Panasonic S1H ProRes RAW 6K 12bit - download firmware

Andrew Reid

12 hours ago, Matt Hollman said:

Here's a very boring test shot of my kitchen at ISO 12800, Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 @ f/2.8 (ungraded). The light is coming in from another room and was quite dark to the eye. If you zoom into the image there is definitely noise, but it's totally usable even without noise reduction added.

ISO12800.png

Thanks! It looks very clean and the noise is rather fine. I downsized it to UHD 4k and it cleans up even better. I bet with a bit of color noise reduction it will be silky smooth. Assuming you want that look. Rather amazing for ISO 12800. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 7/29/2020 at 6:12 PM, Video Hummus said:

Damn, imagine if that had ProRes RAW or BM RAW internal and didn’t need an external recorder.

It would be simply unbeatable. The crazy thing is, that you could grab three used S1H cams last week, as everyone was cashing out to race to Sony and Canon's offerings. Kinda wish I dodn't book that all inclusive vacation to Puerto Rico next week, cause I would certainly love to grab a few more! 😀

I have been trying to import the ProRes RAW footage that I captured into Premiere Pro CC, and I have discovered a bug. 😢

I have an AMD Ryzen CPU, and I have both an AMD Radeon Frontier Edition 16GB VRAM GPU AND an NVidia Tesla K20 GPU that is for dedicated compute. The requirements for ProRes RAW for Windows are you must have an NVidia card and you must configure the project to run accelerated with CUDA. I have done that, even though I could use OpenCL and Software Rendering, but the ProRes RAW plug-in fails everytime.

The Adobe community forum says that this is a new, known bug, and that they are working on a fix for it.

I really hate that this is happening, as I have a trip set up next week, and I wanted to capture some ProRes stock footage while I was on the island. I will still capture this, but now I have to capture ProRes RAW, ProRes, and H.264/H.265 just in case a trash a ProRes RAW exposure.

3 hours ago, Lux Shots said:

It would be simply unbeatable. The crazy thing is, that you could grab three used S1H cams last week, as everyone was cashing out to race to Sony and Canon's offerings. Kinda wish I dodn't book that all inclusive vacation to Puerto Rico next week, cause I would certainly love to grab a few more! 😀

Hopefully the used prices will drop to 2500€ soon due to the A7S III and R5. Then I might snatch one up. But I dont think the S1H was overly popular, and didnt sell to the masses for some reason. I only know one guy who owns one. 

15 minutes ago, Video Hummus said:

1) Unreliable AF. AF is the hot ticket item on any camera now.

2) The L-mount is new with big expensive lenses currently.

3) There isn’t some mega YouTube personality trumpeting the camera.

I mean it's not a V-logger camera, more like a cinema workhorse which could be used as an A-camera image wise even.

8 minutes ago, deezid said:

I mean it's not a V-logger camera, more like a cinema workhorse which could be used as an A-camera image wise even.

Yes, but at this point, if it had competent AF it would be the affordable cinema level camera for the those you tubers as well. Go back and look at the comments on PM’s videos when he used the 1DX..people lusting over having one so they could be “like him”. Not saying its right, just saying perceived image is part of the equation in selling products.

It’s moments like these with flagship FF cameras from Panasonics direct competitors self-combusting on the interwebs, is exactly why they need someone out there trumpeting their reliable, workhorse, cameras. It’s marketing 101.

5 minutes ago, Video Hummus said:

Yes, but at this point, if it had competent AF it would be the affordable cinema level camera for the those you tubers as well. Go back and look at the comments on PM’s videos when he used the 1DX..people lusting over having one so they could be “like him”. Not saying its right, just saying perceived image is part of the equation in selling products.

It’s moments like these with flagship FF cameras from Panasonics direct competitors self-combusting on the interwebs, is exactly why they need someone out there trumpeting their reliable, workhorse, cameras. It’s marketing 101.

True, but I'm not going to sacrifice image quality, color science, DCI4K, true 24p, shutter angles, waveform, a screen I can use outside of available light and reliability over proper autofocus.
And yes, I wish autofocus was somewhat usable as it would push sales for sure. 😉

Just now, Video Hummus said:

We can have both, no? Something something about eating cake....😎

"All I want is the perfect camera..."
Sadly there's no such thing. The Sony sounded great on paper but the footage looks super underwhelming because of the heavy processing especially.

Honestly it’s past time for Tilta or similar to just make a stand-alone AF module that controls their focus motors. Then any camera could have decent AF! 

AF this, AF that... it’s just a tool. Sure, you shouldn’t use it all the time, but there are times where it is the tool for the job. Heck, I’d trust Canon’s AF on my 16mm camera most of the time (if that was a thing,) because I’ve tried pulling focus off that tiny ground glass, and it’s just not reliable. As is, I have to get an extra pair of hands and a tape measure to avoid wasting film on blurry takes.  

20 minutes ago, Caleb Genheimer said:

Honestly it’s past time for Tilta or similar to just make a stand-alone AF module that controls their focus motors. Then any camera could have decent AF! 

AF this, AF that... it’s just a tool. Sure, you shouldn’t use it all the time, but there are times where it is the tool for the job. Heck, I’d trust Canon’s AF on my 16mm camera most of the time (if that was a thing,) because I’ve tried pulling focus off that tiny ground glass, and it’s just not reliable. As is, I have to get an extra pair of hands and a tape measure to avoid wasting film on blurry takes.  

that would also work with my manual lenses 😄

15 hours ago, Lux Shots said:

It would be simply unbeatable. The crazy thing is, that you could grab three used S1H cams last week, as everyone was cashing out to race to Sony and Canon's offerings. Kinda wish I dodn't book that all inclusive vacation to Puerto Rico next week, cause I would certainly love to grab a few more!

I also think the Sony A7 IV is probably coming in October/November. It'll probably use the new Sony Bionz XR so I'm guessing it'll offer 6K raw with a very reliable AF at about $2200. Without the fan. So slightly smaller with more lens options. 
Anyways, something to keep in mind. 

6 hours ago, salim said:

I also think the Sony A7 IV is probably coming in October/November. It'll probably use the new Sony Bionz XR so I'm guessing it'll offer 6K raw with a very reliable AF at about $2200. Without the fan. So slightly smaller with more lens options. 
Anyways, something to keep in mind. 

I'm knee deep into the L-Mount for at least the next 5 years, so I'm not in the market to switch. But I am always willing to consider a deal on another S1H if my funds are right. 😀

I think the next L-mount camera released from Panasonic will make it or break it for them in the FF market.

They are in a bit of a pickle.

The Sigma fp is competing with them on the artistry side. People that like or want a MF camera with ALL-I, RAW, to tinker with and shoot passion projects with.

Their FF S cameras were pretty much ignored professionally by photographers. I’m not saying there aren’t people out there using and loving their S1/R, but I highly doubt it sold well.

From what I can tell, the S1H was about to gain serious momentum in the video world. Now, with the A7S3 that might change, if it performs without overheating. If the A7siii provides reliable video performance without hickups just like the A73 it will sell well. A73 and A7s2 owners will update as soon as their cashflow will allow.

Panasonic should have given the S1 the VLOG/10bit as part of the package for 2000USD, the S1H for 3000.  I am still not keen on spending 200 extra on the VLOG update for my S1 and I am not exited about the HD image. GH5 on the contrary has a perfect HD image up to 60p. Why dont S1 and S1H have perfect HD? Such a pretty image but falling a bit short on a few things unnecessarily, without good reason, so to say.