What SD cards do you use?

newfoundmass

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, newfoundmass said:

For the first time ever today I had a memory card failure. One of my SanDisk Extreme PRO UHS-II cards that is less than a year old stopped working during a shoot. It'd only record for a couple seconds before stopping, almost as if it couldn't write fast enough. 

What SD cards do you use? 

I use a range of Sandisk cards, including some special models that work with the BMPCC OG and M2K, but I also have a Samsung EVO micro SD that seems to work well and was a good price.

I don't really shoot long takes at horrific bitrates though, and my cameras all have competent thermal management, so I'm not really stressing the reliability of these.

Currently Prograde 256’s and XCii 128’s (plus Kingston and Angelbird CF Express but can’t use those currently as none of my cameras use them).

Only ever had one card issue and that was about 12 years ago when a colleague borrowed one for a shoot and it came back and stopped working. Coincidence…??

I have a protocol which is:

1. I only use cameras that write to 2 slots and write to both of them.

2. Download to portable SSD’s, one for photo and one for video and then

3. copy both to either an external HD if at home or armored portable SSD if on the road.

4. As soon as any work is finished, a copy of that goes on-line and also goes on the HD.

5. Only then will I delete the material of the SSD’s.

1 hour ago, Marcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

dunno if the current huge problem with their external SSD

It is a concern as I have one of the 2TB drives in question with a model number on ‘The List’.

It’s my principal video download and working drive and has been all year. Not a problem to date and hopefully it will continue that way.

But as above, as soon as I have downloaded cards after a job, I do back up both working SSD’s to another drive and have a spare back up portable drive for emergency purposes.

2 hours ago, Marcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

Older (the newer was bought more than one year ago) Sandisk Pros, zero problems with them - dunno if the current huge problem with their external SSD could reflect in their newer cards.

Waiting for 2 Sabrent V60 256gb UHS-IIs to arrive.

That's what is making me wonder if it's time to switch. Never, ever had a problem with them but with the issues with their SSDs and now this card crapping in under a year, I'm a little weary. Well, weary enough to be looking at ProGrade and Angelbird cards anyway, as I've heard good things about both.

2 hours ago, Carz said:

There are a lot of fake SanDisk cards for sale, especially on amazon, so be careful on what you are relying on. There are some youtube videos showing how to spot fakes.

Yeah, I don't tend to buy from Amazon for that reason. Got these from B&H, so I assume they got them from SanDisk directly.

I didn't lose any work, thankfully, because I record on both cards, but still a bit concerning!

11 minutes ago, kye said:

They're the ones that I always hear the pros talking about, but they also seem to have "pro" prices!

In the eu, at least when I bought mine, they were quite reasonable compared with some others.

Might be different in the Land of Oz?

14 hours ago, MrSMW said:

In the eu, at least when I bought mine, they were quite reasonable compared with some others.

Might be different in the Land of Oz?

I thought it was everywhere - one thing we're quite good at down here is shopping online!  I think their prices must have come down over time.

10 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

They were only a few dollars more than the ProGrade here in the US. My friend Tom highly recommended them, so I figured I'd take a chance! Fingers crossed! 

I'd imagine they'll be very good 🙂 

Fingers crossed, but make sure to test them thoroughly when you get them so that if they fail then you can return them quickly enough to not have any issues.  

5 hours ago, kye said:

I thought it was everywhere - one thing we're quite good at down here is shopping online!  I think their prices must have come down over time.

Might have been a special offer on them at the time or something but I remember them being slightly cheaper than the opposition. And I liked their branding 😉