Jump to content
Xx123456xX

GH5 vs XT-3 vs A7III low light

Recommended Posts

I’m new here, so I’m sorry if this topic, or a similar one, has been done before.

After having used the GH5 for roughly two years, I want better low light performance. I’ve been eyeing FF, in particular the A7III, for this reason. However, due to the vast price difference and internal 10-bit, I’m also considering the XT3.

If low light is my primary reason for switching, does the XT3 offer enough of an advantage over the GH5, or would it be wiser to go straight to the A7III?

To help others in answering I shoot 120fps which I convert to real-time (I have a 120Hz laptop). The XT3 does 120 at 10-bit, but it is automatically slowed in-camera. The A7III only does 8-bit, but it can record real-time 120.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 2/9/2019 at 2:24 PM, Xx123456xX said:

I’m new here, so I’m sorry if this topic, or a similar one, has been done before.

After having used the GH5 for roughly two years, I want better low light performance. I’ve been eyeing FF, in particular the A7III, for this reason. However, due to the vast price difference and internal 10-bit, I’m also considering the XT3.

If low light is my primary reason for switching, does the XT3 offer enough of an advantage over the GH5, or would it be wiser to go straight to the A7III?

To help others in answering I shoot 120fps which I convert to real-time (I have a 120Hz laptop). The XT3 does 120 at 10-bit, but it is automatically slowed in-camera. The A7III only does 8-bit, but it can record real-time 120.

Do you need 10 bit? Fuji has nicer color science but the A7III ain't bad, HLG looks pretty nice. When comparing the cameras they'll all capture roughly the same amount of detail on these settings; GH5 3200, XT3 6400, A7III 25,000  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/9/2019 at 8:24 PM, Xx123456xX said:

I’m new here, so I’m sorry if this topic, or a similar one, has been done before.

After having used the GH5 for roughly two years, I want better low light performance. I’ve been eyeing FF, in particular the A7III, for this reason. However, due to the vast price difference and internal 10-bit, I’m also considering the XT3.

If low light is my primary reason for switching, does the XT3 offer enough of an advantage over the GH5, or would it be wiser to go straight to the A7III?

To help others in answering I shoot 120fps which I convert to real-time (I have a 120Hz laptop). The XT3 does 120 at 10-bit, but it is automatically slowed in-camera. The A7III only does 8-bit, but it can record real-time 120.

Maybe to include as variable relevant to question: exploring choice of appropriate lenses? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, anonim said:

Maybe to include as variable relevant to question: exploring choice of appropriate lenses? 

I currently have four lenses, of which only one is native MFT. My other three are adapted FF lenses, two FD and one EOS. I’ve been exclusively manual focus, so I’m fine sticking to legacy options.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Do you need 10 bit? Fuji has nicer color science but the A7III ain't bad, HLG looks pretty nice. When comparing the cameras they'll all capture roughly the same amount of detail on these settings; GH5 3200, XT3 6400, A7III 25,000  

You mean A7sII right?
The A73 looks garbage starting from ISO3200 IMHO with all its ghosting issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, deezid said:

You mean A7sII right?
The A73 looks garbage starting from ISO3200 IMHO with all its ghosting issues.

Yeah it depends how picky you are. If you have high standards like deezid, the A7S2 is a much better choice. 

btw deezid, have you examined any high ISO footage from the Nikon Z6?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve also added the XH1, A7RIII, A7RII, and A7S to my list of potential cameras.

Since the A7S and A7RII only allow 120fps during APSC mode, would it be reasonable to use a Speedbooster on them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Yeah it depends how picky you are. If you have high standards like deezid, the A7S2 is a much better choice. 

btw deezid, have you examined any high ISO footage from the Nikon Z6?

Not yet. But it seems like external recording looks great on this camera (basically unprocessed and really smooth). Will rent it in the near future for sure.

17 minutes ago, Xx123456xX said:

I’ve also added the XH1, A7RIII, A7RII, and A7S to my list of potential cameras.

Since the A7S and A7RII only allow 120fps during APSC mode, would it be reasonable to use a Speedbooster on them?

Also consider the Pocket 4K.
Add a speedbooster XL and it will shoot at a 1.2 crop.
If properly exposed even ISO12800 still looks really nice.
When recording RAW it is basically unprocessed footage - something you can only get from way more expensive cameras.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Xx123456xX said:

I’ve also added the XH1, A7RIII, A7RII, and A7S to my list of potential cameras.

Since the A7S and A7RII only allow 120fps during APSC mode, would it be reasonable to use a Speedbooster on them?

Yeah you can use a speedbooster with them. The XH1 120fps is not as good as the XT3's. 

