Sony PMW-F3 with 2500 hours on it. Should I buy it?

basil_555

What are people's favorite settings when you're not using s-log, when you're shooting something live with your Sony F3, or you're handing over files that you know will not have a fancy competent editor but will just be merely trimmed and maybe a couple of simple cuts in the edit but nothing else? 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Can this thread become dedicated to any older Sony camera? After 12 years of shooting with mirrorless cameras, DSLRs, and Blackmagic Pocket/Micro cams, I finally got a proper "camcorder" or "cinema camera" or whatever you want to call it. I got a camera I had my eye on for the past four years that finally popped up on mbp for $999 so I had to have it. The Sony FS5! I also preordered the Sirui Nightwalker cine lenses on Indiegogo so I can have some proper no-fuss lenses to go with my no-fuss camera. I haven't had a proper camera for video that didn't require a bunch if fiddly rigging since I moved on from the DVX100 (to the GH1) in 2011. The built-in variable ND is amazing.

I got it yesterday so today I decided to test the DR and test with Slog3 in 10bit 4:2:2 2K (and grading with FilmConvert Nitrate). Since last year I've been doing this by sitting in front of a big window at magic hour. This is also partially an experiment to find a good set-up that raises the interior light while sill being somewhat moody. The goal wasn't a bright commercial or interview look but a naturalistic dark-but-not-in-silhouette look without the window going nuclear. The natural light was supplemented by an Aputure LS-60D at full blast shooting through the diffusion disc of a 45" 5-in-1 reflector just out of frame camera-left. The compression of the grab kinda butchers it and crushes the shadows, but at least you get the idea.

Clip0007.00_02_13_11.Still001.thumb.jpg.cae61892c253390907159f1ee26248ca.jpg

Here's the shot before I entered frame, so you can get a better look at the window/space:

Clip0007.00_04_01_16.Still002.thumb.jpg.a567f58d8cd24b7bd9abe2348b69a6e8.jpg

I think the light just barely allowed me to achieve what I wanted. The room is super cramped so it was challenging, but I'm pleased with this. I think I still have some practice/testing to fully get the hang of exposing for and grading Slog3. Side note: I didn't think I would share any footage so I wish I had dressed a little better before getting on camera.

3 hours ago, Matt Kieley said:

Can this thread become dedicated to any older Sony camera? After 12 years of shooting with mirrorless cameras, DSLRs, and Blackmagic Pocket/Micro cams, I finally got a proper "camcorder" or "cinema camera" or whatever you want to call it. I got a camera I had my eye on for the past four years that finally popped up on mbp for $999 so I had to have it. The Sony FS5! I also preordered the Sirui Nightwalker cine lenses on Indiegogo so I can have some proper no-fuss lenses to go with my no-fuss camera. I haven't had a proper camera for video that didn't require a bunch if fiddly rigging since I moved on from the DVX100 (to the GH1) in 2011. The built-in variable ND is amazing.

I got it yesterday so today I decided to test the DR and test with Slog3 in 10bit 4:2:2 2K (and grading with FilmConvert Nitrate). Since last year I've been doing this by sitting in front of a big window at magic hour. This is also partially an experiment to find a good set-up that raises the interior light while sill being somewhat moody. The goal wasn't a bright commercial or interview look but a naturalistic dark-but-not-in-silhouette look without the window going nuclear. The natural light was supplemented by an Aputure LS-60D at full blast shooting through the diffusion disc of a 45" 5-in-1 reflector just out of frame camera-left. The compression of the grab kinda butchers it and crushes the shadows, but at least you get the idea.

Clip0007.00_02_13_11.Still001.thumb.jpg.cae61892c253390907159f1ee26248ca.jpg

Here's the shot before I entered frame, so you can get a better look at the window/space:

Clip0007.00_04_01_16.Still002.thumb.jpg.a567f58d8cd24b7bd9abe2348b69a6e8.jpg

I think the light just barely allowed me to achieve what I wanted. The room is super cramped so it was challenging, but I'm pleased with this. I think I still have some practice/testing to fully get the hang of exposing for and grading Slog3. Side note: I didn't think I would share any footage so I wish I had dressed a little better before getting on camera.

Congrats on getting your FS5, I'm not really familiar with it but judging from that image, it looks like a winner!

In terms of DR, there's a reflection of the sun in the picture and it appears to have clipped?  If so, it really handled it in a very elegant way because the rolloff to clipping is basically indiscernible.  Overall it looks like a high-end image to me, and I'm definitely a believer in getting a high quality 2K capture.

In terms of wardrobe and costume design, I definitely sympathise and am hesitant to share test images that include me in them.  In this case you should have just said it's a test from a project you're working on, and I would have assumed it was an actor on a set and was the result of a full production-design process 🙂 

Also, cool to hear you ordered the Sirui lenses - I've seen some reviews/previews of those and they look like a sensible option, so hopefully it'll be a solid and "no-fuss" setup for you.

What projects / plans have you got for the setup?

6 hours ago, Matt Kieley said:

Can this thread become dedicated to any older Sony camera? After 12 years of shooting with mirrorless cameras, DSLRs, and Blackmagic Pocket/Micro cams, I finally got a proper "camcorder" or "cinema camera" or whatever you want to call it. I got a camera I had my eye on for the past four years that finally popped up on mbp for $999 so I had to have it. The Sony FS5!

Nice deal! Yeah they're shockingly cheap these days. (and even a FS7/F5 isn't much more on eBay now)

In my opinion the FS5 is basically an updated FS700 with better ergonomics (to be fair, it couldn't be much worse than the FS700!) that adds internal 1080 10bit (or 4K 8bit internally). But otherwise, the FS700 and FS5 are more similar than different. (same old sensor for instance) 

22 hours ago, Matt Kieley said:

This looks great man. Honestly if you exposed the subject any brighter I think it would look unnatural.  

