Nikon Z9 internal RAW codec investigation - what are the details?

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

Is N-RAW = intoPIX TICO RAW?

What settings are in-camera?

What is available at launch in terms of ProRes RAW / bitrates / ProRes 422 flavours?

I have a look into it here but more info welcome in this thread from quality sources.

https://www.eoshd.com/raw-video/what-are-the-details-of-nikons-new-cinema-8k-4k-raw-codec-on-the-z9/

19 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

What is available at launch in terms of ProRes RAW / bitrates / ProRes 422 flavours?

It's my impression from the online reviews that only h264, h265 & ProRes 422 HQ will beĀ available at launch:

8K/30p capture and 4K-from-8K, with ProRes 422 HQ option

8K/60p, 12-bit 8K N-Raw and 4K ProRes RAW to be added with f/w

it'll definitely be interesting to see what kind of bitrates and compression rates will be available!

I would like to believe Nikon gave Atomos a giant middle finger by just putting ProRes RAW and ProRes HQ internal into the camera. If they continue this with a future Z6 camera I could see Nikon making inroads into the video space among professionals...maybe not as a A cam but as B cam and personal cameras.

It certainly has me interested like never before in the future of the Z mount and Nikon cameras in general. I'm glad to see it.

• 3 weeks later...