Jump to content

Panasonic S5 User Experience


herein2020
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 3/7/2022 at 4:58 PM, Mark Romero 2 said:

But in general, the continuous autofocus of sigma lenses is pretty bad (for video, at least).

My experience has been very good with two Sigma lenses and AFC (Area+ Human/Animal detect on) for video recording.   Both 4K 60P 10-bit 422 and 5.9K 30P 12-bit RAW (both to external Atomos Ninja V).

The two lenses I use are:

1. Sigma 14-24mm DG DN f/2.8 Art - Firmware updated to version 1.3

2. Sigma 24-70mm DG DN f/2.8 Art - Firmware also updated to version 1.3

Panasonic Lumix S5 is currently on firmware 2.4 (some bluetooth fixes since version 2.3, no AF changes mentioned in release notes).

In a variety of lighting situations, I'm able to move from subject to subject and have the focus work well to my expectations.    This is even when at 70mm.

Linear focus support in MF was also added to the Sigma lenses with this firmware update.   You still need to use a USB L-Mount dock and the Sigma optimization software to adjust the focus through (runs just fine on my 14" MacBook Pro M1 Max, so the software is Apple Silicon compatible).    The dock is not needed for firmware updates, you can do them in camera just like Panasonic lens updates.    In addition, the default Linear MF is good, so adjusting it might not be necessary for most.

For those that have the lenses already, try updating them and giving the AF another test.

As for photography, these are excellent as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, projectwoofer said:

Yes, from my tests with EIS I think I’m only going to use it with longer lenses, FHD pixel pixel mode for extra reach and relatively static shots. It seems to work nicely in those situations. For all other static shots IBIS with IS boost works fantastically for me. I don’t move the camera a lot generally but for those panning, tilting and generally light movements simple IBIS without boost is best. Fortunately I never film while walking so I have no real need for a gimbal. 

 

That does sound like the best combination. I never use IBIS for walking, anything that needs more than simple hand holding and I put the camera on a gimbal, tripod, or monopod.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, herein2020 said:

I am hoping its not their "Going out of Business" sale....there's always that possibility.

Possibility, but probably not yet…if at all.

All companies have a lifespan. That’s just a historical fact. I don’t think it’s quite time yet for Panny Boy.

I am sure they are working on a successor to the S1 line as development time takes years.

They probably started that right after the S1/R/H launched, but these things also evolve based on all kinds of factors.

When?

Well that’s the question I would also like to know as it has a large bearing on where I go and what I do with my own set up because I am actively considering next years kit which is a question of timing + cost.

Realistically, I can’t see them announcing any next gen S1 until at least this Autumn if not later. Or at all.

I do think they will give it one more shot at least but unless they get the AF up to par, the bean counters will pull the plug on at least the full frame camera division because I do not believe that in this market they can compete otherwise.

I don’t care if it’s PDAF or DFD as long as it works.

The jury is still out on the AF of the GH6 with some parties saying it is better than the S5 and some saying it isn’t.

I’ve seen a few tests (decent ones) and it looks little different to me, but as I always say, it’s good enough for 95% of my needs but that remaining 5% use case cannot be ignored as it is an important part of every job for me.

I have absolutely nailed down my entire kit requirements on paper re. a system as a whole, bodies and lenses and as things stand, the closest to that ideal is actually an OM-1 4/3rds based system. Which I would have laughed at just 2 months ago, but is what it is.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, herein2020 said:

I am hoping its not their "Going out of Business" sale....there's always that possibility.

Possibility, but probably not yet…if at all.

All companies have a lifespan. That’s just a historical fact. I don’t think it’s quite time yet for Panny Boy.

I am sure they are working on a successor to the S1 line as development time takes years.

They probably started that right after the S1/R/H launched, but these things also evolve based on all kinds of factors.

When?

Well that’s the question I would also like to know as it has a large bearing on where I go and what I do with my own set up because I am actively considering next years kit which is a question of timing + cost.

Realistically, I can’t see them announcing any next gen S1 until at least this Autumn if not later. Or at all.

I do think they will give it one more shot at least but unless they get the AF up to par, the bean counters will pull the plug on at least the full frame camera division because I do not believe that in this market they can compete otherwise.

