Jump to content
Patrick B.

Android Filmic Pro: Disable digital video sharpening

Recommended Posts

Being an iPhone owner I totally missed this:

This is great and I hope Apple follows suit in opening up their API.  For all the advancements in mobile phone imaging, I feel like the baked in sharpening artifacts are the one of the weakest areas of mobile video now that DR and low light are starting to improve.

This seriously makes me want to get an Android just for video.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Awesome.  Yeah, I’ve started shopping around for the best Android phone for video.  I can’t find many video examples testing this particular feature, but the couple I found were very convincing.  I’m seriously wondering if I might be able to transition to phones.

Now I’m just wondering which versions of Android support this API version and feature.  The one tricky thing with Androids is they all run their own special OS flavors.  So I think it would true that some phones can’t be upgraded?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Patrick B. said:

Awesome.  Yeah, I’ve started shopping around for the best Android phone for video.  I can’t find many video examples testing this particular feature, but the couple I found were very convincing.  I’m seriously wondering if I might be able to transition to phones.

Now I’m just wondering which versions of Android support this API version and feature.  The one tricky thing with Androids is they all run their own special OS flavors.  So I think it would true that some phones can’t be upgraded?

The problem is not really the Android version, but how much of the Camera 2 API the manufacturer exposes.

Just bought a Galaxy S9, and 4k60 is not available because of Samsung's implementation of the API. They found a way to circunvent it in the Exynos versions, but in the Snapdragon ones (like mine) is not possible. Every manufacturer have some kind of issues in its implementation.

Better look at the Filmic's Pro blog, and in forums about Filmic Pro to know how it works with each phone. Or, if you live in a country that have return policies, get the phone and try.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Márcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

The problem is not really the Android version, but how much of the Camera 2 API the manufacturer exposes.

Just bought a Galaxy S9, and 4k60 is not available because of Samsung's implementation of the API. They found a way to circunvent it in the Exynos versions, but in the Snapdragon ones (like mine) is not possible. Every manufacturer have some kind of issues in its implementation.

Better look at the Filmic's Pro blog, and in forums about Filmic Pro to know how it works with each phone. Or, if you live in a country that have return policies, get the phone and try.

Ok yeah good point. I did read something about that in the Filmic Pro blog.  I was hoping they had some kind of list of recommendations. I did find a couple phone reviews on their blog. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Subtly brilliant.

Seems to work with my Mate 30 Pro.

The file that comes out of it is quite incredible really. Definitely cinematic.

How's dynamic range using the Log mode?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

Subtly brilliant.

Seems to work with my Mate 30 Pro.

The file that comes out of it is quite incredible really. Definitely cinematic.

That’s great to hear!  I honestly can’t find many examples of people using it, but the couple I saw got me kind of excited ha.  After seeing it disabled it feels like the phone makers are really shooting themselves in the foot but forcing it on by default and not allowing any control.

This is on an older Galaxy S7 using an anamorphic adapter, but some of the shots do NOT look like a phone to me.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How long before we get 8K RAW on a smartphone?

Here is 7.2K RAW on the Mate 30 Pro (still DNG of course)

Sensor quality gap is narrowing to enthusiast interchangeable lens cam

Although something is wrong with how Adobe Camera Raw interprets colour

40mp mate 30 pro.jpg

mate 30 pro raw crop.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

How long before we get 8K RAW on a smartphone?

Here is 7.2K RAW on the Mate 30 Pro (still DNG of course)

Sensor quality gap is narrowing to enthusiast interchangeable lens cam

Although something is wrong with how Adobe Camera Raw interprets colour

That’s a good question.  You’re right... that’s looking pretty dang good and the gap is quickly closing.  If they keep opening up control on stuff like sharpening, adding more phones with 10-bit, and a get better bitrates I feel like we’d be in business.  I guess a lot of these phones might already be able to handle editing and debayering at least 4K raw video.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Andrew Reid said:

I can see a digital bolex style body which you slot your phone into. Shame the smartphone lenses are still quite clinical. C-mount mod anyone?

Now that would be cool!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Patrick B. said:

Awesome.  Yeah, I’ve started shopping around for the best Android phone for video.  I can’t find many video examples testing this particular feature, but the couple I found were very convincing.  I’m seriously wondering if I might be able to transition to phones.

Now I’m just wondering which versions of Android support this API version and feature.  The one tricky thing with Androids is they all run their own special OS flavors.  So I think it would true that some phones can’t be upgraded?

 

4 hours ago, Márcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

The problem is not really the Android version, but how much of the Camera 2 API the manufacturer exposes.

Just bought a Galaxy S9, and 4k60 is not available because of Samsung's implementation of the API. They found a way to circunvent it in the Exynos versions, but in the Snapdragon ones (like mine) is not possible. Every manufacturer have some kind of issues in its implementation.

Better look at the Filmic's Pro blog, and in forums about Filmic Pro to know how it works with each phone. Or, if you live in a country that have return policies, get the phone and try.

OnePlus 7T or the newer Xiaomi Mi 10 Pro I'd rather buy not only because DxOMARK has rated it as the best smartphone camera system ever released. It won't break your bank account either as seems Samsung and Apple counterparts intend to in every single yearly launch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The OnePlus 7T is decent but image processor not on par with Mate 30 Pro. The oversampled 10MP from the Huawei are HUGELY detailed and clean, with natural textures, whereas the 108MP images on the Xiaomi Mi 10 Pro are a bit smeery and it has a soft lens, although end results still very good for a smartphone, they are really not 108MP worth of detail.

I just think the Mate 30 Pro has the edge on processing and trickery. It really is quite amazing.

DXOMark are a fun read, but results should be taken with a pinch of salt because for one thing they don't test RAW and for another they don't tell us the camera settings or picture profiles used for each shot! Still you get an idea though, it's a very helpful French resource :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

I can see a digital bolex style body which you slot your phone into. Shame the smartphone lenses are still quite clinical. C-mount mod anyone?

give it to @kye . I seem to remember him doing something similar, with an action camera some time ago 😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

The OnePlus 7T is decent but image processor not on par with Mate 30 Pro. The oversampled 10MP from the Huawei are HUGELY detailed and clean, with natural textures, whereas the 108MP images on the Xiaomi Mi 10 Pro are a bit smeery and it has a soft lens, although end results still very good for a smartphone, they are really not 108MP worth of detail.

I just think the Mate 30 Pro has the edge on processing and trickery. It really is quite amazing.

DXOMark are a fun read, but results should be taken with a pinch of salt because for one thing they don't test RAW and for another they don't tell us the camera settings or picture profiles used for each shot! Still you get an idea though, it's a very helpful French resource :)

Mi 10 Pro has Snapdragon 865 while OnePlus 7T series don't, without mention 108MP vs 48MP (40MP to Mate 30 Pro). A softer 108MP output doesn't bother me at all, on the contrary, I find the combo really useful to my taste for cinematic results.

But the whole point is Camera2 API I still read contradictory information about its access on Mate 30 Pro or any other Huawei devices for now:

https://developer.huawei.com/consumer/en/CameraKit

https://consumer.huawei.com/en/community/details/Camera2api/topicId_18417/

https://consumer.huawei.com/en/community/details/[P30-Pro]-Support-level-for-Camera-2-API/topicId_6790/

Let alone U.S. block which can devote the brand to ostracism and own proprietary tools, unfortunately.

But let's suppose there will be somewhat access, we mention in full or JUST partially?

 

I wouldn't buy a smartphone without Camera2 API support, you use it once you won't look back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...