Jump to content

Gerald Undone on camera fans and his Z-CAM review


Andrew Reid

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Or is it just likeable satire? I can't decide. Sometimes he is actually right. He is right about the G100 for one.

I just take it as a joke, he seems like a decent guy who is funny sometimes. I don't watch all his videos (or even watch through all of the ones I do), but I do find his humour funny because he's just trying to be a regular guy and not some inflated egotistical giant like most reviewers and influenzas are. For the record I've never watched an episode to get factual information. I think he fills a good niche that no one really has previous and his sense of humour at times appeals to me (making a joke out of people and things that take stuff really serious is the best, I hope he's making money).

For the record my favourite camera YouTube channel is - Analog Resurgence. That guy is doing it for all the right reasons and it shows.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tweak said:

They've actually answered it a ton of times in the group, search it up.

Do you still know the answer, as I just searched the group for 5 minutes. But could only find why its not possible externally(hdmi port is not up for it) and the question exists from the time the e2 4k was released, surely they could have made some technical improvements so it was possible on the s6 and f6.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Solution:

Abolish Facebook.

Is there anything you don't hate? 😄

You are against everything popular or successful. 

You write articles about stuff you dont even see in person... and when people questions your credibility (C5D) you instantly outcry instead of rethinking your statements, and how did you end up there..

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/28/2020 at 7:54 AM, zerocool22 said:

They should talk to bm asap and either implement braw or hope bm resolve will include zraw support. 

They seem to dodge this question. Maybe they already had contact, an open communication on this would be appreciated. 

It's probably been one of the most asked questions. They haven't dodged any questions about it, they have been open.

Answers:
Braw unlikely due to brands being very competitive, also the way in which Braw needs to be implemented. Support for ProResRaw is about to be released. Support for Zraw in Resolve is in BM's hands, if you want it you can help by sending BM an email and requesting support like many users have been doing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

Z-cam definitely needs a FAQ or knowledge base on its website, because the Facebook group can be very overwhelming. 

There is a user made one and it’s constantly updated, though not on the main site, but it’s been recommended a ton, even from Kinson himself: https://reduxfilm.co/z-cam-handbook/#Frequently_Asked_Questions

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/27/2020 at 7:12 PM, Yurolov said:

Kai isn't a real reviewer. It's all fluff. This guy actually is the best for what he is, which is discussing vlog equipment. He never purports to be anything more. But the crossover comes if you are interested in a cameras ability to autofocus and stabilise. He has the best reviews in that regard with the most comparisons. Things like autofocus and ibis need a long format review, multiple reviews in fact, to discuss and show the cameras abilities. No one else takes the time to do that or show that. 

I like Kai W.  

I don't remember him going off into fanboy land.  As far as Undone, I'm not sure about him.   He gets technical but tries to legalistic his review to one side or another. 

The problem with his Z Cam review is people will run with his review and give doubter a road map to follow.  He creates a check list of pro's and cons for the Z Cam but each pro and con doesn't hold the same weight.

Does he seem to lean more for Sony or against? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

Prores raw has the same problem though, you cannot use it in davinci resolve.

Correct.

4 hours ago, ktfright said:

There is a user made one and it’s constantly updated, though not on the main site, but it’s been recommended a ton, even from Kinson himself: https://reduxfilm.co/z-cam-handbook/#Frequently_Asked_Questions

Thank you, I was trying to remember what it's called, it's hard to find in search.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ι do not have a FB account. Forums are much better for me.

Kai is ok. He is really ok.

The conspiracies are 10% funny, and I give him another 20% because he is a specialist on the subject.

Gerald, I have seen a few videos, I do not have really an opinion about him.

If I had to choose, I would prefer Kai for a pint or two in the local pub, and that means a lot to me!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just chiming in for:

I kind of despise Kai. Much as he may know his stuff I think he's a classic 'trapped in branding' / 'designer label' / 'I only like the "best" brands' mindset and it shows at least a little, maybe more, in the videos I could be arsed watching from him. Just an annoying attitude and not all that funny.

