Some Galileo action going on

Cosimo

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

Awesome! Now if you could explain a bit more to the clueless:) Beautiful images. What camera did you use? Out of likes for today.

Thanks very much,  In short, what I do is experimenting with anamorphic glass using the 35mm and 16mm projector scopes. Once the glass has been extracted out  its original body from different anamorphic lenses I combine  and mix them, finding a match with different systems that meet the afocal condition. That is parallel light in/ parallel light out, ending up with a completely different scope in terms of compression ratio, IQ, character, multi-colors in the horizontal artifacts and structure (dimensions). The process is quite tiring and time-consuming. The first photos show 3 Schneider Cinelux-based hybrid prototypes fixed at infinity, without focus ring. These hybrids will fit inside a FVD focusing now is possible  from minimum to infinity. I have made other interesting combinations with very large front glasses such as front 35Nap and front  HI FI 2 which have been cut to the right diameter matched with the right rear glass re-housed and ready to enter the FVD. There is much more to say but I don't want bore you. I am on full frame sensor 5D3.

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Cosimo said:

Cinelux front glass/ Moller 32 rear glass 1.6X with Lomo  block 75mm on FF sensor. 

cinemoller 1.6 lomo 75mm  less than f5.6 with FVD laila_00000.jpg

nice colours, quite vibrant i think. i guess some of it comes from the grading but the lenses still have some input into the outcome. I do like this combination however i'm not sure about the multiple horizontal flares on your earlier post.What sort of flaring do you get with this combination ?   I hope your not paying full price for these lenses to break apart ?

13 hours ago, leslie said:

nice colours, quite vibrant i think. i guess some of it comes from the grading but the lenses still have some input into the outcome. I do like this combination however i'm not sure about the multiple horizontal flares on your earlier post.What sort of flaring do you get with this combination ?   I hope your not paying full price for these lenses to break apart ?

Thanks Leslie! To be honest I also had some doubt about the multiple horizontal flares,  I have contacted Mr Dan Sasaki  Panavision optical engineer to have an opinion about my scopes and my experiments. I had a lovely chat with the guy. You can read the answer on the screenshot I have attached from my private messenger .There is no grading at all in the photo I 've posted. No I haven't paid full price for my lenses , it is an early investment I did when the anamorphics  weren't  so expensive like in these days,, I am glad I did though, most of these were quite cheap as well since they had small issues. This is a quick flare test I did quite long time ago with this scope 

Capture.JPG

6 hours ago, Cosimo said:

Thanks Leslie! To be honest I also had some doubt about the multiple horizontal flares,  I have contacted Mr Dan Sasaki  Panavision optical engineer to have an opinion about my scopes and my experiments. I had a lovely chat with the guy. You can read the answer on the screenshot I have attached from my private messenger .There is no grading at all in the photo I 've posted. No I haven't paid full price for my lenses , it is an early investment I did when the anamorphics  weren't  so expensive like in these days,, I am glad I did though, most of these were quite cheap as well since they had small issues. This is a quick flare test I did quite long time ago with this scope 

my mistake, i was thinking the image was from a frame of a clip, not a photo from a full frame. I hadn't really connected the dots so to speak. Of course now that i have reread everything not having to grade and having such colours,  it makes sense. Still its a nice image (no pun intended)

that flaring is pretty bold, not sure it would grow on me. I do have a nap 35 pulled apart sitting in a box, maybe i need to keep an eye out for another broken anamorphic to play with.

5 hours ago, leslie said:

my mistake, i was thinking the image was from a frame of a clip, not a photo from a full frame. I hadn't really connected the dots so to speak. Of course now that i have reread everything not having to grade and having such colours,  it makes sense. Still its a nice image (no pun intended)

that flaring is pretty bold, not sure it would grow on me. I do have a nap 35 pulled apart sitting in a box, maybe i need to keep an eye out for another broken anamorphic to play with.

No worries, and good luck with your 35Nap.

5 hours ago, leslie said:

I do have a nap 35 pulled apart sitting in a box, maybe i need to keep an eye out for another broken anamorphic to play with.

You can always 'rehouse' it with some 3D printed elements - this makes it much lighter and more manageable.

@Cosimo, I'm in awe with your hybrids. Even more because many of them are based on my favorite anamorphic scope - Schneider Cinelux.

I just can't get enough of this gorgeous images. 

Please, keep them coming!

59 minutes ago, heart0less said:

You can always 'rehouse' it with some 3D printed elements - this makes it much lighter and more manageable.

