Panasonic GH5 10 bit internal recording not good enough

interceptor121

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
25 minutes ago, seanzzxx said:

I'm hijacking this thread to ask: how do you expose your 400mbps V-log? I'm renting this camera in a bit and just looking to make sure everything is in place. I generally over-expose Sony camera's by two stops, is this still necessary with the 10-bit 4:2:2 codec? I know I never felt the need with Blackmagic camera's for example, but if I don't over-expose Sony camera's the noise will get insane.

Best way is to enable Waveform option 

Try keeping your IRE in mid 75 and you should be ok 

• 10 months later...

As I started this mess I wanted to give an update some time later

AVC-I at 400 Mbps beats the xxxx out of ProRes 422 and I could not see any difference to ProRes 422 HQ at naked eye and pixel peep

Looking for explanations I believe is due to two things

1. intraframe predictive coding on 16x16 blocks that achieves high level of compression than standard discrete cosine transform in ProRes

2. CABAC entropy encoding squeezing additional bits without loss in the clips

It is difficult to average what the benefits are compared to ProRes but is not difficult to see that they are at least 30% based on perceived quality

As there are no fast enough SD cards this is limited to 30p on the GH5 but in terms of non RAW capture this appears to be very good

And with this I think I have closed the case I opened myself

The 200Mbps ALL-I @ 1080p codec is quite stellar. It’s only 1/2 the bitrate of the 400 but at 1/4 the resolution of 4K, so the compression ratios are quite good.

23 hours ago, interceptor121 said:

1. intraframe predictive coding on 16x16 blocks that achieves high level of compression than standard discrete cosine transform in ProRes

2. CABAC entropy encoding squeezing additional bits without loss in the clips

And this is why comparing codecs is so hard. I’m not sure if this has been posted before:

https://pro-av.panasonic.net/en/sales_o/p2/concept/img/technology.pdf

But it basically restates what @interceptor121 did above.

Even the AVC-Intra is very efficient when dealing with I-frames due to predictive algorithms in I-frames and near optimal adaptive CABAC encoding. I think it’s here where the 400Mbps is misleading and why I think wolfcrows conclusions are wrong.