Got lost in the woods during filming

dwijip

Been shooting out in the forest last sunday with the Contax Zeiss 35-70 f3.4 and 80-200 f4. The 100-300 which is supposed to be better has yet to arrive. I find that 80-200 is much better without a teleconverter attached to it, much more crisp images. Graded using filmconvert and loving it. I think the contax glass lineup compliments what filmconvert tries to do.

On a sidenote, I got lost during filming couple of times in the bush. I think I got disoriented while trying to avoid the race tracks. There was no signal and phone battery was on 5%. I hated myself for walking into the forest so unprepared. Almost went to the point of panic until I eventually found my way back. Never knew I would need orienteering skills for filming. Thank god I took minimal gear that day. Below is the video

003.thumb.jpg.6aae5d26d84025f70b6c11f40e002.thumb.jpg.010c4cef48d5097e995db4a705001.thumb.jpg.ed5110c0a9d7342d2c0f658a42

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

You've got some pretty cool actions shots in there. Mostly in the 2nd half of the video in my opinion. I really love the shot at 2:42!

Overall I think it is too long. I don't like the intro. Some of the slow motion scenes are boring (when nothing spectacular is happening, slomo is just annoying).

And I want to hear those engines scream...! Even if you didn't record proper audio, maybe you can try to put some of the internal audio under the music?

I think a shorter cut, with just the action, only the best shots, and some engine sound, would make a pretty good action video.

Hi Julian, thanks for the feedback. I agree with you 100% but the thing is this was a favor for a friend so naturally I had to include all the shots of his daughter's team to full extent haha. Thats why those odd long shots are there. I would say he's some sort of a client even though he's not paying me or anything. I also agree about the engine sounds but I just couldn't get a consistent track together because half the time I was too far away from the riders to capture any decent volume sound and the slomo mode doesn't capture any sound on the GH4. If I had enough time to edit I would've sort of faked it with sounds from other shots but had to edit in a day. 

Anyways really appreciate the comment and your honest opinion. It's really something I value as most people don't care enough to be honest about my work. Thank you.