I don’t care if it’s PDAF or DFD as long as it works.

The jury is still out on the AF of the GH6 with some parties saying it is better than the S5 and some saying it isn’t.

I’ve seen a few tests (decent ones) and it looks little different to me, but as I always say, it’s good enough for 95% of my needs but that remaining 5% use case cannot be ignored as it is an important part of every job for me.

I have absolutely nailed down my entire kit requirements on paper re. a system as a whole, bodies and lenses and as things stand, the closest to that ideal is actually an OM-1 4/3rds based system. Which I would have laughed at just 2 months ago, but is what it is.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, herein2020 said:

I am hoping its not their "Going out of Business" sale....there's always that possibility.

Possibility, but probably not yet…if at all.

All companies have a lifespan. That’s just a historical fact. I don’t think it’s quite time yet for Panny Boy.

I am sure they are working on a successor to the S1 line as development time takes years.

They probably started that right after the S1/R/H launched, but these things also evolve based on all kinds of factors.

When?

Well that’s the question I would also like to know as it has a large bearing on where I go and what I do with my own set up because I am actively considering next years kit which is a question of timing + cost.

Realistically, I can’t see them announcing any next gen S1 until at least this Autumn if not later. Or at all.

I do think they will give it one more shot at least but unless they get the AF up to par, the bean counters will pull the plug on at least the full frame camera division because I do not believe that in this market they can compete otherwise.

I don’t care if it’s PDAF or DFD as long as it works.

The jury is still out on the AF of the GH6 with some parties saying it is better than the S5 and some saying it isn’t.

I’ve seen a few tests (decent ones) and it looks little different to me, but as I always say, it’s good enough for 95% of my needs but that remaining 5% use case cannot be ignored as it is an important part of every job for me.

I have absolutely nailed down my entire kit requirements on paper re. a system as a whole, bodies and lenses and as things stand, the closest to that ideal is actually an OM-1 4/3rds based system. Which I would have laughed at just 2 months ago, but is what it is.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, William Turner said:

My experience has been very good with two Sigma lenses and AFC (Area+ Human/Animal detect on) for video recording.   Both 4K 60P 10-bit 422 and 5.9K 30P 12-bit RAW (both to external Atomos Ninja V).

Glad to hear they have been working out for you.

In my experience, even the native Panasonic 24-105 f/4 has not been what I would consider dependable in those conditions (at least when shooting in V-LOG, which I use 97% of the time, unless I forgot to bring ND filters).

I do use the One-Area Plus focus area and with Human Detect on (when shooting people / interviews).

As for the Sigma Art lenses themselves, I think it is great that they are part of the L Mount alliance. I wish Tamron would join too, though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

I wish Tamron would join too, though.

Slightly jealous of the 35-150mm f2-2.8

OK, it's a bit of a beast, but as a 'one and done' lens...

I think I'd need to add a grip to balance something like that properly, but then there is a certain appeal to me of 'built in' grip bodies such as the R3 and Z9.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, MrSMW said:

Slightly jealous of the 35-150mm f2-2.8

OK, it's a bit of a beast, but as a 'one and done' lens...

I think I'd need to add a grip to balance something like that properly, but then there is a certain appeal to me of 'built in' grip bodies such as the R3 and Z9.

 

I wouldn't mind a built in grip for photography but would not want it for video. I have a grip for my 5DIV but for video I add cages, handles, etc. and need to go from handheld to gimbal pretty often so the extra bulk from an integrated grip would not work for my needs.

For photography and the type of work I shoot a grip is essential since I shoot mostly portrait orientation and the extra buttons in portrait mode really help out; not to mention of course the extra battery life.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No video evidence (well I do but I'm not posting it) but finished my final pre-wedding season AF tests and can report that the S5 with the 20-60 is in fact 'quite decent'.

My final tests today were based on it being mounted on a tripod with the Sony ZV1 hotshoe mounted for comparison.

It did pretty well and was mostly reliable with all the walking towards tests. Anything else is a breeze.

Tripod, 4k 50p, Natural profile tweaked to my taste, one area AF + face, speed -1, sensitivity -3, f5.6 and shot at 20mm 35mm and 60mm.

