Mobile lightweight sliders

Emanuel

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
On 2/20/2020 at 2:58 PM, Emanuel said:

I use this one, although its becoming quite tricky to source now.

Its great with things like RX100 but it will also take an A6500 without expiring.

You have to really tighten the ballhead when its got any weight on it as its a bit flimsy and you have to be careful when using the two track pieces together that it doesn't have a bump when it crosses between them.

Aside from that though, its really far better than it should be for the price as long as you manage your expectations about what to mount on it.

The big plus is how small it is so you can set it up and use it in really confined spaces such as it is here predominantly inside a tabletop light tent (although the outdoor shot was done with it as well) where on a few moves it started outside the tent and went in through the front flap opening.

Even with the A6500 on it is still able to do the angled climbing shots although gravity does give it a help on the way down !

Its nowhere near as sophisticated as the other solutions but it does basic A<>B cycles at different speeds and breaks down to go in any camera bag.

Obviously it depends on your situation, but personally the thing that gripes me is when people don't use a slider at all and they end up with these shaky hand-held shots that just look awful.  I see them on YT all the time.

There's no excuse, because you can easily make a slider out of a flat surface and a tea-towel.  Just put the camera on one end of the tea-towel on one end of the flat surface, then holding the camera in one hand and the other end of the tea-towel, you just pull the camera along, sliding it on the flat surface.

If you haven't got a slider and want something then it's free to try and the results can be great.  Try putting one finger on top of the camera and pushing down to control the friction and stabilise the camera a little more.  You can even use a small table-top tripod or other kind of mount between the camera and tea-towel which will give you some height and adjustable angle.

• 2 months later...

i have been watching the neewer 1 meter slider with 6 bearings. It should be quite smooth i would imagine. my only concerns are by the time i add a taking lens anamorphic lens and its 15mm rail support weight might be getting up there, however with the carbon fiber tubes i could at least fill them up with two part epoxy should they start to flex which should help counteract any flex. The other issue is its jumped from $105 since i started watching it to $138. Not alot of money i know but then theres not a lot of it to throw around either at the moment.

I think when you get very close to relatively small things is when you can't substitute for a slider, e.g. when doing product videos for advertising / online stores or also when doing cooking show / recipe type of stuff. You can try to replicate it with a gimbal but there's zero reproducability and because of the small scale of everything, even the little bit less stability and off-axis movement you get with a gimbal can screw up the shot. It's very different if I close in on a person with a gimbal to end with a medium close-up shot or if I have to close in on a single shoe and end up with a close up of the laces, for example.

Different tools for different applications.

• 1 month later...