Sony A7R II Review - Part 1 - Summoning the devil

Andrew Reid

I am very happy with my A7s for its lowlight and 1080 video, but would like to have a camera that is great at stills too. So, 2 years after this purchase there seems to be better alternatives out there and I am thinking of selling my A7s, before it's too late.

Is there a consensus regarding the 1080 from A7rii? Is it on par with A7s? Would Nikon d810, d750, A7rii be good 1080p options for also great stills - landscapes? Some of us still do not care about all this 4K trend and want a solid 1080p.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, yiomo said:

I am very happy with my A7s for its lowlight and 1080 video, but would like to have a camera that is great at stills too. So, 2 years after this purchase there seems to be better alternatives out there and I am thinking of selling my A7s, before it's too late.

Is there a consensus regarding the 1080 from A7rii? Is it on par with A7s? Would Nikon d810, d750, A7rii be good 1080p options for also great stills - landscapes? Some of us still do not care about all this 4K trend and want a solid 1080p.

Frankly we do not understand this talk about 1080 ...
downscale 4K to 1080 ..
simple

3 hours ago, yiomo said:

A7rii has a very respectable 1080p in FF mode. It has less rolling shutter artifacts and is a bit sharper (albeit with more aliasing artifacts):

Capture.PNG\

Also, in that mode it does not have great low light ability, but you can always switch to 4k in S35 for the times that lowlight is necessary. 

While my final output is also 1080p, a 4K capture will always give you a better 1080p image. You can either transcode, use proxies (automatic in both FCPX & Premiere), or if you use a small external recorder such as the atomos ninja, you can downsample automatically 4K to great a 1080p hdmi output that rivals the A7s. 

29 minutes ago, Don Kotlos said:

A7rii has a very respectable 1080p in FF mode. It has less rolling shutter artifacts and is a bit sharper (albeit with more aliasing artifacts):

Capture.PNG\

Also, in that mode it does not have great low light ability, but you can always switch to 4k in S35 for the times that lowlight is necessary. 

While my final output is also 1080p, a 4K capture will always give you a better 1080p image. You can either transcode, use proxies (automatic in both FCPX & Premiere), or if you use a small external recorder such as the atomos ninja, you can downsample automatically 4K to great a 1080p hdmi output that rivals the A7s. 

Indeed, but in the case of A7r ii everyone complains how hot it gets in 4k and how unusable it is after a couple of minutes. The problem with these trend setting cameras are that they are very badly conceived, not so reliable, and not as sturdy as dslrs.. Sad but true. CaNikon products might be behind in all this but they can be depended on.  I could compromise i n sturdiness and horrible ergonomics but this whole thing with this "heatgate" is ridiculous at least. It's not my opinion but one that I read on many reviews. 

I am saying this because all this latest technology gadgets are full of compromises. To me 1080p is perfectly acceptable to be used for cinema screenings and whatnot. Since it has been around for quite sometime, I was wondering what a good alternative for A7s(that offers a great 1080p) is. I am hoping that this alternative could give me great stills as well. From what I understand Nikon D810, D750 do that with good 1080p and A7rii does it too, but wasn't sure about the quality.

It is a shame that no one really talks about more complete 1080p capable cameras now, like it is something prehistoric. Personally, I would rather purchase a Canon or Nikon with "just" 1080p but great ergonomics, sturdiness, reliability than the new 4k,6k, 8k trend from Sony (or other) that has severe limitations.

If I sound a bit frustrated is because, although A7s gives me great 1080p, it doesn't do much more. Sometimes I almost regret selling my 5d, because in terms of construction the Sony A7 series is a joke, relatively speaking.

Thanks for the reply though.  I will have to choose at some point between the a7rii or a 1080p camera like the ones from Nikon.

Cheers

8 minutes ago, yiomo said:

Indeed, but in the case of A7r ii everyone complains how hot it gets in 4k and how unusable it is after a couple of minutes. The problem with these trend setting cameras are that they are very badly conceived, not so reliable, and not as sturdy as dslrs.. Sad but true. CaNikon products might be behind in all this but they can be depended on.  I could compromise i n sturdiness and horrible ergonomics but this whole thing with this "heatgate" is ridiculous at least. It's not my opinion but one that I read on many reviews. 

I am saying this because all this latest technology gadgets are full of compromises. To me 1080p is perfectly acceptable to be used for cinema screenings and whatnot. Since it has been around for quite sometime, I was wondering what a good alternative for A7s(that offers a great 1080p) is. I am hoping that this alternative could give me great stills as well. From what I understand Nikon D810, D750 do that with good 1080p and A7rii does it too, but wasn't sure about the quality.

It is a shame that no one really talks about more complete 1080p capable cameras now, like it is something prehistoric. Personally, I would rather purchase a Canon or Nikon with "just" 1080p but great ergonomics, sturdiness, reliability than the new 4k,6k, 8k trend from Sony (or other) that has severe limitations.

If I sound a bit frustrated is because, although A7s gives me great 1080p, it doesn't do much more. Sometimes I almost regret selling my 5d, because in terms of construction the Sony A7 series is a joke, relatively speaking.

Thanks for the reply though.  I will have to choose at some point between the a7rii or a 1080p camera like the ones from Nikon.

Cheers

As someone who uses a A7r 2 and used to own a Nikon D750: the A7r 2 is a far better stills and video camera. The FF 1080p is great and gives you a great bitrate and leeway in post. I love the Full Frame 4K on it, great look and low rolling shutter, and working at a theater typically downscale it to 1080p for final delivery. I almost never use the Cropped 4K mode. Sure it has better detail and low light, but the Rolling shutter on it is horrendous.

11 hours ago, yiomo said:

Cheers

I disagree with you, I own a7rII, I never had problems ... log in 4K and dissent from your opinion.
My thinking is better to use 4k then use NR, grading..ecc ... and eventually go to 1080...

• 1 year later...