Lenses

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Yup. I guess ART must stand for Amazingly Respectable Treasures or something. Because they really are a work of art. Now, I only have the renowned 18-35mm f/1.8 myself, which basically is multiple primes into a zoom lens. But the same I've seen from the primes in their line-up, I believe there's only one that's a little behind the others. Even their M43 DN ones are actually tremendous value and deliver great optical performance. I'd say the ARTs are up from the Samyang/Rokinon/Walimex line-up and start out pretty much razor sharp from the get-go. Great rendering. You'll have a hard time faulting these lenses. Stuff like this would cost a fortune would it have been branded Canon L, Zeiss or Nikon ED. Would be nice if they'd bring out a VDSLR series.

Anyone familiar withthe sigma art line of lenses ?

Their ART series has received glowing reviews from just about every respectable photographer and lab on the face of the earth. Most recently, their 20mm f/1.4 has earned accolades from reviewers, who call it the best 20mm yet. I own both the 18-35mm f/1.8 and the 50mm f/1.4. I would strongly caution against the 50mm for video because its focus throw is only 90 degrees, making pulling focus extremely difficult. The lens is heavy too, and unless you are Goliath, you'll need some sort of rig to get steady images if you don't have built-in stabilization. From my own experience with the lenses, they both have extraordinary color and resolution and are built like tanks, as far as lenses incorporating plastic is concerned. They also have a nice finish. In fact, they make the Panasonic lenses in my kit (the 12-35 f/2.8 and 35-100 f/2.8) feel like Hasbro toys (not knocking Hasbro, though!). As far as price/quality, they can't be beat: I purchased both Sigmas for under $800 USD apiece.

Seriously Araucaria, I mean like bro seriously?

If you are not taking your pills because they are too big to swallow you can crush them in two pieces and swallow seperatly. If they come in capsules you will have to ask your psychiatrist to give you a reciept for smaller pills. Just ask, don't make a fool out of yourself and start enjoing life with other people.

lol, I was wondering the same thing. Where the hell did that came from, there's no context or anything. :) Just one big 'WHUT?!1!'.

</>

@discussion about different choice of lenses... what do they say again? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, right?

Whether you go for vintage stuff, maybe dating back to the USSR times, prefer Zeiss optics, Canon FD, Nikon Ai-s or modern Sigma ART glass, it all depends on what you like and what look your shoot would really benefit from. There's not one true go-to set of lenses that does it all. Just ones that are generic enough to cover most situations; but they still can't go where some others can. Depends on you which corners you're willing/you can to cover. I've actually got 'em all quite down, but the abundance of choice itself can provide quite the challenge as well.

I've been wondering...are the nikkor ais lenses better than the canon fd L series ? Thinking of investing in old nikon primes

They're just different.

Pick up a 50mm and see what you think.

I have a really nice AIS set, and have just expanded my FD set last week when I picked up the 85 1.8, 200 2.8, and 35-105 3.5

My FD's aren't as fast as my Nikkor equivalents, but give me some time this week and I can go grab some comparison footage with each

I generally appreciate you, your humor (sometimes) and your videos are great fun as well, but out of the blue you post some video without any context or apparent relation to anything. What is someone supposed to do with that?

Same in the other thread with squig. You just barge in and say something to us appearing to be something quite random, again without any provided context or anything. Maybe you expect everyone to be in on your train of thought, but we aren't. I guess we just don't get you sometimes... and have you ever considered that might actually be something going wrong on your end instead of ours? I'm pretty sure nobody here has it out for you, but your mind seems all over the place and it seems like you could work on your communication skills to give us a glimp into your realm.

Anyways. This is getting too far off topic for this topic. Do I have something lens related I want to share... hum...

Nah, not really. But maybe someone knows something more about that fullframe covering SLR Magic Cine 50mm f/1.1 that will be going for $349?

- Well whaddayaknow. There's a fresh article on it right here:

https://***URL not allowed***/time-stood-still-an-extreme-low-light-video-sony-a7sii-slr-magic-50mm-f1-1/ ;)

Thanks for the feedback ! Right now its between the zeiss milvus line and sigma art. i need a lens that can resolve up to 6k to use on my samsung nx1

what exactly will you be shooting? which focal length(s) are you considering? do you already own an adapter? the Milvus have clickless aperture, full manual focusing, weather sealing and a much longer focus throw than the Sigma lenses. both lenses have enough resolution.

