GH5 vs XT-3 vs A7III low light

Xx123456xX

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
15 minutes ago, anonim said:

Yeah, I think that most of us have more than enough equipment for encounter with beauty! Maybe just not enough time, contacts, opportunities, will, imagination or something of your famous countryman message: "Stay foolish, stay hungry" :)

(But I bet I'm not the only one here that patiently and eagerly expect born of your Ghost story from majestic camera obscura of your already legendary Canon 5DIII... Actually, meeting so often gladly with your passionate comments here, I'll surely feel and cheer your success partly as my own... Just go on till the end!)

(BTW I shoot both with GH5 and GH5s so - keep eye on GHa lut :) In a meanwhile one more example of unpretentiously balanced, well done work for imo studying and enjoying   - GH5s + SLR Magic Anamorph. lens and bit more graininess 

You are not kidding about having more than enough equipment. I have enough lenses to make a movie a month without having to use the same lens in more than one film for a year or two.

I appreciate the kind words. As a hobbyist I’ve been lucky to be able to build my film as I go along. I don’t recommend it and I don’t think I would do it this way again but it was so organic with this film that I think it will be a benefit in the end.

I’ve seen a lot of work from that guy and he tends to make any camera he shoots with sing. I believe he DPd Noam Kroll’s recent feature film and even his RX100V footage is pretty spectacular looking. I think he has a P4K now and I learned from his IG page that some of my fears... IR pollution and the red channel clipping are real concerns that he recognizes. Hopefully they sort that out, luckily I have a camera that I feel gives a relevant image for the next couple of years, at least. If something better comes out and I need that something better, then I’ll upgrade... until then, I’ll use lights if I need better lowlight. 

9 minutes ago, anonim said:

And one more for thinking about lowlight solutions

And to think he used the 12-35mm 2.8 lens in that film. 

I’ll be interested to see what Sage does with the GH5s when he incorporates GHa into it. What he’s done with the GH5 made me a believer... even though I still think the Alexa looks better and he should just use that camera to shoot a film. Lol. 

10 minutes ago, mercer said:

... until then, I’ll use lights if I need better lowlight. 

Simply, I didn't yet see any camera that can make shots of equally/enough high level above (or even including) iso 3200. It's just matter of choice - what sort of compromise/degradation will be applied and estimated as acceptable for given personal task and goal. (Keeping always in mind that the most important factor is size of the screen for projected image.)

11 minutes ago, anonim said:

Simply, I didn't yet see any camera that can make shots of equally/enough high level above (or even including) iso 3200. It's just matter of choice - what sort of compromise/degradation will be applied and estimated as acceptable for given personal task and goal. (Keeping always in mind that the most important factor is size of the screen for projected image.)

Yeah if you can get clean 1600 or 3200 out of any of these cameras, then you should count yourself lucky. Maybe I’m too old, but I still cringe when I go over 800. And in most instances the image does suffer a thinness when I do. 

20 hours ago, Xx123456xX said:

I’ve contemplated that option as well, but for it’s price I’m not sure if it would be enough of an upgrade over the standard GH5. The Pocket and E2 both offer better codecs at a lower price, the Fujifilm options are significantly cheaper, and the FF options are similarly priced with equal or greater low light performance.

It would be tough to argue that the "FF" options offer *better* low light performance. At best, "equivalent". 

The GH5S isn't an "upgrade" to the GH5 but a complementary camera to the GH5, and its price reflects that, with them both being fairly similar ish in price. 

The Pocket and E2 are rumored to have "the same sensor", but the Panasonic cameras always are much better implemented / polished / stable. It is worth paying a small premium for that. 

Thanks to all who’ve responded to this thread.

After reading your posts and further research of my own, I’ve decided to start saving for the Nikon Z6, though the Pocket 4K and E2 still slightly pique my interest.

Regarding the E2, is its 120fps automatically slowed in-camera?