GH4 4K 4:2:2 recording

Sébastien Bourdain

Hello,

First of all, sorry if I didn't post in the right place..

Does anybody knows if the external 4K 4:2:2 recording with the forthcoming Atomos Shogun will require the YAGH or not? Already having sound recorders so I'll rather pass on the YAGH if 4:2:2 is available thanks to this new magical device that seems to be the Shogun!

Thanks for your answers

I don't have a test I can show but I can weigh in. I ran a test on all modes and didn't notice that much of a difference between the prores and the in camera hours, both at 200mbps All I and 100mbps IPB, as well as at 24 and 60 fps.

What I did notice is that you can tell the camera to down covert the 4k signal down to 1080p. This does crop the image slightly just like the 4k setting, but it seems to use an entirely different imaging pipeline. Downscaling in camera is noticeably sharper than the normal 1080p setting.

I also do notice some noise in the shadows at iso 200 and 400 using cine d. Still haven't figured out the best settings yet.

I did some 10bit recording on my Ninja2 from the GH4 - Too be honest I haven't got the eye to tell the difference. There was no 'night / day' wow difference.

The only thing I can say, is that the HDMI output of the GH4 now matches the internal recording much closer than the GH3.

I over laid two recordings in FCPX (one Ninja, one GH4) and you can't tell the difference, in colour, sharpness or contrast.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Thecryptolounge
      Rarely used this bad boy, mainly bought it for my wedding a couple years back. Other than that it’s in great condition. Will sell it with the battery and the 32GB SD.
      Askig: $700

• By Bradley Bjornstad
      Hello all. I am selling my Atomos Ninja Flame set. Very nice set. Has only 15-20 hours of use. Extremely clean, and well maintained. I treat all of my gear with care and respect. This is a beautiful set! Almost like-new! $795.00 - plus shipping (insured at full $795). PayPal only.

It's hard to part with the recorder, because it is a great tool, and an amazing monitor - but all my main cameras have 4K built-in now, and I just never get to use it. I want it to go to a good home, where it will get a lot of use.
      Includes: Atomos Ninja Flame monitor/recorder, Hard case, NEW sun hood, original set of 5 master caddies, original charger, (2) original Atomos batteries, docking station, HDMI cable, original manual, NEW microfiber cleaning cloth, coiled D-tap to DC cable (never used), 2 power cords (one hasn't left packaging), Control Cable (2.5mm Female to 2x 2.5mm Male). Check out the pictures and see how well maintained and what a deal this is!

Thank you for looking and best wishes!

• By funkyou86
      Hi, my cage for GH4/3 is for sale. Never used. I thought I can use it with GH5, but it does not fit. 
      PRICE: 37 euros + shipping. Shipping from Slovakia to EU.

• By kineticdg
      Mint condition Panasonic GH4

The GH4 is like new, only 1332 exposures and maybe 50 hours of video- almost all of it indoors. It comes with two factory batteries, the original charger and shoulder strap.

My ebay profile is kineticdg1, I have 100% positive feedback. 

• By LucasM
      I never shot with any format other than internal gh4 4k and need to shoot client footage who is requesting 4k Log ProRes LT footage to be used by news. I currently own a GH4 and lenses. Wanted to know what I needed to deliver this type of footage. Should I get an external recorder or buy a GH5s? Can gh5s shoot this internally? Thanks