If you're looking at Milvus and Sigma Art, definitely add Contax Zeiss to the list. There's a bunch of guys over on REDUser getting great results with them on the Epic Dragon at 6K. 

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?92044-Contax-Zeiss-Survival-Guide

Or if you prefer a warmer, prettier look, Leica Rs and Minolta MDs should be on your radar. 

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?92246-Minolta-Rokkor-Survival-Guide 

I've been wondering...are the nikkor ais lenses better than the canon fd L series ? Thinking of investing in old nikon primes

It depends more which Nikkor/FD lenses you're comparing than any hard and fast rule between the brands.

Personally, I find Nikons to have more contrast and hate that their focus rings turn the wrong way. Canon FDs tend to have a little more CA, but nicer colors and a very organic look to the highlights. YMMV.

Worthwhile reading: 

http://www.personal-view.com/faqs/camera-usage/nikon-lenses-faq
http://www.personal-view.com/faqs/camera-usage/canon-fd-lenses-faq 

what exactly will you be shooting? which focal length(s) are you considering? do you already own an adapter? the Milvus have clickless aperture, full manual focusing, weather sealing and a much longer focus throw than the Sigma lenses. both lenses have enough resolution.

I just need a sharp modern lens set optimize for high resolution sensors. I have a set of canon fd l primes that can get very sharp but they werent designed for digital (especially high  pixel density) and in some situations its very obvious. I shoot everything from landscapes to portraiture its the contrast and resolution im after now 

If you're looking at Milvus and Sigma Art, definitely add Contax Zeiss to the list. There's a bunch of guys over on REDUser getting great results with them on the Epic Dragon at 6K. 

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?92044-Contax-Zeiss-Survival-Guide

Or if you prefer a warmer, prettier look, Leica Rs and Minolta MDs should be on your radar. 

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?92246-Minolta-Rokkor-Survival-Guide 

It depends more which Nikkor/FD lenses you're comparing than any hard and fast rule between the brands.

Personally, I find Nikons to have more contrast and hate that their focus rings turn the wrong way. Canon FDs tend to have a little more CA, but nicer colors and a very organic look to the highlights. YMMV.

Worthwhile reading: 

http://www.personal-view.com/faqs/camera-usage/nikon-lenses-faq
http://www.personal-view.com/faqs/camera-usage/canon-fd-lenses-faq 

i checked out the links, good find dude ! Im going to look into the minolta md as leica is way out of budget...at least considering i'll only find em used and they're vintage. I've also been looking into zeiss zf line. I keep hearing about the famed zeiss microcontrast of their lenses. Im seeing that with the samsung nx1 contrasty lenses are a better fit. You can squeeze tons of detail into the 4k image without compression artifacts. The lower contrast and sharpness of older lenses can really show up in the ugliest of ways on this particular camera

Anyone having issues achieving infinity focus on samsung nx mount cameras ? Been noticing a lot of softness in my shots on my canon fd lenses with the samsung. Its like it focuses to a maximum of 10 ft especially wide open. I am using a novoflex so idk if its my adapter or the lens. I dont ever recall having this problem on my a7s with fd lenses

Anyone having issues achieving infinity focus on samsung nx mount cameras ? Been noticing a lot of softness in my shots on my canon fd lenses with the samsung. Its like it focuses to a maximum of 10 ft especially wide open. I am using a novoflex so idk if its my adapter or the lens. I dont ever recall having this problem on my a7s with fd lenses

Yes! I asked about this a couple months ago, and didn't get a reply. The peaking shows it's in focus but when I get it into the computer, it just looks a little softer than close ups. 

Hmmm. 

Yes! I asked about this a couple months ago, and didn't get a reply. The peaking shows it's in focus but when I get it into the computer, it just looks a little softer than close ups. 

Hmmm. 

omg I am using a novoflex adapter and still seeing the softness, the lens cant reach infinity ! Unfortunately this is really pushing me towards an a7sii as I am not trying to sell my fd lens set and experiment with anything else and risk getting the same softness

omg I am using a novoflex adapter and still seeing the softness, the lens cant reach infinity ! Unfortunately this is really pushing me towards an a7sii as I am not trying to sell my fd lens set and experiment with anything else and risk getting the same softness

I am not a tech head, but I think it might be the codec or something. There is no reason why these lenses... Your FDs or my MDs wouldn't have enough resolution for 4K video. With the G7, I am having no issues with old c-mount TV lenses.