Jump to content
Andrew Reid

Advice on eBay anamorphic lens listing (No advertising)

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, mr.ed said:

Hello everyone,

First time posting and just recently got interested in anamorphic old glass.

I´ve found in a local store an Isco Ultra Star (red version) and would like to experiment, could you advise on what would be a good price?

Thank you

50 to 150 dollars seems to be the norm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
9 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

50 to 150 dollars seems to be the norm.

 

which decade you're referring about? never sold for less than $500 the red ones, except of rare findings sometimes of course 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, valery akos said:

 

which decade you're referring about? never sold for less than $500 the red ones, except of rare findings sometimes of course 

Whole God Damn page full of cheap ass ones. Maybe you ought look on the web, you might find out about reality!

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=isco+ultra+star

If you sold them for 500 bucks you screwed the hell out of a lot of people. Rare finding, shit there is 20 of them on there. Now the plus yeah,  but he didn't ask about the plus did he. Even the plus are not 500 bucks unless you want to get screwed. The plus doesn't look too rare on there either for under 500 bucks does it. And ebay isn't the only place you can buy them in the world.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Whole God Damn page full of cheap ass ones. Maybe you ought look on the web, you might find out about reality!

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=isco+ultra+star

If you sold them for 500 bucks you screwed the hell out of a lot of people. Rare finding, shit there is 20 of them on there. Now the plus yeah,  but he didn't ask about the plus did he. Even the plus are not 500 bucks unless you want to get screwed. The plus doesn't look too rare on there either for under 500 bucks does it. And ebay isn't the only place you can buy them in the world.

Wow.

First off... no. I have not seen a red Ultra Star for under $300 in YEARS that was usable quality. They were always higher that the regular ones.

Second, everything you see for sale now or that has sold in the past few months in that price range are just regular projection lenses. A few gold anamorphic ones have sold for decent prices. SEVERAL Red Stars have sold for $500+ in new condition.
 

If anybody asked me, a fair price for a red one is $300. If you can get it for less, get it if the quality is there. Anamorphic projection lens prices have been skyrocketing everywhere, whether you like it or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, whoisjsd said:

Wow.

First off... no. I have not seen a red Ultra Star for under $300 in YEARS that was usable quality. They were always higher that the regular ones.

Second, everything you see for sale now or that has sold in the past few months in that price range are just regular projection lenses. A few gold anamorphic ones have sold for decent prices. SEVERAL Red Stars have sold for $500+ in new condition.
 

If anybody asked me, a fair price for a red one is $300. If you can get it for less, get it if the quality is there. Anamorphic projection lens prices have been skyrocketing everywhere, whether you like it or not.

I am sure there are fools that have paid 700 dollars for one. There is close to 10 of Red Plus's on there for 350 bucks or less as of today.  The Non Plus ones you are lucky to give away. 50 to 150 bucks tops, and there is a bunch of them on there now for that money! Now since you live in Japan ebay prices maybe a lot more, who knows. They are pretty good lens for the money,  but they made about a billion of them,  Are they a good starter lens, well sure to get your feet wet. To experiment with. when you take one apart and screw it up well no big deal. And you do have to take them apart . Do that with a Cooke lens well you might slit your wrists.

There are people on ebay and Amazon that jack up the prices hoping people think because it cost the most it Has to be better than one for half the price. Both places have rip off artists on them.  Go on ebay some time and do a search from high to low and you will find a 400 dollar item for sale, same thing for 4,000 dollars. They hope you make a mistake and push buy now and then you are screwed. There is some jackass people in the world these days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought it ;) it was in excellent condition, original package and foam!

Being the Isco Ultra star almost a no-flare lens, do you guys recommend any way to bypass the default effect of the coating? 

Also I´ve seen on ebay this single focus system for the Isco https://www.ebay.com/itm/SINGLE-FOCUS-Anamorphic-Lens-V1-Attachment-Rangefinder-58mm-for-Isco-Kowa-more/172900012773?hash=item2841a4d2e5:g:MUMAAOSwH09ZNLqI

I´ve know about rectilux DNAHC, but this one seems really light!

Once again thank you for your help

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mr.ed said:

I bought it ;) it was in excellent condition, original package and foam!

Being the Isco Ultra star almost a no-flare lens, do you guys recommend any way to bypass the default effect of the coating? 

Also I´ve seen on ebay this single focus system for the Isco https://www.ebay.com/itm/SINGLE-FOCUS-Anamorphic-Lens-V1-Attachment-Rangefinder-58mm-for-Isco-Kowa-more/172900012773?hash=item2841a4d2e5:g:MUMAAOSwH09ZNLqI

I´ve know about rectilux DNAHC, but this one seems really light!

Once again thank you for your help

Stay away from that shop. They're bad news.

Get a Rapido setup: http://www.rapidotechnology.com/

Get the clamp, Full Metal Jacket, and the Variable Diopter and you'll be good to go.

1 hour ago, webrunner5 said:

I am sure there are fools that have paid 700 dollars for one. There is close to 10 of Red Plus's on there for 350 bucks or less as of today.  The Non Plus ones you are lucky to give away. 50 to 150 bucks tops, and there is a bunch of them on there now for that money! Now since you live in Japan ebay prices maybe a lot more, who knows. They are pretty good lens for the money,  but they made about a billion of them,  Are they a good starter lens, well sure to get your feet wet. To experiment with. when you take one apart and screw it up well no big deal. And you do have to take them apart . Do that with a Cooke lens well you might slit your wrists.

There are people on ebay and Amazon that jack up the prices hoping people think because it cost the most it Has to be better than one for half the price. Both places have rip off artists on them.  Go on ebay some time and do a search from high to low and you will find a 400 dollar item for sale, same thing for 4,000 dollars. They hope you make a mistake and push buy now and then you are screwed. There is some jackass people in the world these days.

