DJI Pocket 3?

sanveer

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
16 hours ago, androidlad said:

9e62afcdgy1hitxw0j5m4j21z4140gst.thumb.jpg.5b2edb13048e301b3ad14f00afdda72e.jpg

Improved in Every Way, from a much larger sensor, twice as fast readout, twice as large lcd, log recording, semi articulating screen etc. Hope they keep the price the same or similar. This could do pretty well. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Emanuel said:

Arrived:

WOW

Who will resist to not have it for half grand? ; )

The top bargain ever, so far, IMO... This is a dream but for real from now on. And not necessarily for vlogging capture device for sure. Street videography/photography shooters will just say thanks ;- )

I agree. My only conern is the audio - no manual control of audio levels. Almost all the other 1" sensor cameras have audio manual control. The other is no aperture/shutter contol that I see. Bright light needs external ND filters (which are available), very awkward to even attain 180 shutter. The 1"  Canon V10 has full manual control of audio and video settings and builtin ND.

9 hours ago, ntblowz said:

It is fixed aperture so no aperture control

In 2017 DJI had a 1 inch sensor with aperture control (2.8 to 11) on the Phantom 4 Pro that was really good, I'm not sure why they did not take that one and evolve it... it would have been quite practical for a DJI Osmo Pkt.

5 hours ago, gt3rs said:

In 2017 DJI had a 1 inch sensor with aperture control (2.8 to 11) on the Phantom 4 Pro that was really good, I'm not sure why they did not take that one and evolve it... it would have been quite practical for a DJI Osmo Pkt.

One difference I can see is that on a drone you can't just put on a stronger ND, but you likely could adjust the aperture remotely.  

Of course, I agree with you that an aperture would have been a handy addition.  I'd imagine including the ability to have shutter speeds that are crazy short is a cheaper alternative and achieves the same exposure.

1 hour ago, kye said:

Of course, I agree with you that an aperture would have been a handy addition.  I'd imagine including the ability to have shutter speeds that are crazy short is a cheaper alternative and achieves the same exposure.

Motion is not the same though.

1 hour ago, sanveer said:

Wouldn't anyone notice scenes with varying f-stops? Wouldn't the varying depth of field make continuity or sequence shots seem strange? Or its not really noticeable. 

On a normal camera you can fix the aperture at an fstop you want. Having an iris means you can control the depth of field. And in bright sun you could avoid the highest shutter speeds.

With a permanently fixed fstop of f2.0 or f1.8 you not not only need high shutter speeds you need to worry about focus, with a 1" sensor, because depth of field will be relatively narrow.

The joy of shooting with the GoPro is that with the small sensor and very wide angle lens you never have to worry about focus - everything is in focus from about 11 inches onward.

7 hours ago, Emanuel said:

Motion is not the same though.

Being able to stop down a few stops won't help you much during the day, you'd need to use an ND filter anyway.  Of course, in combination with an ND, using the aperture to fine tune the exposure would be useful, but it's not going to eliminate the need for an ND.

3 hours ago, sanveer said:

Wouldn't anyone notice scenes with varying f-stops? Wouldn't the varying depth of field make continuity or sequence shots seem strange? Or its not really noticeable. 

It wouldn't be noticeable - the 1 inch sensor giving a 20mm FOV means it has a 7.4mm F2.8 lens - not exactly a shallow DoF monster!

This lens has infinite focus unless focused very close:

• When focused at 5.8ft, the focal plane is from 2.9ft to infinity
  • When focused at 5.0ft, the focal plane is from 2.7ft to 36.1ft
  • When focused at 3ft, the focal plane is from 2ft to 6.2ft

I very much doubt that anyone shooting with this camera and focusing closer than 5ft would see the background slightly out of focus and want to stop down.  I mean, maybe someone somewhere would do that, but it's hardly going to occur frequently enough for DJI to add an aperture mechanism to an entire product.

21 hours ago, kye said:

Being able to stop down a few stops won't help you much during the day, you'd need to use an ND filter anyway.  Of course, in combination with an ND, using the aperture to fine tune the exposure would be useful, but it's not going to eliminate the need for an ND.

It wouldn't be noticeable - the 1 inch sensor giving a 20mm FOV means it has a 7.4mm F2.8 lens - not exactly a shallow DoF monster!

This lens has infinite focus unless focused very close:

• When focused at 5.8ft, the focal plane is from 2.9ft to infinity
  • When focused at 5.0ft, the focal plane is from 2.7ft to 36.1ft
  • When focused at 3ft, the focal plane is from 2ft to 6.2ft

I very much doubt that anyone shooting with this camera and focusing closer than 5ft would see the background slightly out of focus and want to stop down.  I mean, maybe someone somewhere would do that, but it's hardly going to occur frequently enough for DJI to add an aperture mechanism to an entire product.

The hyperfocal distance calculations are useful. But can you lock focus at say 6 feet? When moving with the camera straight along a path in AF, what does the camera focus on? 

5 hours ago, markr041 said:

The hyperfocal distance calculations are useful. But can you lock focus at say 6 feet? When moving with the camera straight along a path in AF, what does the camera focus on? 

If it's got a variable focus lens then it will need to focus just like any other camera.  I was just making the point that a 7.4mm F2.8 lens doesn't have a narrow DoF - it's got barely shallower DoF than a smartphone.

OK, here you go: using the D-Log M 10bit setting and the official DJI D-Log M LUT (I hate LUTs, but what can you do):

Harsh highlights and very processed-sounding audio (set to stereo, front). Not stressed in lower light as expected. Colors are good, but somehow not so appealing. I nixed a bunch of outdoors shots because they were all overexposed (based on using auto exposure), not a problem with current GoPro's (used to be).

Noise reduction was turned off in the camera, sharpness set to -1, not -2, from 0.

GoPro's look to me to have better handling of highlights, more appealing color, and much better audio. Pocket 3 does the job in low light, where the GoPro essentially cannot operate.

I do not think anyone would shoot a mediocre attempted blockbuster film with the Pocket 3 (as was done with the fx3), and it's not a crash cam.

But if one wants to move with the camera in dim places and loves portability this is the only alternative.

It does, btw, charge really fast and it is a nice screen. But that audio...

I will try again outdoors in bright light.

Congrats for your purchase, I hope mine to arrive in the early days of November... ; )

Thanks for your input : )

In any case, I don't see why B-roll shots couldn't be part of a big screen feature film like those I produce each year already screened in Berlin or Sundance, to only let some other ones outside of such couple of these mentioned now ;- )

This is ready for prime time just 'cause fills the cup, that it!

1 hour ago, markr041 said:

OK, here you go: using the D-Log M 10bit setting and the official DJI D-Log M LUT (I hate LUTs, but what can you do)

I read somewhere that D-Log M is a terrible version of a regular profile, masquerading as a log profile (D-Log).

DJI should just release a firmware update for proper D-Log for the Pocket 3. The fake log profile probably has lighlights clipping and noticeable reduction in dynamic range.