I was going to test the 24-105 also but in the end decided not to because the few times I need AF and the above combo, the 24-105 is shooting stills on my S1R so of no use to me whether it's better or worse!

Some folks reckon it's actually better and I suspect it might be by a small margin, but the 20-60 is OK for my needs.

The combo actually BEAT the ZV1 on one occasion and that was a mock exit where I 'walked up the aisle' and the S5 tracked me perfectly and the ZV1 decided the background trees were more interested. F**k you Sony Boy!

My final conclusion is this entire season of 33 hybrid shooting weddings, I'm going with:

S1R 90% stills, 10% handheld or monopod video.

S1H 100% manual focus handheld, monopod or tripod (ceremony) video.

S5, manual focus ceremony and speeches, AF entrances, exits, confetti etc, 100% on the tripod.

I did use this combo 5th of last years meagre 5 weddings and the S1H + pair of S5's combo the 4 previous so know it well enough now.

Just nailed down now what is being used where, how and with what lenses as a workflow based system.

Juggled with the drone, ZV1 (BTS) and Action Go 2 (timelapse).

Phew 😜

Bring on the rest of '22!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I hope the price drop is just to act as a gateway drug into the L -mount line up!

I think they probably should slimline the line up to the S1H, S1R and S5 where the S5 is the all rounder.

I'd love a S1H mk2 with better AF but more than anything the punch in to check focus while filming. That alone keeps me with Panasonic (well, price plays a part too).

Another thing is that the S5 mk2 needs a better VF and LCD. I sometimes wonder if what I'm doing with the S5 is going to look good when I'm filming as on the LCD or VF it looks a bit meh. When I get home and have a look on the computer I'm almost always greatly relieved.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Thpriest said:

I hope the price drop is just to act as a gateway drug into the L -mount line up!

I think they probably should slimline the line up to the S1H, S1R and S5 where the S5 is the all rounder.

I'd love a S1H mk2 with better AF but more than anything the punch in to check focus while filming. That alone keeps me with Panasonic (well, price plays a part too).

Another thing is that the S5 mk2 needs a better VF and LCD. I sometimes wonder if what I'm doing with the S5 is going to look good when I'm filming as on the LCD or VF it looks a bit meh. When I get home and have a look on the computer I'm almost always greatly relieved.

All of this plus better focus peaking, but especially make all the LCD's the same as yes, there is a massive difference between S1H and S5.

There are a couple of other options for me to consider...and will be others I am sure when the time comes, but next year, if I stick with the current system and no new Lumix models have appeared before next season starts, I reckon I'll swap out the S5 for another S1H.

Or I might...just might however, flip the S5 for a BS-1H as the role I use the S5 in as static on a tripod, longer duration stuff, so less concern about rigging it (the Bullshit-1H).

Probably a pair of S1H's for video and my S1R for stills.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/25/2022 at 1:30 AM, MrSMW said:

I’d like to see the next model in two identical versions internally but one with a built in grip.

That way we’d all have choice!

 

I think it would be cheaper for them to continue as they do now, body without a grip but offer an add on grip, Panasonic's camera division doesn't seem exactly flush with cash right now and not everyone wants a grip. To me offering an add-on grip is a perfectly acceptable compromise.

Also, the main benefit of an integrated grip is the larger battery, which is also a downside; now you need multiple chargers and two battery systems if you have one with the grip and one without. With an add-on grip it uses the same batteries.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not necessarily, an integrated grip could use the same batteries as an option grip as the integrated would have say 2 of the same?

But as much as I’d like to see the choice of options, yes, it’s a bit unlikely in this times.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/10/2022 at 2:00 AM, MrSMW said:

Not necessarily, an integrated grip could use the same batteries as an option grip as the integrated would have say 2 of the same?

But as much as I’d like to see the choice of options, yes, it’s a bit unlikely in this times.

That could definitely be an option, I guess I am used to Canon's integrated grips which always use a larger single battery vs two of the same smaller batteries. All of Canon's add-on grips use two of the smaller batteries. Not sure what Sony or Nikon does.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...