Using 4K to simulate two-camera shoot (and other things)

Sekhar

I had a chance to cover an amateur fashion show over the July 4th weekend at a local (Anaheim, CA) cultural event. I had only my NX1 and thought I'd share a few of the interesting uses I found for shooting in 4K. My video is at https://youtu.be/PsHTzuANSHo.

4K on 1080p sequence will give you a free (and great quality) zoom. And that lets you go wide (by scaling the 4K at 50%) and then tight (by going to 100%). Which gives you:

1. A way to fake a two-camera shoot. See the first part where the adults do the walk and you see the wide and tights shots back/forth.
  2. Or you get just go tight without a zoom, like I did in the girls (100%) or boys (~60%) sections.
  3. You can get just the composition you want after the fact by cropping as needed.
  4. You can also fake a zoom in/out and pan to cover the people you want as I was forced to do in a few places.

What I'm saying is: even if you don't care for 4K, shooting in 4K can be of real/practical help/use. Let me know your thoughts. And please go easy on the models, they were just attendees and their kids.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

That's a very big reason why I sold my 5D3 to get the GH4. The poor 5D3 can only get 720p in 60fps.. This is the last video I did with my old Canon 5D3 and it's also a fashion show.. One camera in 720P really leaves not much option for the editing.. https://youtu.be/AIwhALpg0L0 

​At least you made it interesting with what you had. Covering a runway is a bit different though in that once you have a viewpoint like you had in the video you have everything in the frame, and you can add interest by creative cutting. The challenge with a wider frame, like a stage in my case, though is that you need to shoot at two focal lengths: one to cover the whole stage to show what's going on and one to go tight. My point was that if you shoot with 4K, you can do both in a sense, as if you shot with two cameras and mixed. Which can be a lifesaver.

Did you do anything with the GH4 to take advantage of the 4K in particular? Please share if you did. Always good to see others' work.

I often like to make slow zooms to have some dynamics in my shots, especially if it's static shots just to keep some interest going. That was also my main object going from 1080p to 4k when I got my GH4. I tested out a Nikon 28mm AIS some time ago and put that kind of fake dolly/slider into this little test:

8K is nice but I think I'm gonna hold on to my cash and go straight to 16K. 8K is just to blurry for watching youtube on a 8" screen.

​To hell with you guys.  I'm going to shoot an entire film in real time, with 28 different scenes, and in one take --from the top of the empire state building.  http://gearburn.com/2012/06/the-aware-2-worlds-smallest-and-fastest-gigapixel-camera/

I often like to make slow zooms to have some dynamics in my shots, especially if it's static shots just to keep some interest going. That was also my main object going from 1080p to 4k when I got my GH4. I tested out a Nikon 28mm AIS some time ago and put that kind of fake dolly/slider into this little test:

The movement done in post worked nicely!

I personally like to use very little gear when I'm out and about. Seems like this works nicely to give a little bit of movement and life to static shots when you only need 1080p output!

The movement done in post worked nicely!

I personally like to use very little gear when I'm out and about. Seems like this works nicely to give a little bit of movement and life to static shots when you only need 1080p output!

​Thanks. Me too. The less gear I have to drag the better. Sometimes I have to take some gear, but I really like the possibilities the 4K - 1080p crop gives in post.

​At least you made it interesting with what you had. Covering a runway is a bit different though in that once you have a viewpoint like you had in the video you have everything in the frame, and you can add interest by creative cutting. The challenge with a wider frame, like a stage in my case, though is that you need to shoot at two focal lengths: one to cover the whole stage to show what's going on and one to go tight. My point was that if you shoot with 4K, you can do both in a sense, as if you shot with two cameras and mixed. Which can be a lifesaver.

Did you do anything with the GH4 to take advantage of the 4K in particular? Please share if you did. Always good to see others' work.

​Haven't done much with GH4 yet. Only 2 anamorphic tests. But I'm going on a vacation next week and would definitely film some stuff with the new camera during the trip. I bought a small and cheap stabiliser to bring on the road and now I just wish I could have a small drone. lol

That's a very big reason why I sold my 5D3 to get the GH4. The poor 5D3 can only get 720p in 60fps.. This is the last video I did with my old Canon 5D3 and it's also a fashion show.. One camera in 720P really leaves not much option for the editing.. https://youtu.be/AIwhALpg0L0 

​Don't get me wrong I love the GH4 for a lot of reasons, but I sold mine and bought a mk3. The RAW recording is amazing, and 720p 60p looks really really nice when you shoot raw. 

One could argue that noise removal/coloring/web compression matter just as much, if not more than the camera specs these days. I'm having fun with the mk3, work flow is a pain but shooting with that camera is definitely not. 

​Don't get me wrong I love the GH4 for a lot of reasons, but I sold mine and bought a mk3. The RAW recording is amazing, and 720p 60p looks really really nice when you shoot raw. 

One could argue that noise removal/coloring/web compression matter just as much, if not more than the camera specs these days. I'm having fun with the mk3, work flow is a pain but shooting with that camera is definitely not. 

I definitely like the build of the mk3 camera body. It feels great to hold and the biggest thing I miss about the 5D is actually still photography. It is a much better still photo camera than GH4. I also tried the ML RAW workflow with the it but it was very inconvenient in the post, so I gave it up.

After exploring with the GH4 for a while, I really like the video quality and the light camera body. Plus a cheap old Canon FD or Helios 44 2 produces great images. Instead of a Canon 24 70 F2.8, you can actually get a bunch of the super nice manual lens. Besides, the Lumix 12 35 OIS is super steady. Much better than the stabiliser on canon lenses from my experiences. The DR of GH4 is lower than the 5D RAW for sure, but for me, it's already enough once you exposed correctly and grade in post.

What I don't like about the GH4 is that the photo quality is not as good as the 5D3, and the LCD screen color looks very differently than the actually footage. Maybe it's because of the touch function that makes the screen looks bad? I don't know. Sometimes I miss my 5D with the the hotshoe flashlight combo and wish I were rich enough to keep them both. lol. 

This is such a great feature with 4k when you're delivering in 1080p. The samples posted here look really good. I just shot a commercial and I'm doing the same thing - fake dolly shots by moving around the frame. Sekhar and elkanah77, nice job.

Chris