Nebula 4200 - 5-axis gimbal

Brother

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Filmpower posted several videos of the Nebula 4000 in action, but exactly zero videos of the Nebula 4200 in action.  Something tells me the 5-axis design is a flop and they don't want pre-orders cancelled if they were to post a video.  Don't you think that If it worked well, they would have posted several videos already?

Filmpower posted several videos of the Nebula 4000 in action, but exactly zero videos of the Nebula 4200 in action.  Something tells me the 5-axis design is a flop and they don't want pre-orders cancelled if they were to post a video.  Don't you think that If it worked well, they would have posted several videos already?

When something works you post footage... Lots of it. Like these guys did. Anyone can look at the current design and quickly see why it cannot work.

In the demonstration with the 5-axis handle, he doesn't simulate the bounce from walking, which is exactly what the 5-axis is designed to correct.  He just smoothly swings it from side to side.  C'mon man!  

Maybe that's because simulating walking bounce would show how unstable the 3-axis gimbal itself is, nevermind the functionality or non-functionality of the spring arms (go to 23:15 and 23:50 in the video to see the gimbal do the funky chicken). To be fair, he may not have had the camera balanced very well, but...I think I'd have my mess together at a trade show. In fact, I'd take only a fool-proof sample of the product.

But yeah, the whole thing is odd, and it doesn't seem that Filmpower even understands the strangeness of "demoing" a product whose sole distinguishing feature is not even demonstrated. 

Yeah. Doesn't look like they've got it down with that. And I don't know what kind of marketing it is that you'll depend on customers to blindly buy something and demo it for you??!!1! You are the one with the product, then you are the one who should compile some demo footage!

Atleast they listened I guess...

I like the organic flow of an electronicless steadi-/glidecam. With this... sometimes I have seen some very motorized corrections going on. I get the thing with steadi-/glidecams is, that you need to hire someone, or put in tons or practice, because it takes time to master and with this kind of thing it's more about calibration than flying it, which is great (and terrifying), because it does enable everyone to set it up and they're pretty much done, but to me it's not quite there yet and wouldn't jump on the bandwagon quite yet unless you feel like you have to be an early adaptor and like to tinker around. Not sure about the pistol grip type stabilizer either. I think because of the small form factor, the degree of stabilization is rather limited. I have also seen quite a bit of up- and down bouncing. Someone should come up with 4-axis stabilizers (I've seen some projects, but they all seem to have been abandoned), having some kind of shock absorber that naturally dampens up and down motions caused by walking. We've all seen the MOVI getting a lot of competition that got really affordable, real quick. Now, it won't get much cheaper for very specialized gear like this, that already comes from a Chinese manufacturer, but there's still room for quite a few alternatives and a sub 500 USD solution. So, I'm gonna wait this out just a little longer...

To early to tell... The trade show stand was for Wodden Camera, Metabones, SLRMagic and Filmpower, and the guy was fluent in Japanese, which makes me think he is probably just a local rep and not a anyone from Filmpower. Perhaps that explains why he didn't have a clue what to do with the gimbal or how to configure it.

Still, it surprised me how huge the gimbal is (at 24:10). It looks like a full sized Ronin on a popsicle stick. The other hand gimbals I've seen are proportioned and compact. This one doesn't look like it can be really operated with a single hand... Regarding the 5 axis version, let's see if all those who alledgedly are about to receive the first shipped units are willing to test it out and post some footage. This gimbal so far seems to lack the compactness and travel-friendly size of one-handed gimbals and the reliability of larger models.

• 3 weeks later...

I've got the pilotfl h1+  I've had my eye on this because the pilotfly is flaky - at least with my setup (nikon 5300 tokina 11-20).  This must use identical electronics to the pilotfly, so the setup will be intense - and explains why in the first russian vid he got crap behaviour out of the box.  The main problem with the pilotfly is roll axis drift.  I have to calibrate it several times during a shoot.  So far this one looks as flaky.  

Just found this:

Finally an actual demonstration video! Thanks for posting.

I notice two things: 1. Noticeable horizontal jerkiness at around 2:15. Look at the sign posts or any vertical line. 2. The video is from a place in Poland that is or is going to be selling these, so probably not the most objective demonstration.

Finally an actual demonstration video! Thanks for posting.

I notice two things: 1. Noticeable horizontal jerkiness at around 2:15. Look at the sign posts or any vertical line. 2. The video is from a place in Poland that is or is going to be selling these, so probably not the most objective demonstration.

You mean 1:15? I think thats just technique - he's walking sideways here so using 2 hands its natural that it will shift back and forth as he walks - this is actually where a single handed gimble wins out.  One thing this vid shows though is that there is lots of room between the screen and the roll motor: the pilotfly screen is virtually totally obscured with my setup - I have to use separate monitor to see what I'm doing.  I'd say it looks like its a slightly beefier pilotfly - with all the caveats that entails:  slow setup, really a one lens setup, be prepared for the occasional spasm and constantly re-calibrating.  I use mine on real estate shoots; If I had a crew and talent I'd think twice about pulling it out,

tldr: I think it'll be like the pilofly: not quite ready for primetime (but I might buy one anyway :) ).