Jump to content
Andrew Reid

The absolutely mega Olympus E-M10 III - Oversampled 4.6K no crop 5 axis IBIS for $500!

Recommended Posts

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
4 hours ago, Márcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

Adding to the prior post: the Zhongyi Lens Turbo II EOS to m43 fits without problems.

But more problematic news: Viltrox EF-M2 does not work at all with the E-M10 III if you intend to use electronic EF lenses. WIthout a lens or with a lens, the camera shows just a black screen in the LCD or EVF, and does not take pictures. It is a firmware problem - if you cover the adapter contacts with tape, it works (of course without communication).

Search the web and found that it is a known issue, Viltrox is aware, but no solution until now.

(the adapter / lens worked perfectly in my GX85).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Márcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

But more problematic news: Viltrox EF-M2 does not work at all with the E-M10 III if you intend to use electronic EF lenses. WIthout a lens or with a lens, the camera shows just a black screen in the LCD or EVF, and does not take pictures. It is a firmware problem - if you cover the adapter contacts with tape, it works (of course without communication).

Search the web and found that it is a known issue, Viltrox is aware, but no solution until now.

(the adapter / lens worked perfectly in my GX85).

But right after this I've checked the Viltrox site (looking for older firmware to try a downgrade) and saw that they released the v3.2 of the Ef-M2 firmware last week - which solve this exactly problem. Now it works perfectly with the E-M10 III (tried with the EF 100-300mm 4.5-5.6, which is not in the compatibility list).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/5/2018 at 1:17 PM, webrunner5 said:

Ahh you must be new, hell you are, welcome aboard.  Great way to start off. Super good info. Now we are Really informed. My day is complete. But since I am such a nice guy I'll send you one of the extra Arri Alexa's I got for mentioning them. Heck maybe I will send you the Gimbal I said I will BUY. No freebee on that cheap ass thing. I only get 50 thousand dollar stuff free. Guess the cheap stuff is not a big enough write off for them. ☹️

I lurk. My post was in jest, but I'll take the credit for amply informing you.

 

P.S. The Ari Alexa has not arrived yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anybody happen to know it the speedbooster XL fits the E-M10 Mark iii? Looking for a cheap m43 body, have to decide between this and Panasonic G80, but kinda want the Olympus more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

HDMI seems to always carry the bright green battery symbol. I’ve been through the manual and forums and can’t find a definitive answer. Anyone using this e-m10 iii with an external recorder or capture card? I’m trying to go into a BM ultrastudio 4K and there it is, bright neon green battery symbol. Is there a fix? Thanks in advance!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, JayCole said:

HDMI seems to always carry the bright green battery symbol. I’ve been through the manual and forums and can’t find a definitive answer. Anyone using this e-m10 iii with an external recorder or capture card? I’m trying to go into a BM ultrastudio 4K and there it is, bright neon green battery symbol. Is there a fix? Thanks in advance!

I have no idea even though I'm shooting on an em10iii now. John Brawley is a cinematographer that is familiar with Olympus cams. You can ask him directly as he might know. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's frustrating, because on the E-M10 MkIII's LCD, the battery symbol appears outside of the image area when the camera is in video mode, but, for some reason, the HDMI output includes the battery symbol within the image.  In addition, if one is in manual still mode set to 16:9 aspect ratio, the battery symbol disappears completely from the screen but reappears within the image on the HDMI signal.

The older E-M10 MkII can output clean HDMI simply by holding down and releasing the "Info" button.

You could try shooting in still mode with a 3:2 aspect ratio and crop-in the top and the bottom, or, perhaps it would be better to shoot 16x9 (video or still mode) and crop-in a little all around.

By the way, the E-M10 MkIII can't output 4K video when in shooting mode -- it only outputs 4K when in playback mode.

One can load this modified firmware on it, but I don't think that the hack enables any of the features you need.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/6/2019 at 1:57 PM, Fatalfury said:

Anybody happen to know it the speedbooster XL fits the E-M10 Mark iii? Looking for a cheap m43 body, have to decide between this and Panasonic G80, but kinda want the Olympus more.

I will try mine. It is usually a bit marginal on Olympus bodies. The XL fits on my E-M1X though so maybe we'll have some joy on the smaller cam.

I would see if you can go for an E-M1 II on eBay for a bit more BTW, it's worth it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm looking at getting the E-M10 at some point in the near future. Is there a place I can find good sample clips? Most of the ones I've found so far have been rather poorly shot or are on Youtube an Vimeo and so are too compressed to properly judge. Does Andrew or anyone else here who's used it have any straight-out-of-camera clips they can share?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AdrParkinson said:

I'm looking at getting the E-M10 at some point in the near future. Is there a place I can find good sample clips? Most of the ones I've found so far have been rather poorly shot or are on Youtube an Vimeo and so are too compressed to properly judge. Does Andrew or anyone else here who's used it have any straight-out-of-camera clips they can share?

Since I got mine recently, haven't had a gig to record anything interesting during the pandemic.  Just been getting video of my dog using vintage lenses and a zomei variable ND --not exactly the best way to judge a cameras IQ.  Maybe the next time we go on a hike I'll roll off some stuff with a modern lens...

