iPhone 15 Camera Update - Released

SRV1981

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
4 hours ago, SRV1981 said:

I felt the image he created was nice but his analysis is balanced. Seems hopeful for the future. 

I zapped through the footage. Looks very nice. Looking forward to watch the whole thing with some snacks and some Radler. Thanks for posting. Presentation sounds also likeable, just like the presenter. Btw, the camping site video with the kids on the playground was nicely and engaging filmed. Like kye has responded to my criticism, footage looks like it can take some grading pretty well. I wished Panny would give us a compact cam with a dual gain one inch sensor and a manual focus clutch for 800 to 900 Euro/Usd. I will try the M10 or LG V60 route some time soon though. cheers

1 hour ago, PannySVHS said:

I zapped through the footage. Looks very nice. Looking forward to watch the whole thing with some snacks and some Radler. Thanks for posting. Presentation sounds also likeable, just like the presenter. Btw, the camping site video with the kids on the playground was nicely and engaging filmed. Like kye has responded to my criticism, footage looks like it can take some grading pretty well. I wished Panny would give us a compact cam with a dual gain one inch sensor and a manual focus clutch for 800 to 900 Euro/Usd. I will try the M10 or LG V60 route some time soon though. cheers

Do you plan on using motion cam ?

1 hour ago, SRV1981 said:

Do you plan on using motion cam ?

I plan to primarily use it with McPro24 for 10bit log, Motioncam rather as a luxury for raw cinema vignettes and image quality galore.:) I must say I was really impressed by some of the results i achieved with my Lumix LX15 i  8bit 4k. But under vety few conditions it looked like video no matter what grading trick i tried to pull off. Its raw files in photo mode have been a great joy to play with too. The M10 has a 1/1.33 sensor which equals a 2/2.6 sensor which is a tiny bit larger than the LX15 in its 4K mode, being about 2/3 inch sensor gate. So the M10 seems pretty tempting for its price. Buch better battery life too than a Bmpcc.😊

56 minutes ago, SRV1981 said:

I Enjoyed this!  Not a fan of the color palette regardless of camera a bit heavy and dark for my taste but that said it was enough for me to be interested in the narrative 

It was graded like a feature film, that's why it's so dark.

Here's a still from the video:

image.thumb.png.03271d39091822683ab2b4b414408cdd.png

Here's a still from one of the Bourne movies, shot on film:

Bourne movies vlcsnap-2022-03-19-16h15m27s157.png

The iPhone one is a little darker in the highlights, but it's also overcast, whereas the Bourne image is in full sun on white buildings, so that makes sense.  The iPhone one has a little less contrast too, which is partly appropriate due to the weather, but also likely to simply be that in modern times people seem to be afraid of contrast.

People all over the internet are using the phrase "cinematic" willy-nilly but seem to have lost contact with reality in terms of what movies actually look like - most "cinematic" content looks more like video than a dad with a handcam.

1 hour ago, Emanuel said:

It seems to still have a video look - it's something about the motion that I can't put my finger on.  I've been sensing this for almost a year now with various footage from a range of different cameras, but haven't worked out what it is.  I might have to step things up and actively start chasing it.

Realistic assessment of iPhone 15 pro with Apple Log vs pro Camera in good lighting conditions. Good review and tips IMHO.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SiqKfm-8kA

Everybody is trying to push some LUTs but you don't need them There is an official Apple Log to REC 709 transform LUT and CST in latest Davinci Resolve that supports Apple Log and works very well

This seems like a very useful video..  obviously shot in the real world, in 4K60 Apple LOG with an ND and the BM Camera App which offers the manual controls.  

Some shots are very clean and with nice colours, others seem a little off, some shots are noisy even though there should be lots of light, etc..

Lots of shots look like a smartphone, unsurprisingly.

My take-away is that Apple LOG is great and the results look stunning, but it's very fragile and everything in the situation has to be favourable otherwise it starts looking bad quite quickly.

Addendum to the above.  I think the shots that suffer the most are the ones with the non-main cameras.  I know on my iPhone 12 Mini that the main camera has the noise performance of the GH5 in identical conditions with an F2.8 lens on it, but the wide camera on the iPhone has the same noise as the GH5 in the same conditions but at F8...  that's 3 stops worse performance.

28 minutes ago, kye said:

Some shots are very clean and with nice colours, others seem a little off, some shots are noisy even though there should be lots of light, etc..

Lots of shots look like a smartphone, unsurprisingly.

As every camera, requires a shooter and director or editor or producer in charge to throw what doesn't fit directly to the basket :- )

3 hours ago, gt3rs said:

Interesting video, camera budget 1200 usd, total budget 1’000’000 usd 😂😂

Like every production with a real budget ever.

Alexa Mini camera packages are around from $200 a day...  on any set whatsoever that's less significant than the catering budget, the fuel budget, etc and absolutely dwarfed by even the vehicle rental budget.

image.thumb.png.f226e439c94e439cc2f85ce8aa0d0e61.png

It's why there's precious little great-looking footage from all these mirrorless cameras - if you were going to go all the trouble of making a real film then why would you skimp on a camera package?  It makes no sense.

My sister and I shot a short film in the late 90s when she was in film school, it was self-funded for $2000.  We borrowed everything and our largest cost was catering (feed people well and they'll be happy).  It was a 5 minute final film, we had 20 people on set, and my estimate was that in total it had thousands of person-hours put into it, including pre and post.  Even if everyone gets paid minimum wage, the camera rental cost is inconsequential.

8 hours ago, Emanuel said:

As every camera, requires a shooter and director or editor or producer in charge to throw what doesn't fit directly to the basket :- )

Not so good for filming in uncontrolled lighting then.

Unfortunately, that's basically ALL that the iPhone gets used for!

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

Love it Andrew and agree ! That said, I’m not convinced an Apple Camera would canabili its phone. People who want interchangeable lenses will get both. And those who want the lowlight performance won’t use an iPhone as their a cam. But I think Apple could shakeup the mirrorless industry overnight with a dedicated body.