On 8/10/2023 at 11:29 AM, IronFilm said:

(same old sensor for instance) 

such as the FS7. But would love to see more Cinealta F3 beauty posted here. We had some great stuff been posted here before. Maybe a F3 challenge would be kewl. I would contribute. It does not have to be a contest, just for being a challenge and motivation to put that Baby Alexa to use. Anyone?:)

Love the rendering of this beauty.

6 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

such as the FS7. But would love to see more Cinealta F3 beauty posted here. We had some great stuff been posted here before. Maybe a F3 challenge would be kewl. I would contribute. It does not have to be a contest, just for being a challenge and motivation to put that Baby Alexa to use. Anyone?:)

Love the rendering of this beauty.

Interesting how some shots look very similar and others looked completely different.  Colour grading dominates the test once again.

Still, the early images were very nice and gave a very low-fi but high-quality feel.  Very nice!

@IronFilmI have read both. Last research leaning more towards your info..Still, F5 providing external 16bit raw vs 12bit on the FS7, 5, 700. From my testing the three are pretty similar in their 4K 10bit outputs. Though the external 4k prores shows less artefacts than internal FS7 codec (Xavc). F5 I cannot comment on.

Did you get to check out the Cineabel profiles?

@kyeVery well said. I liked the look coming from the F3 a good deal better than what they achieved with the Bmpcc4k. I imagine the F3 gives nice colours without much hassle.

So, anyone up for some F3 filming love? I'm in with a Tokina Pro 28-70 F2.6 in Nikon mount. Or a gruesome Tamron 20-40mm 😊

• 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

@IronFilmDavid, from the other side of the world, did you check out a Leica M to FZ adapter

I never did! Am tempted by it now or then, as it's the closest way you could get "mirrorless" (well, they're not, but kinda-ish) lenses used on the F5/F3, and not just merely DSLR or PL lenses. (or the very rare, one FZ lens that exists) 

As it sucks you can't use mirrorless lens on both your Sony FX/FS series cameras and  F3/F5/F55 cameras. 

But something like a set of TTArtisan, Voigtlander, Mitakon, or Zeiss ZM lenses in M Mount would be a choice set you could easily switch back and forth from a mixture of old or new Sony cameras. 

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/products/Rangefinder-Camera-Lenses/ci/8423/N/4288584243?sort=PRICE_LOW_TO_HIGH&filters=fct_mount-type_1345%3Aleica-m-mount

• 1 month later...

Another fan of old Sony pro camcorders (the Sony PMW-EX3), showing them in use even today in 2023 on paid jobs:

It is curious that the genuine Sony BP-U batteries (that he got with his Sony FX9) do not power the Sony PMW-EX3?? But the generic knock off batteries do indeed power it! It's interesting listening to him about why he chose the Sony EX3 instead of the usual Sony FX9 cameras (or even ARRI AMIRA! That he owns as well). 

Another Sony EX3 vs FX9 video from him:

I want a Sony PMW-EX3! Wish I could justify buying one, but I can't. Not any price, no mater how cheap it gets. 

Cranky cameraman was filming a cranky dude talking about 150 nations entering his land. What a statement hard to believe at around 0.38sec. Made me stop watching the video. Should have guessed by the thumbnail of the guy without the beird. With a Sony Cinealta PMW F3, especially external recording, this would have not been recorded indeed.

In the name of your beird and wisdom, how could you allow a facehairless propaganda X man slip into this thread. Now I know. You watched "the creator", then remembered "monsters" and the camera and the scenario. Voila three texas rangers on the loose getting airtime here.

I suggest this stays a thread for the beautiful F3 and the other vintage Sony imagers get their own. It is okay if they stop by in this thread once in a while to hail the queen.:)

150 nations my axx- EX3 witness of many alternative universes. F3, upholder of alternative cinema. 🙂

On 10/17/2023 at 5:28 PM, QuickHitRecord said:

Great thread idea. Maybe we can all hold each other accountable as we strive towards our goals.

I'm a career DP/videographer. I'm 14 years in at this point. In 2024, I want to:

• Finish updating my reel (always a struggle)
  • Finally put profiles up on Mandy, StaffMeUp, and IMDB
  • Reach out to a different producer every other week
  • Write and direct at least one short scripted narrative
  • Not spend any money on camera gear (unless something breaks and needs to be fixed)
  • And shoot a couple of projects with each of these two old MX bodies, so that I can decide which to keep and which to send back out into the world

Unknown.jpeg

On 10/21/2023 at 3:59 AM, davidbazesz said:

Hello guys, i just wanted to say that i just bought a Sony F3 with 444 RGB + the video assist (for just over 1200€) as my first camera after seeing what y'all said about it.

Nice photo 

On 10/21/2023 at 12:43 AM, IronFilm said:

Another fan of old Sony pro camcorders (the Sony PMW-EX3), showing them in use even today in 2023 on paid jobs:

It is curious that the genuine Sony BP-U batteries (that he got with his Sony FX9) do not power the Sony PMW-EX3?? But the generic knock off batteries do indeed power it! It's interesting listening to him about why he chose the Sony EX3 instead of the usual Sony FX9 cameras (or even ARRI AMIRA! That he owns as well). 

Another Sony EX3 vs FX9 video from him:

I want a Sony PMW-EX3! Wish I could justify buying one, but I can't. Not any price, no mater how cheap it gets. 

He used ex3 as the crash cam for his fx9. Makes sense.