I'd consider the Nikon Z6 it has very nice 120p. I'd say the Nikon Z6, A7III, and Fuji XT3 have the nicest 120p on the market right now. The Pocket has great 120p though its cropped 2.8x 

The Nikon is a good option. Though if you already have M43 lenses a Pocket 4k would be an easier switch. Just be ready to use NR in post for a clean image at high ISO's. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

 If you are used to shooting with a 2.8 lens a .95 lens gives you 3 more stops of light. That's like going from 3200 iso to 25,000 iso.

Actually, I'm used to exclusively shoot with Voigts, so even in the middle of suburban night I am rarely, if ever, above iso 800 :) (That's the reason for question about rethinking matter of lenses.) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, anonim said:

Actually, I'm used to exclusively shoot with Voigts, so even in the middle of suburban night I am rarely, if ever, above iso 800 :) (That's the reason for question about rethinking matter of lenses.) 

Yeah I was directing that comment to the OP. I have been taking that into consideration too, though if its a longer lens its hell to focus at .95 or 1.2.

10mm lens should work great though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, deezid said:

Also consider the Pocket 4K.
Add a speedbooster XL and it will shoot at a 1.2 crop.
If properly exposed even ISO12800 still looks really nice.
When recording RAW it is basically unprocessed footage - something you can only get from way more expensive cameras.

 

12 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

The Pocket has great 120p though its cropped 2.8x 

Though if you already have M43 lenses a Pocket 4k would be an easier switch. Just be ready to use NR in post for a clean image at high ISO's. 

 

I’ve also considered the Pocket, but I think the crop might be too extreme for me. Does anyone have any experience with the ZCAM E2? The fact that it can do 120fps in 4K has me somewhat interested, though I currently cannot afford a 4K 120Hz monitor (or adequate computer components).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/10/2019 at 7:24 AM, Xx123456xX said:

After having used the GH5 for roughly two years, I want better low light performance.

Just buy the GH5S! And you'll still get to have matching accessories and lenses, plus the perfect B cam to it: your original GH5 

54 minutes ago, Xx123456xX said:

I’ve also considered the Pocket, but I think the crop might be too extreme for me. Does anyone have any experience with the ZCAM E2? The fact that it can do 120fps in 4K has me somewhat interested, though I currently cannot afford a 4K 120Hz monitor (or adequate computer components).

You seem to be getting Hz and FPS mixed up a lot in this thread.....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

Just buy the GH5S! And you'll still get to have matching accessories and lenses, plus the perfect B cam to it: your original GH5 

You seem to be getting Hz and FPS mixed up a lot in this thread.....

 

I’ve contemplated that option as well, but for it’s price I’m not sure if it would be enough of an upgrade over the standard GH5. The Pocket and E2 both offer better codecs at a lower price, the Fujifilm options are significantly cheaper, and the FF options are similarly priced with equal or greater low light performance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Xx123456xX said:

I’ve contemplated that option as well, but for it’s price I’m not sure if it would be enough of an upgrade over the standard GH5. The Pocket and E2 both offer better codecs at a lower price, the Fujifilm options are significantly cheaper, and the FF options are similarly priced with equal or greater low light performance.

The zcam will be similar to the GH5s and pocket as they share a similar sensor. The 4k 120fps is nice but it'll be noisy at high ISOs. The GH5S is pretty clean up to 12,800 iso but it's using a lot of NR unlike the pocket.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@anonim I have really been warming up to the GH5s lately (except for the yellowish greens) and if I was seriously in the market for another camera, the GH5s would be at the top of my list... or if Panasonic would give it Raw signal output.

For the time being, what I have is more than enough. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, mercer said:

@anonim I have really been warming up to the GH5s lately (except for the yellowish greens) and if I was seriously in the market for another camera, the GH5s would be at the top of my list... or if Panasonic would give it Raw signal output.

For the time being, what I have is more than enough. 

Yeah, I think that most of us have more than enough equipment for encounter with beauty! Maybe just not enough time, contacts, opportunities, will, imagination or something of your famous countryman message: "Stay foolish, stay hungry" :)

(But I bet I'm not the only one here that patiently and eagerly expect born of your Ghost story from majestic camera obscura of your already legendary Canon 5DIII... Actually, meeting so often gladly with your passionate comments here, I'll surely feel and cheer your success partly as my own... Just go on till the end!)

(BTW I shoot both with GH5 and GH5s so - keep eye on GHa lut :) In a meanwhile one more example of unpretentiously balanced, well done work for imo studying and enjoying   - GH5s + SLR Magic Anamorph. lens and bit more graininess 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...