Digressing abit,  a 3d printer would be cool, spent years running cnc machines, was learning a water jet cutter before corona virus, but thats fallen by the wayside. I have a powerful need to get a rapido fvd16a next. So that is what any spare money is going towards at the moment.

If i get back onto a waterjet I'd be tempted to throw the nap 35 lenses under it and resize them to something a bit more convenient Probably just enough to have them fit the  rapido fvd16. No idea how that would work in reality but the nap was pretty cheap, i'd sacrifice it in the name of science

9 hours ago, leslie said:

Digressing abit,  a 3d printer would be cool, spent years running cnc machines, was learning a water jet cutter before corona virus, but thats fallen by the wayside. I have a powerful need to get a rapido fvd16a next. So that is what any spare money is going towards at the moment.

If i get back onto a waterjet I'd be tempted to throw the nap 35 lenses under it and resize them to something a bit more convenient Probably just enough to have them fit the  rapido fvd16. No idea how that would work in reality but the nap was pretty cheap, i'd sacrifice it in the name of science

yeah cool idea,  I did cut the HI FI 2 and the 35Nap  to 70mm diameter to fit inside the FVD, then used both  front  glass and mixed with other rear glass.  Among the pictures I posted above you can see the 1.75X  still which is a mix of the 35Nap and Moller 46 rear and the HI fi 2 front mixed with the rectimascop 48, fixed at infinity with the single focus ability.  Quick focus video test  of the Hi FI 2  front with the rectimascop 48.

Hi Fi 2 Cut.JPG

1.75X 35Nap moller 46 rear lomo 75mm f4 with FM cropped to 2.40 Laila  with LUT_00000.jpg

5 hours ago, Cosimo said:

yeah cool idea,  I did cut the HI FI 2 and the 35Nap  to 70mm diameter to fit inside the FVD, then used both  front  glass and mixed with other rear glass.  Among the pictures I posted above you can see the 1.75X  still which is a mix of the 35Nap and Moller 46 rear and the HI fi 2 front mixed with the rectimascop 48, fixed at infinity with the single focus ability.  Quick focus video test  of the Hi FI 2  front with the rectimascop 48.

i do like the images your getting. How did you cut the glass ? i'm guessing a diamond blade on a 5 inch grinder ?  By the way you should enroll that kid in drama classes you've got a budding actress on your hands 😀

No offense, but this is pointless. I mean, maybe if you have too much time on quarantine it's an interesting hobby, but it looks like you simply ruined schneider cinelux lenses. Any cheap sankor lens can do much better than this, with nice waterfall background. Get yourself a good cinelux and it will be a proper lens with good image, that won oscar.  I don't know what's a point in these, they look hacked together, not suitable even for lowest budget indie productions. I don't think any DP would put that on their camera. Maybe you should look at Rapido Technologies, they make good products like cases for anamorphics with engravings. etc. They still don't look very good, just a dull black pipe, but anything would look better than this. I think this would scare away any model or client when they see it in front of the camera. Maybe that explains why you only photograph kids and have no serious work to show with these.

7 hours ago, rokkimort said:

No offense, but this is pointless. I mean, maybe if you have too much time on quarantine it's an interesting hobby, but it looks like you simply ruined schneider cinelux lenses. Any cheap sankor lens can do much better than this, with nice waterfall background. Get yourself a good cinelux and it will be a proper lens with good image, that won oscar.  I don't know what's a point in these, they look hacked together, not suitable even for lowest budget indie productions. I don't think any DP would put that on their camera. Maybe you should look at Rapido Technologies, they make good products like cases for anamorphics with engravings. etc. They still don't look very good, just a dull black pipe, but anything would look better than this. I think this would scare away any model or client when they see it in front of the camera. Maybe that explains why you only photograph kids and have no serious work to show with these.

Seems like your the one that's been cooped up too long,.... We do this because we can. There is no right or wrong,  there is only the image aesthetic. If it doesn't please you go someplace else. Rapido sure do make some nice kit, i plan on getting the fvd16 fairly soon. Having said that i bet that rapido's  first few efforts were not exactly exhilarating to look at either. On set it wouldn't surprise me what a DP' would do to get an image. So long as it doesn't fall apart and kill some poor sod who cares what it looks like. Your last comment is just mean and spiteful. Everyone has been cooped up for the last three months, cosimo is fortunate to have some kids that are happy enough to be involved.

17 hours ago, rokkimort said:

let off steam, remember to clean up when you're done.