Blackmagic 4K Production Camera - First Sample Videos from Grant Petty

Andrew Reid

PLEASE, thats NONSENSE. I edit 4k, 5k and 6k video files on my notebook, with no effort. Why does everyone thinks that 4k, ProRes and RAW files demand too much processing power? Thats TOTALLY WRONG.

A 1080p AVCHD is SO MUCH WORSE to process. You will need a good computer to deal with highly compressed files. Thats not the case with RAW. RAW is light as a feather.

The only thing you will need is storage, and there are lots of cheap solutions for that.

I'm surprised when I hear this too. I've cut hour long Red projects with multiple layers. I loaded the BMC4k files in Adobe and they play surprisingly smoothly, even at full res with Speedgrade effects.

I have an i7 2600k (non-OC) with 16gb RAM and a GTX570. Nothing fancy, it's almost two years old now. Hard Drive speed is definitely becoming the major bottleneck, but I get by okay with a WD Cavier black 7200rpm drive. More space and HD speed would definitely be a huge asset though.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

when you were talking about noise you said:

"it has a slightly gritty texture to the shadows but that’s something you can’t crush back a bit in the grade to hide."

Did you mean   “but that’s not something you can’t crush back a bit in the grade to hide.†?

it looks like you changed from "that's something you can crush" but forgot the "not".

Maybe it's the same thing like with the early bmpcc raw samples, but that noise on daylight looks pretty bad to me. Who needs 4K if you get all that noise. Some people might say "film noise" but hey, I prefer to choose when I get noise. Anyway, I don't have one so I'm not gonna talk more :p

"I dont understand the hype with those mac's. There is nothing special about the hardware and the software is a pain in the ass. You always have compatibility issues. Whats the point of having a software that works if most things wont work with it? And its WAY overpriced."

I work for a company that employ 200 staff.The Windows system we use crashes at least once a month usually a FULL

working day to get things up and running again.In the mean time we have to go on to temporary hand written orders and deliveries

and have No access to accounts.Windows sure keeps the IT people in a job .

I dont understand the hype with those mac's. There is nothing special about the hardware and the software is a pain in the ass. You always have compatibility issues. Whats the point of having a software that works if most things wont work with it? And its WAY overpriced.

I own an Apple display, and thats enough Apple on my life. I cant live with a system that creates that amount of boundaries

It's really, really not. It's very competitively priced against similarly specced machines. 

And when you pay as much or more for a system with this level of power, chances are it isn't going to be this small.

old-new-mac-pro-100220843-orig-100220845

It's an incredible feat of engineering.

is a mac book pro enough for 4k or do you need a station?

largely depends on the codec, R3Ds for example are so easy on processor and GPU;

not full res. and not the best solution but i cut 5K on samsung i7 8Gb SSD raid0.

when i have R3Ds and 5DmkIII footage on the same timeline DSLR footage takes a lot more of processing power, hacked GH2  footage is a killer, and i have fast PC.

largely depends on the codec, R3Ds for example are so easy on processor and GPU;

not full res. and not the best solution but i cut 5K on samsung i7 8Gb SSD raid0.

when i have R3Ds and 5DmkIII footage on the same timeline DSLR footage takes a lot more of processing power, hacked GH2  footage is a killer, and i have fast PC.

I guess you never edited intra footage from the GH2. I've found it a breeze to edit when I shot with Driftwood's Sedna or similar intra patches, unlike with long-GOP files.

"I dont understand the hype with those mac's. There is nothing special about the hardware and the software is a pain in the ass. You always have compatibility issues. Whats the point of having a software that works if most things wont work with it? And its WAY overpriced."

I work for a company that employ 200 staff.The Windows system we use crashes at least once a month usually a FULL

working day to get things up and running again.In the mean time we have to go on to temporary hand written orders and deliveries

and have No access to accounts.Windows sure keeps the IT people in a job .

You should train your staff better, because my windows machines are on 24h a day and they never crash.

It's really, really not. It's very competitively priced against similarly specced machines. 

And when you pay as much or more for a system with this level of power, chances are it isn't going to be this small.

old-new-mac-pro-100220843-orig-100220845

It's an incredible feat of engineering.

Yeah, those MACs are incredible from the point of view of engineering. But thats about it.

Apple stuff are also nice fashion gadgets, but when you need the job done, when you need freedom to work with softwares, when you need full compatibility, then you should use something else.

MACs are good for:

- people that just want a pretty thing

- people that will use it for one thing only - and already knows what software they will need

If you need to use hundreds of different softwares, and if you need to crack, program, modify stuff, its a no-no

These samples are okay but I'm waiting for some handheld sample footage from BM4K to test software stabilization in AE.

A global shutter camera, coupled with an IS lens and 4K originating resolution should be make for an amazing 2K workflow.

Petty mentioned that some pros will release more footage soon.

Personally, I'm excited about two products for 2014, - BM4K and 24-70 F2.8 L IS ( yes it's coming. ) 

Life is good.

. so you're looking at around $18,000 for a fully loaded Mac Pro with two 4K monitors . . . . .

Well... you do not need this setup.

Base model is already a great configuration for editing multiple 4K streams so is future proof for some years of nice work. The Mac Pro also supports 3 4K monitors at 60hz by default. You can update the SSD and RAM with cheaper third party solutions. In January you will see the first 28" quality monitors around $1000 and the bigger ones will be dropping price soon. So the situation is not so bad.

• Administrators

Yeah, those MACs are incredible from the point of view of engineering. But thats about it.

Apple stuff are also nice fashion gadgets, but when you need the job done, when you need freedom to work with softwares, when you need full compatibility, then you should use something else.

MACs are good for:

- people that just want a pretty thing

- people that will use it for one thing only - and already knows what software they will need

If you need to use hundreds of different softwares, and if you need to crack, program, modify stuff, its a no-no

That's absolutely amazing from an engineering point of view. Fashion accessory? You must be joking. That my friend is pure innovation.

I could imagine putting the Mac Pro in hand luggage on a flight.

It has a great deal many practical purposes.