Now available - EOSHD Pro Color V4 HDR for Sony A7 III and A7R III

Andrew Reid

• 2 weeks later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/31/2018 at 7:26 AM, Andrew Reid said:

It’s not exclusively for an HDR TV.

If you want to playback A7 III files directly on your TV, just shoot plain vanilla Hybrid LOG Gamma, which compressed the required dynamic range into 8bit and adds meta tags to an XML file so the TV knows how to handle it.

This automatic conversion of HLG doesn’t happen with all footage, only the original files with the meta data. So you are better off shooting Pro Color for the wider dynamic range and wider colour gamut, edit your video, and enjoy the benefits on every display not just your TV with the camera plugged into it. It looks just as nice once it is on YouTube or Vimeo or a ProRes master copy that will give close to maximum dynamic range on a HDR TV display, with the added compatibility for everything else 709.

Andrew, one thing I've noted that I haven't seen discussed much, is the color shift when shooting with an A7iii with PP off to HLG. It seems to me, contrary to what you'd think, the color accuracy appears to take a hit when in HLG mode. Greens in particular don't appear natural relative to how they appear when shooting SDR. I'm not referencing the EOS Pro Color.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/10/2018 at 8:27 AM, Geoff CB said:

Shot with this yesterday on a shoot with quick turn around. All Procolor V4. Still need a little white balance to match (and Pre boat removal on the horizon :) )

will2_2.1.5.jpg

long_1.4.1.jpg

wideshot_2.1.1.jpg

I know this was a while ago but do you remember if it was ProColor or ProColor HDR? Also, did you tweak any of the settings?

I just used the A7III for a quick photo shoot outside. I was asked to tag along and be the photographer and didn't have my gear.

My take:

- The viewfinder display is lacking compared to Nikon and Canon.  It had a lag and I couldn't tell if I was nailing shots or not.  I was shocked by this because of all the reviews and positive feedback.

- Burst rate was fast.

- Color? No as bad as I thought it would be. It has a look it wants to give you, not sure I dig that. 

I'm trying to get my hands on a Z6 and Canon EOS R to do a shoot out with the A7III