Samyang join L mount alliance

ntblowz

• ntblowz changed the title to Samyang join L mount alliance
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I am not going to complain if they announce and release it any time soon as it’s my opinion this is where L Mount is now beginning to lag a little behind especially Sony; lens options.

I almost moved to Sony last year just for the Tamron version of this lens because although it’s a bit bigger than I’d ideally like, it replaces 2 camera bodies with 1. And that is a big deal and worth it to me.

Clone the Tamron 20-40 while they are at it. Please.

6 hours ago, Marcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

Good news - but saw some reviews of their Af lenses, and specially the zooms do not look stellar.

Hopefully that will get better over time.  Overall I view it as a good thing - if you're willing to go to fully-manual lenses then the budget Chinese manufacturers have drastically reduced the price of lenses over even the last 5 years, and they're now doing the same to anamorphics.  

I think we'll continue to see more third parties join up now that the S5 II has been a success, though Tamron likely won't be one of them given Sony's ownership stake in them. That's a shame because Tamron is among the most intriguing lens companies out there for me, given their cost to quality ratio. 

6 hours ago, Marcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

Good news - but saw some reviews of their Af lenses, and specially the zooms do not look stellar.

I think it will get better with time. I wonder if they'll be able to improve the AF on L-mount bodies as an official member of the alliance, as in theory they might be able to get more cooperation from the other companies in the alliance vs. Sony, who just let's them reverse engineer their mount but doesn't seem to cooperate with them. 

Either way, it's a good sign that they're making lenses for the mount. 

2 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

Tamron likely won't be one of them given Sony's ownership stake

And Sigma’s main rival.

I can’t see it either sadly because as I have stated various times, in various threads, Tamron currently make the lenses that best suit my needs.

It’s unlikely Samyang will bang out their entire lens range for L Mount in one go, if at all, but drip feed a few into the system over time.

But please please please let the first be that 35-150 as my current system is one lens short of where I need it to be and though there are options, none of them are quite what I need.

What I need, is a lighter and more compact version of my 70-200 f4.

If it could be smaller, lighter and faster like Tamron’s 70-180 f2.8, that would be a step in the right direction, but as it cannot be adapted, I’d need to change system.

Then ideally, it would be wider, even though it would mean sacrificing the longer end. Step forward Tamron and Samyang. OK, adds the weight and size back in, plus a little more, but there is only so much physics they can deny at this point in time.

But then Sigma may beat them to the punch with ‘something’ and I believe they wish to complete their compact trinity of f2.8; 16-28 and 28-70 with a 70-180.

Given the choice, I’d go with a compact 70-180 because I could use that without a battery grip.

For stills, the best combo I currently have is the S1H with battery grip plus 70-200 which is perfect outdoors 90% of the time, but unusable indoors. And weighs a freaking ton. Well 2.5 or so kg which is the metric equivalent of an imperial or US ton.

On 7/14/2023 at 11:31 PM, kye said:

Hopefully that will get better over time.  Overall I view it as a good thing - if you're willing to go to fully-manual lenses then the budget Chinese manufacturers have drastically reduced the price of lenses over even the last 5 years, and they're now doing the same to anamorphics.  

Yep, it is good. And they have all the conditions to improve - just look the latest Viltrox lenses, mile sbetter than the 1st ones (I have the 13mm f/1.4 and the 75mm f/1.2 and both are amazing, the 75mm is mind blowing)

OK, reading a lot of negative reports about the Samyang 35-150.

Slightly bigger and heavier than the Tamron and suffers from severe lens creep.

Erm, not good. OK, if cost-saving is your thing and why would it not be, but for me it does not compare with the Tamron.

But then there has been no mention of it becoming available anyway...

Well I’d still be interested if they make it in L Mount and maybe make the few tweaks it could do with, but in The meantime, Leica 24-90mm f2.8/4 inbound…

The Samyang is slightly heavier, longer obviously but not as wide (to be honest, it’s a better focal range for me than the Leica) and undoubtedly cheaper, even against a 60% off, excellent used Leica, but the Leica counters with being actually available.

The 24-105 or in Nikon’s case, 24-120 are perhaps more natural rivals to the 35-150, especially the Nikon (but I have seen how far that thing extends and don’t like it) with the 24-105 and 24-90, being more like rivals for the traditional 24-70.

And as I already have a 70-200 in the bag, the 24-90 makes the most sense to me right now, based on what actually exists.

When/if the thing comes, and assuming I am still with L Mount, most likely I would trade in the 24-90 plus 70-200 because simply 40-120 is a perfect focal range I could live with and if a single lens could do that and a bit more, then why not?

My only concern would be image quality…

Cameras for me these days are less interesting than lenses as in they already meet my existing requirements (S5ii/S1H) or future requirements (R3/Z9/Z8, almost certainly next gen S1 line) but it’s lenses I always struggle with.

As a hybrid shooter, I have a dual requirement and lenses that might get a pass for video (such as slightly soft but that’s OK because it’s ‘cinematic’ don’t cut it for me from a photography aspect) and especially for the second half of my season this year, I am aiming for the best image quality I can get as a priority.

I am pretty sure the Leica 24-90 will help deliver that, but the Samyang potentially in the future, remains to be seen.

Has to exist first of course!