Now Ronin-S has a follow focus for GH5.. and my thoughts about it

Amazeballs

You can see it in works at the end of this video: 

Which leads me to believe that anyone can build a device with similar or much more extended functionality using GH5\s\9 tether option via usb-c. 

Now it is just a matter of time and initiative for someone to build a remote control like that which could work on any gimbal, not only DJI. Yeah, they have a connector right under the camera plate, but you can work around that by using a very flexible cord that will be attached to the gimbal axis moving down to a control fixed on a handle itself. Or you can even go wireless if its possible. The main thing though is that you can do much more than just follow focusng. Couple of my ideas:

- do an iOS\android app for full control like a desktop tether app

- do a remote with FF wheel, but also add other buttons, like: 3 buttons for focus transitions, 2-axis joystick to set those transitions and navigate any other menu

- I would also upgrade a classic focus wheel  like the one from DJI itself, adding some sort of lever on the side that you can hold with two fingers giving you an ability to smoothly pull long distance focus pulls without interruption and a need to re-grab the wheel loosing momentum and overall smoothness 

Now who has the guts to do it? I know only 1 guy who is capable of such an endeavor here, but he is currently busy working on his ND filter prototype and he is only one man anyway, I feel like you need a team here to start a successful kickstarter campaign. If such people do exist, please contact me and I might try to organize something. I am no inventor, I have only ideas)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
1 hour ago, Amazeballs said:

Now who has the guts to do it? I know only 1 guy who is capable of such an endeavor here, but he is currently busy working on his ND filter prototype and he is only one man anyway, I feel like you need a team here to start a successful kickstarter campaign. If such people do exist, please contact me and I might try to organize something. I am no inventor, I have only ideas)

The ND filter is just an additional add on to the main controller though.

The controller does remote focus with 8 stored points with dedicated keys for recall at 4 different transition speeds or manually controlled with a joystick. 

All wireless to the camera so it will work on any gimbal with the GH5 or any other Panasonic camera.

The only reason it isn't ready to buy today is that I'm waiting for the Pocket 4K to port it to that so people can use it on multiple different cameras. 

I've got a way of adapting a traditional wheel and its eminently doable at a reasonable-ish price but I suppose the question is how much would you actually pay for something like that?

Blackmagic say they "have published a new, open protocol and developer API so that anyone can create their own remote camera control solution. You can find this on the Blackmagic Design Support page."

Supposedly smart folks will be able to use this to create a Bluetooth controlled follow focus.

• Super Members
17 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

Blackmagic say they "have published a new, open protocol and developer API so that anyone can create their own remote camera control solution. You can find this on the Blackmagic Design Support page."

Its a newer version of one that has been available for a while for Ursa. Blackmagic are always very open about protocols for controlling their products.

Still needs an example of the new camera to test it with though so it will be a little while yet. My controller has Bluetooth 4.0 to enable it to support BMPC4K as well as the wifi for Panasonic/Sony.

17 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

Supposedly smart folks will be able to use this to create a Bluetooth controlled follow focus.

Those supposedly smart folks should have no problem making one as even the decidedly not that smart folks like me should probably be able to accomplish it ;)

6 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

I've got a way of adapting a traditional wheel and its eminently doable at a reasonable-ish price but I suppose the question is how much would you actually pay for something like that?

Definitely want both your version of the variable ND filter and your version of a remote focus wheel. 

I have no idea on price...

10 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

The controller does remote focus with 8 stored points with dedicated keys for recall at 4 different transition speeds or manually controlled with a joystick. 

All wireless to the camera so it will work on any gimbal with the GH5 or any other Panasonic camera.

The only reason it isn't ready to buy today is that I'm waiting for the Pocket 4K to port it to that so people can use it on multiple different cameras. 

OMFG! I want it now! Give it to me!! :)) Joystick is fine, I dont need a wheel personally. Maybe some video demonstration of this magical device hmm?

I will pre-order as soon as you make it available! 

What about latency btw?

• Super Members
10 minutes ago, Amazeballs said:

Maybe some video demonstration of this magical device hmm?

Its just doing the stuff from the original thread in a nicer skin with more refinement and some extra features so there are some videos in there.

I could probably do with updating the most recent thread with a small video update so I'll get round to that in a few weeks.

10 minutes ago, Amazeballs said:

What about latency btw?

I haven't measured it but its never been something I've needed to as whatever latency there is certainly doesn't present itself obviously enough to be a concern when you are operating it.