Lenses with character

Oliver Daniel

its all basic cinematography stuff I learnt while shooting film all those years ago - I worked with some great DP's like Tony Coldwell who I learnt alot from when I first started Directing - all those lens focal length choises carry forward onto digital cameras - its all still very releveant in todays world for keeping that filmic look we all are used to from when we used to shoot film stock .

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Check out the Pretzval. Not the most practical lens for everyday shooting. Used it on a commercial for interviews and the client went nuts over it. Truly a different look. 

http://shop.lomography.com/us/lenses?gclid=CNPSkNqJ-MECFW8A7AodhCYAMQ

Another favorite of mine are Super Baltars. But they've become quite pricey.

The thumbnail is grab of an interview we shot on the Pretzval 

post-34133-0-86300400-1415899827_thumb.j

I found an Helios 44M-4 58mm f2 for M42 for 50€: is it good?  :)

Ciao,there are even cheaper ones if you search on ebay, but my advice is to have a look on the  Mercatino dell'usato website  and search for lenses or cameras, you can find some really good bargains there.

You might be lucky and get a good deal, I once found a Pentax Spotmatic with an Asahi super takumar 50mm  F1.4 in good condition for 45 euros.

This lens is worth 200 euro.

Last time I was on the mercatino dell'usato website there were loads of helios. ;)

Buona fortuna!!!

I love lenses with character.

I prefer to use vintage lenses as they come with some character, whether that be weird bokeh, lens flares, distortion or close-focusing wide lenses - a lot of this stuff you don't get on modern electronic lenses in exchange for AF and IS. 

I love lenses that flare like crazy such as the Helios 44-2, yellow coated Super Takumars (like the 55mm) and the strange Mir 1B 37mm - all very creamy, odd and unique looking. 

I absolutely love wide lenses that have a very close focusing distance, so you can get this rather intense, beautiful close-up with a massive, shallow background. The SLR Magic 12mm is a favourite and I believe (although not used) Contax Zeiss 28mm 2.8 "Hollywood" achieve this. 

Modern lenses such as the Samyang/Rokinon Cine DS line  are fantastic for having gears, de-clicked apertures and almost the same filter thread size across the range (very useful stuff I want) - but having never used them, are they worth the punt for a guy who much prefers some personality in the glass? 

What lenses do you use that have some kind of "character"? Speak up!!

I own the Rokinon line from 24,35,50 to 85. The 24 is the weakest of the bunch. Don't shoot below 2.8 if you want it sharp. 35 is a leap better. The 50 is a good all around lens. It's minimal focus is a bit long for a 50mm. But it's plenty sharp over a 2.0. The 85 is my favorite of the bunch. Haven't done enough flare work to judge that aspect. The gearing and the de-click are nice. The focus  throw on all lenses are somewhat short (150 degrees or so) which is great if you pull your own focus but tight for a follow focus. I use them with my A7s package.

On the long end I have Nikon 105 macro 2.8, 135 2.0 and 180 2.8 all AIS. These lenses are in a class of their own. I use them constantly especially for interviews. I also use the 180 a lot for picking discreet long lens shots (as a 70-200 attracts too much attention sometimes). I'd put them against any modern lens. The color rendition, sharpness and build quality are top notch. I'll keep this set long after I sell the Rokinons.

Be careful of Andy Lee! He makes you spend spend spend  ;)

The only thing that attracts me to the Rokinon/Samyang DS lenses are how the gears are perfectly matched, declicked aperture, same filter thread size across the range (besides the 85mm)... but they seem pretty light on the "character" aspect. 

I have a huge interest in Contax Zeiss lenses like the Hollywood - where you can get really close to the subject and have a wide view. I'm just after lenses that can bring personality to the image - lenses like the Panasonic 12-35mm is the complete opposite (for example)

The "Bourne" Nikon lens sounds interesting.... the old manual primes are very popular with filmmakers. Someone I know puts a prime set of old manuals with their Phantom Flex rental package!

