The downfall of the big guys just began - BlackMagic 2.5K Cinema Camera with 12bit RAW for $3000

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
[html]

[img]http://www.eoshd.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/blackmagiccinemacamera.jpg[/img]

Above: Bearing a resemblance to the Box Brownie, the BlackMagic Design Cinema Camera will be available July for $3000

For too long the big corporate giants from Japan have been neglecting a huge burgeoning demand for a true next generation filmic camera for the masses… Despite stumbling ass backwards into it in pole position.

Now a company with a fraction of the resources best know for their external recording boxes (like the Hyperdeck Shuttle) BlackMagic Design has dropped a bombshell. They have entered the digital cinema market with a $3000 cinema camera that records 2.5K RAW with 13.5 stops of dynamic range to an SSD, with Thunderbolt and HD-SDI. A true next generation camera.

[url="http://www.eoshd.com/content/7927/the-downfall-of-the-big-guys-just-began-blackmagic-2-5k-cinema-camera-with-12bit-raw-for-3000/"]Read full article[/url]

[/html]

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the interface on this camera. So simple, especially when compared to something like the Sony FS100.

I just WISH they would have made a Super 35mm version. If they did that, I would have gladly paid and extra $2 to $3K. For my style, super 16mm is just too cropped.

Well, maybe the next gen.

I LOVE that they are taking on the big guys.

Not bad at all for US$3,000.
It's not ergonomical at all - Christ, look at where they placed the record button.
No slow-mo frame rates. Hmm, guess I can live with that.
Battery life sucks on it so got to use an external battery of some sort.
You really do need to rig it up to do handheld at least... My Edelkrone would work nicely
Does it have XLR? I didn't read it on their specs list
Again, NOT BAD for 3 G's

@ed_lee83 I have the Edelkrone too, and this would work nicely.

Frankly I'm quite relieved to have a commendable option for under $5k. Been searchinghigh and low after the disappointment that is the 5D Mark III. And to think Canon could've had it all... until they got greedy.

Just exciting times. :)

The only thing that I wish it had was higher frame rates and the ability to accept any lens like the GH2.  Still this is going to be the iPod of cameras.  The thing Black Magic did was make a system that gives people what they need.  They have an ecosystem not just a camera in a vacuum!!!

There is probably not much margin in this camera. I think it is to get people hooked on DaVinci free for post and in the long run, when people do well enough financially, they will upgrade to the larger DaVinci system. In fact, you can only do 1080p in DaVinci free, I believe.

An exec for Adobe once stated that they were excited that Photoshop was the most pirated software in the world, because it got people hooked on their workflow. Then when they establish a business in need of legit software, they buy the full version. Like a crack dealer who gives you the first rock free :)

So this would result in about x2.3 crop factor with EOS glass? Maybe someone could answer this for me. Is there any technical reason why a micro4/3 lens to EOS mount would not work... Thus allowing the Voigtlander 25mm f/0.95 or Voigtlander 17.5mm f/0.95 to work on the Blackmagic Cinema Camera? Just wondering.

[quote]It is like building a car for a worldwide market and having it leave the factory with 3 wheels[/quote]

I'd say its like designing a new automobile having the wheel ONLY at the right side (aka wrong side) for UK/Australia/Thai/Cyprus...etc

[quote author=mxtp link=topic=596.msg4032#msg4032 date=1334604941]
So this would result in about x2.3 crop factor with EOS glass? Maybe someone could answer this for me. Is there any technical reason why a micro4/3 lens to EOS mount would not work... Thus allowing the Voigtlander 25mm f/0.95 or Voigtlander 17.5mm f/0.95 to work on the Blackmagic Cinema Camera? Just wondering.
[/quote]

Because the smallest EOS sensor is APS-C sized, m4/3 lenses would cause vignetting cause they don't cover the whole sensor (unless I'm mistaken). for this camera though, eventhough they use the EOS mount, the sensor is much smaller. I think it could work if a mount converter for it exists (the current ones only convert m4/3 mount for EOS lenses instead of vice versa.)

The Revolution will be when somebody comes out with a camera TESTED on CINEMA SCREEN, a camera made for cinema that can also be used for more simple things, not the opposite.  Just the fact that it has a crop sensor is an issue to me, I mean, we are far from super 35mm. We need a camera with plenty of options for lenses at their maximum capability, no workflow imposition (DAVINCI?!!??!?!?!?!?). It's a good step, but we need MORE.

THE REVOLUTION WILL NOT BE TELEVISED

[quote author=unconsenting link=topic=596.msg4031#msg4031 date=1334604709]
There is probably not much margin in this camera. I think it is to get people hooked on DaVinci free for post and in the long run, when people do well enough financially, they will upgrade to the larger DaVinci system. In fact, you can only do 1080p in DaVinci free, I believe.

An exec for Adobe once stated that they were excited that Photoshop was the most pirated software in the world, because it got people hooked on their workflow. Then when they establish a business in need of legit software, they buy the full version. Like a crack dealer who gives you the first rock free :)
[/quote]

EXACTLY!

All the times ive had to suffer being told how grateful we should be that manufacturers like Sony are giving us amazing things and all the times I've had to listen to crap.

Finally Black magic have bought out a sensible priced camera that does everything you need to make a damn film. Not that clever really when you think of how in the 60's you could buy a 16mm camera that could do similar and yes film costs and all the work blah blah but WE really should have moved on by 2012 and by golly WE JUST DID. Not that we should be grateful because as the human race were entitled to move on and not be kept locked out by manufacturers conspiring to make as much as they can.

All those rotten blogs out there no more than helping manufacturers to SELL their gear and who shut down those who voice the truth.

EOSHD thanks for being a decent sounding board.

This new camera will be perfect for many with super 16mm lenses and those above.

Today the world of film making CHANGED. Now maybe we might see those locked out like the working classes bring in some much needed ORIGINALITY and fashion to a world dominated by those looking after there own interests. Film is power too. The power to change perception and hearts and minds.

Bring it on!

The sensor size is smaller than 4/3rds cameras.  Why not 4/3rds lenses.  A lot more optics would be available than expensive EF glass.

Built in battery working for an hour and a half with a two hour recharge?  Not!  Come on guys. 

SDI and not HDMI for more expensive monitoring.  Needs a viewfinder.

@markm  It's true, it's a ray of hope! But still, we don't know the results (the camera is a prototype, they still don't sell it).
I am sure, I am damn sure we can have something better, a 35mm sensor, a camera working with all lenses, without imposing workflows.

I repeat : THIS IS GREAT!!!! Don't misunderstand me, I'm excited too! But I still think soon somebody will come out with something CHEAPER and better than this

[quote author=unconsenting link=topic=596.msg4031#msg4031 date=1334604709]
I think it is to get people hooked on DaVinci free for post and in the long run, when people do well enough financially, they will upgrade to the larger DaVinci system. In fact, you can only do 1080p in DaVinci free, I believe.
[/quote]
I believe it comes with a license for the full DaVinci Resolve, plus Media Express (for video capture from the camera’s Thunderbolt port) and Blackmagic UltraScope (waveform monitoring).