They call it a new (Blackmagic) cinema camera...

Emanuel

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 1/8/2024 at 4:42 AM, mercer said:

Looks cool... but... just buy a Komodo and have a better camera. 

Any guesses whatsoever at pricing for the Nexus G1??

It surely wouldn't be at Komodo pricing levels!! 😮 

But I bet a Z CAM E2-S6 would be a better buy (only US$2.2K) 

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

Any guesses whatsoever at pricing for the Nexus G1??

It surely wouldn't be at Komodo pricing levels!! 😮 

But I bet a Z CAM E2-S6 would be a better buy (only US$2.2K) 

Just a guess, but I would assume this thing is gonna cost around $5000 (with camera) or more. So for that kinda money... yeah just get a Komodo. 

Yeah you can easily enough get a RED Komodo for $5K secondhand (even less by the time the Nexus G1 finally is available!). 

But personally I'd rather not pay the RED tax and instead have a Panasonic BS1H or ZCam E2-S6 for half the cost. 

4 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Yeah you can easily enough get a RED Komodo for $5K secondhand (even less by the time the Nexus G1 finally is available!). 

But personally I'd rather not pay the RED tax and instead have a Panasonic BS1H or ZCam E2-S6 for half the cost. 

With the mere existence of the Komodo, I think the "Red Tax" may not exist as much anymore.

That said, that is the point of BM, Panasonic and Z-Cam, I suppose... very good/great cameras for less. But it doesn't take too long of a search on YouTube/Vimeo to see why someone may pay a little more for the Komodo instead of those other cameras.

Of course, I can only speak for myself. Everybody has their own needs, wants or opinions.

For me, I am done with any camera over a certain price that doesn't offer some form of internal raw or ProRes. I'd much rather shoot 1080p raw or ProRes than 4K on some crappressed codec.

With regards to this post, I don't think this mod is really geared towards your average video shooter, so that in and of itself, puts it closer to Komodo territory. Even with the mod, at its heart it's a Pocket 6K and although I have seen amazing work shot with the camera, I'm unsure if the upgrades are worth the cost of admission with the other options on the market.

Assuming my price assumption is correct, a C70 with its DGO sensor or an R3 or Z9 may be better options.

5 minutes ago, mercer said:

With the mere existence of the Komodo, I think the "Red Tax" may not exist as much anymore.

Komodo-X is a $10K camera just for the barebones brain. (although year the OG Komodo is a few thousand cheaper). 

The RED Tax still exists, it's just not as hefty as it used to be. 

5 hours ago, IronFilm said:

He'd have to be a pretty pessimistic estimator, or seriously experienced at doing mods like this, for that number to be anything other than wildly optimistic.  

There might still be a RED tax, even on the OG Komodo, but you're buying into an ecosystem, rather than than a very niche mod.  Depending on the footage you look at online, there was a mojo to the OG Komodo that I haven't seen on the modern BMPCC models.

Good luck to the person making the product, but I'm not really that sure where the final product sits.  I watched a video from a documentary shooter about what matters and doesn't in buying cameras, and his number one criteria was reliability / ruggedness, which I suspect won't be high on a mod like this.  R&D for commercial products is a long and complicated process involving many iterations of destruction testing and the like, which likely aren't going to be done here.  Let alone warranty support etc.

11 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Komodo-X is a $10K camera just for the barebones brain. (although year the OG Komodo is a few thousand cheaper). 

The RED Tax still exists, it's just not as hefty as it used to be. 

Yeah the original is $6K for the brain, although the "brain" concept isn't as limiting with the Komodo as it is with other Red cameras.

And although I wish the guy luck... it's a really cool mod... it seems a little unrealistic at that price with the camera included.

That said, I'm not the target market for this. Even at $3000, I'd rather have an R5/R5C and if they didn't exist, at that price point, I'd still rather save up the money for the Komodo.

But if he can manage to keep the cost below $3K, I think it would be well worth a look if you're a BM shooter. 

On 1/17/2024 at 1:33 AM, kye said:

Good luck to the person making the product, but I'm not really that sure where the final product sits.  

Yeah the premium buyers are not price sensitive enough to care, they'll just get something in between a RED Komodo for $6K at the very low end through to a secondhand ARRI ALEXA Mini for $20K at the other end (or even nicer, such as an ARRI 35). btw, isn't it crazy how cheap the Mini is these days??

While the low end budget buyers are just going to go instead with ZCam E2 series / Panasonic BGH1 / BS1H / BMD Micro Camera / RED Komodo, for similar or much much less cost.  (or low end budget buyers might even just simply say "screw it", and not care about the box format, and will get instead a P4K / S5mk2 / FX30 / etc)

On 1/17/2024 at 1:33 AM, kye said:

I watched a video from a documentary shooter about what matters and doesn't in buying cameras, and his number one criteria was reliability / ruggedness

Documentary shoots are rarely shooting with a "box style camera".

Unless it's a high end doco, then they're using an ARRI Mini (or ARRI 35 now). 

Or if they're needing high frame rates, so they use a RED. But even that's less common, now that Sony etc (heck, even Canon!) can do good slow motion on their cameras. 

• 2 months later...