I'm not watching 55 minutes of Gerald Undone metananalysing his own review and the reaction (I managed maybe 15 mins of it) but I would be inclined to say fuck off to any Zcam zealots who care so much about this that they moaned a lot about it, but also by a similar token it's stupid and weird of Gerald to care so much what they think. The more you say "okay wait, let me explain / pls forgive me" to entitled nobodies on the internet, the more they will try to come for you.

Now my real reason for posting: I grew to LOVE camera conspiracies guy. Seems a really genuine and genuinely funny guy, self-aware and self-deprecating (and bonus points for getting into youtube vlogging for something actually real compared to other youtubers and audio/visual tech reviewers - his health problems and diets to fix them. Not some "how quick can I monetise and get sent free things" intention).
Love his Vegetable conspiracies channel too, he's a weirdo.
Example, Kasey from Cam Conspiracies can be seen interacting and being legit nice and friendly in an off the cuff, unscripted way to like homeless dudes who come up on him while filming, I can't imagine it with someone like Kai, he'd probably try to call the cops or something.
Kasey's just likeable. More of a true outsider, gives zero weight to all the "I'm a ~filmmaker~ and ~visual storyteller~" pomp and "professional" pretentions out there, takes the hot air out of all that and instead gets into the use-in-anger grittys and gotchas of cameras that many more polished reviewers just don't, no matter how many "I was not paid to give a positive review" statements they throw in.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrators
2 hours ago, dgvro said:

Just chiming in for:

I kind of despise Kai. Much as he may know his stuff I think he's a classic 'trapped in branding' / 'designer label' / 'I only like the "best" brands' mindset

I agree. You got to the heart of it there.

And on top of that mindset he displays absolutely no learning, no knowledge, no talent for photography or film.

A consumerist twerp in a baseball cap.

2 hours ago, dgvro said:

and it shows at least a little, maybe more, in the videos I could be arsed watching from him. Just an annoying attitude and not all that funny.

The primitive dumb humour really is on his audience's level :)

2 hours ago, dgvro said:

I'm not watching 55 minutes of Gerald Undone metananalysing his own review and the reaction (I managed maybe 15 mins of it) but I would be inclined to say fuck off to any Zcam zealots who care so much about this that they moaned a lot about it, but also by a similar token it's stupid and weird of Gerald to care so much what they think. The more you say "okay wait, let me explain / pls forgive me" to entitled nobodies on the internet, the more they will try to come for you.

True!

2 hours ago, dgvro said:

Now my real reason for posting: I grew to LOVE camera conspiracies guy. Seems a really genuine and genuinely funny guy, self-aware and self-deprecating (and bonus points for getting into youtube vlogging for something actually real compared to other youtubers and audio/visual tech reviewers - his health problems and diets to fix them. Not some "how quick can I monetise and get sent free things" intention).

He does seem to be a genuine, authentic weirdo.

What I have come to like about it is he does actually get it right.

The actual camera musings are really solid. I even learn something from it.

I have not learnt a single bit of knowledge from Kai.

And Chris / Jordan just state the obvious... what could be written down in one paragraph stretches to over 10 minutes.

It comes down in the end to why people watch YouTube

Is it to learn about cameras and be entertained.

Or is it to just be entertained only and indulge in some warm, fuzzy, consumerism? The way most people treat YouTube is same way as going shopping with friends for a new pair of Nike.

2 hours ago, dgvro said:

Love his Vegetable conspiracies channel too, he's a weirdo.
Example, Kasey from Cam Conspiracies can be seen interacting and being legit nice and friendly in an off the cuff, unscripted way to like homeless dudes who come up on him while filming, I can't imagine it with someone like Kai, he'd probably try to call the cops or something.

Kai treats people with distain speaking from personal experience.

At the last Photokina he was shooting with Blackmagic P4K.

So I DM'ed Kai to see if he'd be up for a shoot.

I always try to meet in person if I want to figure out what somebody is like.

He said a vague yeah, totally uncommitted... really disrespectful.

A day passes, nothing. He then actually started teasing me with photos of his BM P4K, while dodging the meet-up for a coffee.

WTF?

Then I pushed again to meet up and he ghosted me till the end of the show.

He was literally in same show hall as me.

And this is a guy who has not once reached out to EOSHD or used the forum, or referenced me in his work over 10 YEARS of being in same camera community!!

So he can fuck off as far as I'm concerned and take his shitty videos with him.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...