Andy... will be getting that Tokina, that's for sure. What's your favourite Helios?  :wub:

yes I might make you spend ..but Im getting you to spend on the right stuff , instead of just buying the latest flyby wire lens with no apperture ! haha! and all my lens recomendations are cheap and very usable ....not insanely expensive brand new and apperture less!!

my fave Helios is the 1979 version I have 3 of them

I use one on a dumb adapter = 58mm

one on a speedbooster - so its wider  =40mm

and one on a speedbooster with a Century Optics x0.65 wide angle adapter on the front =  27mm

3 very usable focal lengths all with the same glass and 'Helios' look

you could shoot 90% of a movie on those 3 focal lengths!!

edit - this does make a very very good cheap lens 'set' with a consistant glass 'look' throught the focal lengths used - which is the trick really - glass parity is essential when you edit in my book - thats why when they shoot big budget movies they use a 'set' of lenses all by the same maker and same series usually so they have a uniform 'look' to the film. ie a set of all Cooke S4's or all Arri Ziess Master Primes or all Leica Summilux etc etc

They tend not to mix up sets too much as it messes with the 'look'

Start thinking in terms of 'sets' of lens that look good together across a range of focal lengths.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

An idea Andy, you are an incredible source of lens experience and information especially for filmmaking, so first of all thank you! I learn a lot just reading your posts here, so how about writing a book containing all the experience you have about lenses, their use on features and budget lens/adapters recommendations, and a chapter for anamorphic options, etc. I would pay good money to have your experience in a book. Writing can be a very successful business.

An idea Andy, you are an incredible source of lens experience and information especially for filmmaking, so first of all thank you! I learn a lot just reading your posts here, so how about writing a book containing all the experience you have about lenses, their use on features and budget lens/adapters recommendations, and a chapter for anamorphic options, etc. I would pay good money to have your experience in a book. Writing can be a very successful business.

sounds like a good idea!

we are all in the middle of a massive Digital Film making revoltion right now

- film is dying - it's almost gone for good (Christoper Nolan will have to start hording film stock soon!!)

- the Alexa has now made such in an inroad in mainstream Hollywood films this past 3 years that its accepted as the main camera now.

The thing that has not changed is glass! and getting the right focal lengths for the right shot in your film is still exactly the same for Digital or Film.

What has changed is that Indie film making on Canon and Panasonic cameras it is now possible to make a finished product that is almost 95% as good as the big boys in Hollywood - the difference is not that great if you know what you are doing and if you learn to exploit the 'pros' of what ever camera you are using and mask the 'cons '.

The right lenses help you get the 'movie look' and it is all very acheivable very cheaply if you look around for lenses that have a certain 'look' similar to expensive movie lenses.

Ciao,there are even cheaper ones if you search on ebay, but my advice is to have a look on the  Mercatino dell'usato website  and search for lenses or cameras, you can find some really good bargains there.

You might be lucky and get a good deal, I once found a Pentax Spotmatic with an Asahi super takumar 50mm  F1.4 in good condition for 45 euros.

This lens is worth 200 euro.

Last time I was on the mercatino dell'usato website there were loads of helios. ;)

Buona fortuna!!!

Grazie mille! ;)

Andy, I tried to search the RJ speedbooster (FD to MFT) on Amazon and Ebay, but I cannot find it  :(
Could you help me? Now I'm too curious about having the Super 35 style on my Lumix.... ;)

I got mine through Vitaliy: http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/9086/rj-lens-turbo-m43-adapters/p1?Sort=newest

Me too! Your tips are simply AMAZING!

Me three. That's a great idea. Would make for a good and valuable read I'm sure. I already have quite a bit of vintage/legacy glass and now got the RMC coming my way as well. What Andy said about the 28-70mm f/2.8 putting on a speedbooster basically covering three basic f/2 hollywood-look primes really got me intrigued too...

I have some solid gears from Shoot35 - any recommendation on the metal hoods? 

So what's so good about this Nikon 'Bourne' lens? What makes it special in your eyes? 

Yashica ML remind me of the Zeiss but much cheaper - I have loads of Canon FD primes, guess the Yashica has more of a pop?

Sorry for all the questions - I love vintage glass.