FWIW, the 4K 24p footage I'm seeing compares VERY favorably to the same on a GH5.  More rolling shutter with the em10iii, but that's to be expected.  BTW, if you like slo-mo the em10iii does 120fps, but it really looks like shit.  If you want good slo-mo, you're not going to get it here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Raw, really raw, footage when (trying) to walk the dog:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3oaq7mi3ih7a2lw/AAADf0DOxJiBbdiKOdOulsbJa?dl=0

Kinda all over the place sorta stuff.   Some with variable ND. Some not. Some auto WB, some not. Some modern lens (oly 12-40 2.8) some not. Some auto focus, most not. 24p, 30p, 60p. 4K, 1080.  200 ISO, 3200 ISO.  You get the idea. It's a hodgepodge. 

Its all shot with "natural" setting tho. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, fuzzynormal said:

Raw, really raw, footage when (trying) to walk the dog:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3oaq7mi3ih7a2lw/AAADf0DOxJiBbdiKOdOulsbJa?dl=0

Kinda all over the place sorta stuff.   Some with variable ND. Some not. Some auto WB, some not. Some modern lens (oly 12-40 2.8) some not. Some auto focus, most not. 24p, 30p, 60p. 4K, 1080.  200 ISO, 3200 ISO.  You get the idea. It's a hodgepodge. 

Its all shot with "natural" setting tho. 

Thanks. This looks like a good varied set of samples.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing that never gets mentioned about the E-M10 III is that, although it cannot employ custom picture profiles, it does share the highlight/shadow control feature found in other OMD cameras.  This attribute allows changes in the camera's contrast curve over a large range of values.  It's a powerful control, and one must use a light touch to avoid pushing the curve too far, as it can look unnatural.  I set the highlights to "-1" and the shadows to "+1," which levels the contrast curve a bit.  Additionally, I enable the "Muted" picture profile, with @TiJoBa's recommended "-2" setting for sharpness and with a "0" setting for saturation.

 

This Imaging-Resource review gives examples of how the highlight/shadow control can affect those areas of the contrast curve.  Scroll down to the "Highlight/Shadow Control" section and "mouse over" the different values to see how it changes the detail and brightness in those areas.

 

By the way, the OMD highlight/shadow control also allows adjustment of the midrange values (at the "center cross" in the display).  Eventually, I will test setting the shadows to "+2," the midrange to +1 and the highlights to "0."

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tupp said:

One thing that never gets mentioned about the E-M10 III is that, although it cannot employ custom picture profiles, it does share the highlight/shadow control feature found in other OMD cameras.  This attribute allows changes in the camera's contrast curve over a large range of values.  It's a powerful control, and one must use a light touch to avoid pushing the curve too far, as it can look unnatural.  I set the highlights to "-1" and the shadows to "+1," which levels the contrast curve a bit.  Additionally, I enable the "Muted" picture profile, with @TiJoBa's recommended "-2" setting for sharpness and with a "0" setting for saturation.

 

This Imaging-Resource review gives examples of how the highlight/shadow control can affect those areas of the contrast curve.  Scroll down to the "Highlight/Shadow Control" section and "mouse over" the different values to see how it changes the detail and brightness in those areas.

 

By the way, the OMD highlight/shadow control also allows adjustment of the midrange values (at the "center cross" in the display).  Eventually, I will test setting the shadows to "+2," the midrange to +1 and the highlights to "0."

 

 

How would you say it compares with the old Cinestyle profile for Canon? I always found that while it made grading easier, the bitrate just wasn't there to support it and so there were too many artifacts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, AdrParkinson said:

I'm looking at getting the E-M10 at some point in the near future. Is there a place I can find good sample clips? Most of the ones I've found so far have been rather poorly shot or are on Youtube an Vimeo and so are too compressed to properly judge. Does Andrew or anyone else here who's used it have any straight-out-of-camera clips they can share?

Why don't you look at the blog post that started this thread?! I posted my straight out of camera footage there and you can download the original Vimeo clip.

I didn't realise Olympus has a custom picture profile editing app that can load profiles onto the camera.

Anybody used this and know which models it works with?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Why don't you look at the blog post that started this thread?! I posted my straight out of camera footage there and you can download the original Vimeo clip

I have, hence why I'm here. But there seemed to be some compression artifacts when I downloaded the clip from Vimeo. That's why I prefer unedited footage straight from the camera.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, AdrParkinson said:

How would you say it compares with the old Cinestyle profile for Canon? I always found that while it made grading easier, the bitrate just wasn't there to support it and so there were too many artifacts.

I never experienced artifacts with Cinestyle.  Are you referring to  compression artifacts in the shadows or to posteriztion/banding?

 

At any rate, I haven't noticed problems on the E-M10 III with my highlight/shadow settings (in my brief experience so far with the camera), but, again, I am using a light touch with those settings.

 

I don't have any short clips, otherwise I would post them.  When I get a chance, I will try to snip out a few seconds from one of the files for download -- I think that ffmpeg can do so without any transcoding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, tupp said:

I never experienced artifacts with Cinestyle.  Are you referring to  compression artifacts in the shadows or to posteriztion/banding?

Yes. Featureless skies tend to band quite heavily.

50 minutes ago, tupp said:

At any rate, I haven't noticed problems on the E-M10 III with my highlight/shadow settings (in my brief experience so far with the camera), but, again, I am using a light touch with those settings.

That's good to hear. I'm not usually a fan of heavy grading, so I doubt I would run into any issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...