no hacks for the GH series since the gh3. there seems to be alot of effort put in hacking the nikon cameras, but is taking very long due to a small team.

So, what do you think? With cameras being more and more app based, why aren`t there any apps? we have them for phones, tablest, but not cameras...

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

When I first started out filming with DSLRs it wa a very exciting time, magic lantern changed so much, gh1-gh2s amazing details with bitrate hacks...it was a very exciting time, where we weren`t waiting on a new camera, but a new camera hack. what happened to this "movement"? have cameras been pushed to the end, are  they hack protected that well or have manufacturers just give us everything we wanted in budget dslr/slr? Magic lanter seems to be at a standstill, no hacks for the GH series since the gh3. there seems to be alot of effort put in hacking the nikon cameras, but is taking very long due to a small team.

So, what do you think? With cameras being more and more app based, why aren`t there any apps? we have them for phones, tablest, but not cameras...

On youtube, last evening, I stumbled upon the Magic Lantern hacks (actually the extra firmware, since it doesn't really mess with the original firmware), and was amazed by the features. There were some excellent ones, and the whole movement was really path-breaking in almost every way. But, I went through a lot of videos, and I realized, that Magic Lantern had way too many features. And, most users used about 10-20% of those in total, so most of these features were wasted.

Most importantly, Magic Lantern had some serious money and time constraints, since all the excellent work was Pro Bono. 

If Magic Lantern had created a KickStarter kind of campaign (I wonder if Canon would have tried to block such an effort?), it could have gathered the necessary funding to be able to dedicate more time and money to such good work. After all, no matter how good an idea is, if it doesn't sell, it dies out. 

Different theory: video quality-improving hacks have become much less relevant since Blackmagic cameras are on the market. If your primary concern is image quality, buy a Blackmagic (cheaply even - second-hand BM Pockets can be had for about $400), shoot raw or ProRes, and be happy. Other cameras might be more user friendly, but that user friendliness often is compromised when you install hacks. 

I think it comes down to a more mature market that ask more of its cameras and the progression of online videography in general. It's no longer stills cameras w a nifty video mode that a bunch of diy peeps/ hobbyist/maybe some promotional people are having fun messing around with. Nowadays as web video becomes a more and more omnipresent and culturally prevelant form of communication people are looking for more stability/intuitiveness from their cameras. As awesome and beautiful as ml raw is it is by no means intuitive or stable. ;)

The market is also more fragmented and people have tons of options that can get them tons/most of the features they want/prioritize at a price they can bare w no hacking or fiddling required.

The Aperatus project definitely keeps the hacking spirit alive and makes more sense from a usability perspective because of the ground up nature of it. If your interested in this sort of thing that is definitely worth checking out!

The difference between now and then is that manufacturers are delivering on the video potential of stills cameras, we have products like the GH4, the NX1 and Sony's latest offerings. So the need to hack to get advanced video has largely gone away. There are too many good options for stock cameras, and more are constantly arriving.

The difference between now and then is that manufacturers are delivering on the video potential of stills cameras, we have products like the GH4, the NX1 and Sony's latest offerings. So the need to hack to get advanced video has largely gone away. There are too many good options for stock cameras, and more are constantly arriving.

Indeed - and the way to squeeze out the very best video quality from those cameras is to connect them to an external recorder. That will give you better video quality than hacks will achieve.

Many solid points here. I agree, that cameras largly deliver what you need. But still...lets say that sony a6000 had live histogram, false color, 100mbs...those are simple things that were enabled on "antient" cameras. I'm sure that everybody who films with that camera would have bought an "app" like that. I know that most external recorders or external screen will give you that, but those are a 1000€ add ons on a 500€ camera. Also that add on makes it a rig instead of a pocket camera. And please tell me who wouldn't own one if it did raw video :) 

I know nothing about programing but, I guess someone could make something out of this.

https://sony-pmca.appspot.com/

Well I sure do hope for them and their familylies sake that they're alive and well. But I don't know. I've been using the same build of ml on my camera for about 3 years now and it's the only reasson I don't get rid of that camera and a reasson why I will probably always own a canon camera. Unles ml or a similar software is doable on another brand in the future.