Fuji XT3 vs Sony A7iii vs Panasonic GH5 vs Nikon Z6

KingsJoy

Hi guys,

I’m new to the forum and I apologize if this has been asked before. I’m looking to move from my 10 year old Nikon D80 to a new body that will let me do videos. Never done videos before so I think it’ll be 50/50 stills/video. 

Im not exactly sure what I’ll be shooting, but I’ll most likely use the camera for everything. Weddings to trips to museums to vlogs. I’m also not really sure which video feature I will need/want once I start shooting...

i was able to find a pretty good deal on the A7iii and the XT3, and from the reviews I’ve read, it seems the XT3 is going to be a superior body for videos and the A7iii will get me better stills. Can someone help me out with this? Just how much better is the XT3 at videos and how much better is the A7iii at stills.

What are some other things I ought to consider? Help! Can’t pick...

thank you!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The Panasonic GH5 is pretty much the best all around video camera you can buy. And it is the cheapest way to go both body wise and lens wise. And really it's 20mp sensor is more than enough for photos. Now it might not be the best for AF, but all around I don't see how you can beat it for the money used. And there is lots of f 0.95 lenses around for m4/3, and add a Speedbooster and you are s35 or even larger. A hard to beat all around small, light weight system. And if you want to dabble in Anamorphic they are great for that.

@KingsJoy 

Building on @webrunner5s sound comments, I would suggest that any of these cameras are an excellent choice and it's about getting the right camera for you and your particular priorities and shooting style and situations.

Most of these cameras have weaknesses, some are quite significant weaknesses, and some of these have considerable strengths.

I'm no expert, but:

• the GH5 has excellent IBIS, great image, is a solid workhorse, but the AF is a problem for some people in some situations
  • the a7iii is great at low-light, but some don't like the image, and the menus are difficult
  • many people think the XT3 has a better image than the GH5
  • etc..

I'd suggest you have a think about how you use the camera, what features are more important and which are less important, and then read the reviews of each and compare the pros and cons for you.

For example, I shoot high speed run-n-gun hand-held and was looking at the A7iii and had ruled out the GH5 because I was looking for great AF, but I realised that MF and the aesthetic that comes with it is actually something I like, and the GH5 being a highly-cropped mirrorless made adapting lenses very easy, so I ended up with that.  Your situation will be different.

There are no bad cameras in your list.

Really depends on your needs. The XT3 has superior video image quality. Higher bitrates (up to 400mbps) and 10 bit color. It also has 4k recording up to 60fps. The image quality is more organic with less noise reduction. 

The A73 will be cleaner at higher iso's for stills and images, this is where it really comes out ahead. You also get IBIS, though its not the greatest implementation. The XT3 is kind of a no brainer if you don't need to shoot past 3200 iso often. Colors are definitely nicer. It will also be smaller over all, mainly considering the fuji lenses are smaller than what you'll find with full frame. 

That said investing in Sony isn't a bad idea. I am confident their next two releases are going to be really outstanding. 

As above, all good and you can't really go wrong with any of them.

The Panny GH5 is probably the more 'purist' filmmakers choice but the weakest for AF.

The Fuji the 'new' filmmakers choice plus excellent stills. (My personal choice).

The Canon possibly the least decent filmmakers choice with too many niggles to be the king of this lot.

The Nikon a good all-rounder, stills & video.

The Sony arguably the 'best' all-rounder stills & video.

Budget option, probably the XT3 with kit 18-55 lens.

You can also get X-H1 (with IBIS, but no 10-bit and 120p not so good) for 950 EUR in European grey market shops. X-H1 also has better ergonomics when shooting handheld. When rigged up, then does not matter.

I've used Sony a7 cameras before and their user experience is just crap. The image is lifeless compared to Fuji. Mostly I shoot JPG with Fuji. You just dial in your settings and you are done.

1 hour ago, wa666ou said:

You can also get X-H1 (with IBIS, but no 10-bit and 120p not so good) for 950 EUR in European grey market shops. X-H1 also has better ergonomics when shooting handheld. When rigged up, then does not matter.

I've used Sony a7 cameras before and their user experience is just crap. The image is lifeless compared to Fuji. Mostly I shoot JPG with Fuji. You just dial in your settings and you are done.

Fuji is hard to beat if you want to be able to shoot without editing. Canon is right up there but as a still/video combo they offer nothing with the capabilities of the XT3 especially at the price point. Not that the EOS R doesn't have unique advantages.

What everyone has said pretty much man. Every camera has a weakness. I don’t think you’d go wrong with any of these. If AF is your TOP priority don’t go GH5. Again though i don’t think any of the cameras mentioned out there would disappoint. 

I went from a Nikon d5300 to a 6500 and I’ve been blown away by the video features on

these bodies. 

Only you can know what works for you. Anything you read online is way less important to your own experience with a camera. I strongly suggest you rent or at least try out the cameras in a shop. They’re all great cameras and what little differences they have will be less important than how you gel with it.

that said

If you’re used to Nikon colours and ergonomics I’d say go with the Z6. The EOS R is really an amazing camera too. Much better than its specs suggest imo. 

On 3/21/2019 at 4:22 PM, KingsJoy said:

I’m new to the forum and I apologize if this has been asked before. I’m looking to move from my 10 year old Nikon D80 to a new body that will let me do videos. 

How extensive is your lens collection? If you've got lots (especially if they're all DX lenses) then I'd say pick up a Nikon D7500 on the cheap. 

If there are plenty of FX lenses there too, then a Nikon Z6 would be smart (or even a D750? They're going dirt cheap! And if it is your first time filming then 1080 is still plenty!!)

On 3/21/2019 at 4:22 PM, KingsJoy said:

i was able to find a pretty good deal on the A7iii and the XT3, and from the reviews I’ve read, it seems the XT3 is going to be a superior body for videos and the A7iii will get me better stills. Can someone help me out with this? Just how much better is the XT3 at videos and how much better is the A7iii at stills.

Either of these cameras will be a massive massive massive MASSIVE leap forward in stills capabilities over your D80! 
And of course even an old iPhone will be an improvement in video quality over your D80.....

I think when making such a massive leap forward you should consider which is greater value for your money, which the X-T3 would be. 

On 3/22/2019 at 3:55 PM, webrunner5 said:

The Panasonic GH5 is pretty much the best all around video camera you can buy. And it is the cheapest way to go both body wise and lens wise. And really it's 20mp sensor is more than enough for photos.

And is a light year leap ahead of the Nikon D80 10 megapixel CCD sensor from 2006!