Dude I have no idea what ebay you are using. I am using the same ebay everybody does. The cheapest regular ANAMORPHIC Ultra star there is $379. The cheapest red one is $549. The rest are NOT ANAMORPHIC ISCOs.

Do not spread such misinformation. People have been buying Regular Iscos and then going into anamorphic communities asking questions. It's a bigger waste of money and time than overspending for actual anamorphic projection lenses.

You CAN get anamorphic projection lenses cheaper these days, but it's getting more and more rare. This has been a steady trend throughout the community and it's not just sellers doing it. It's a demand thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, whoisjsd said:

Do not spread such misinformation. People have been buying Regular Iscos and then going into anamorphic communities asking questions. It's a bigger waste of money and time than overspending for actual anamorphic projection lenses.

You CAN get anamorphic projection lenses cheaper these days, but it's getting more and more rare. This has been a steady trend throughout the community and it's not just sellers doing it. It's a demand thing.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Excellent-US-Seller-Isco-Optic-MC-Ultra-Anamorphic-Lens-2x/323179167996?hash=item4b3efac0fc:g:pwAAAOSwOy1as9vK

Your right the Reds are more money than I stated. Sorry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

to generate some interest i found this today on ebay what do you guys think ?

i'm a newbie so feel free to disregard my enthusiasm :)

they say its been modded  from a projection lens, perhaps you people could venture an opinion  ?  i have bought two different types of projection lenses all ready to play with and or adapt  but their still in transit. in hindsight maybe i would be better off lashing out on a proper actual lens and leave the other stuff  in the man cave but  i'm undecided  at at the moment.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/anamorphic-lens-ready-for-filming/123181206698?hash=item1cae2c0caa:g:sRAAAOSwrU1bG~TJ

also found a  kowa

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ex-Kowa-Prominar-Anamorphic-16-16MM-Cine-Lens-w-Leather-Barrel/282929599490?hash=item41dfeb1402:g:BZ4AAOSwCGha1uYY

i assume the kowa 16 mm  would be ok on smaller camera but not full frame as it would vignette  right ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

there's a Panasonic AG-LA7200 Conversion Anamorphic Adapter on ebay  for $900.its got about 4 hours to go and its about half the price of one i have seen advertised on this site. if i had the money i'd buy it myself. i might if it gets relisted

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Panasonic-AG-LA7200-Conversion-Anamorphic-Adapter/132658689499?hash=item1ee312f5db:g:2ZwAAOSweEFbHgAh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, leslie said:

there's a Panasonic AG-LA7200 Conversion Anamorphic Adapter on ebay  for $900.its got about 4 hours to go and its about half the price of one i have seen advertised on this site. if i had the money i'd buy it myself. i might if it gets relisted

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Panasonic-AG-LA7200-Conversion-Anamorphic-Adapter/132658689499?hash=item1ee312f5db:g:2ZwAAOSweEFbHgAh

If you do the advanced Search thingy it looks like at 900 bucks it is one of the more expensive ones on there. Wait until you have the money. It was not a bargain. But they don't come up every day to buy.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=Panasonic+AG-LA7200+Conversion+Anamorphic+Adapter&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&LH_Complete=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=45056&_sargn=-1%26saslc%3D1&_salic=1&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i have yet to learn all the tricks of the trade :)

from the brief time i have been around it seemed like a good deal compared to some other prices i have seen

besides at some point you have to bite the bullet so to speak

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

question for the americans on this forum is fedex the only option for posting an item in the usa i have a lens lined up however the price of fedex is just as dear as the item $140 just  for postage to australia , its a deal breaker for me at the moment.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

found this on ebay today a Focusthrough SOLA 16mm x1.5 - Sharp F1.4 -Blue Flares Anamorphic Anamorphot

i have googled it but apart from a bunch of ebay listings i couldn't find any other info any one else able to contribute anything ?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Focusthrough-SOLA-16mm-x1-5-Sharp-F1-4-Blue-Flares-Anamorphic-Anamorphot/163102577203?hash=item25f9abd233:g:iJ0AAOSwJWFaUqRw

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, leslie said:

found this on ebay today a Focusthrough SOLA 16mm x1.5 - Sharp F1.4 -Blue Flares Anamorphic Anamorphot

i have googled it but apart from a bunch of ebay listings i couldn't find any other info any one else able to contribute anything ?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Focusthrough-SOLA-16mm-x1-5-Sharp-F1-4-Blue-Flares-Anamorphic-Anamorphot/163102577203?hash=item25f9abd233:g:iJ0AAOSwJWFaUqRw

Never heard about this lens before but looking at the pics (the last one with lens in one hand) seens to be so long and so tiny diameter, so probably will vignette hardly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

never existed this ''SOLA'' thing, it is seller's own made experiment lens and in general be aware of this seller: in the recent past he made a 1.33x one and put a stick on it and named it: ''Century Optics USA'' ? ... He fooled someone but when the buyer discovered the scam, he left him a nice negative feedback ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, leslie said:

found this on ebay today a Focusthrough SOLA 16mm x1.5 - Sharp F1.4 -Blue Flares Anamorphic Anamorphot

i have googled it but apart from a bunch of ebay listings i couldn't find any other info any one else able to contribute anything ?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Focusthrough-SOLA-16mm-x1-5-Sharp-F1-4-Blue-Flares-Anamorphic-Anamorphot/163102577203?hash=item25f9abd233:g:iJ0AAOSwJWFaUqRw

Be very careful with that seller, they scammed me twice, but ebay deleted my comment from their wall, not sure why...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...