7" on camera monitors

zerocool22

Hello,

Can anybody recommend a 7" SDI monitor. (No recorder, to save weight).  I was thinking about a smallhd, but then I heard their colors were not good, then we also have lilliput, which is very cheap but wondering if it is any good at all. The Tv logics seem great but they are not cheap by any means. Atomos and blackmagic only have recorders so they are out.

Cheers,

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
29 minutes ago, AaronChicago said:

SmallHD colors are great IMO.

I have seen some posts that the colors are off. Right now I just saw this picture. Between smallhd 701 and smallhd 702. And the difference between them is huge, even within the same brand. I have seen this difference between a 5" and 7" video assist as well. But if the color is that off, then it really isnt usefull is it. I want a monitor with correct colors/contrast, as the camera LCD isnt good enough.
?format=1500w

12 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Honest question. Why would you pay 1500 bucks for a SmallHD 7" monitor with a 1000 nits when you can buy a Atomos 4k Recorder with 1500 nits for the same money or a lot less with the Flame?? I mean everyone sort of Needs a Recorder. And you don't Have to record with it.

I dont need a recorder. Why, because it is 700grams more heavy then just the monitor alone. Thats the biggest reason. I can shoot RAW/prores internal, so I have absolutely no need for a external monitor. + I owned a atomos blade, wasnt pleased with the image either.

56 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

I dont need a recorder. Why, because it is 700grams more heavy then just the monitor alone. Thats the biggest reason. I can shoot RAW/prores internal, so I have absolutely no need for a external monitor. + I owned a atomos blade, wasnt pleased with the image either.

A Atomos Blade is the cheapest thing they make. Hardly a fair overstatement for Atomos. A SmallHD 7" monitor weighs 7 ounces, 198 grams less than a Atomos Flame. Hardy worth it to me, and you aren't hand holding anything with a 7" monitor on it anyways. And the SmallHD is Twice the price of the Atomos Flame that can do 4k 60p. But HDMI only. But yeah weight does matter if you are hand holding stuff for any long period of time. I am not knocking the SmallHD products, just the cost justification. Because I know the cheap 7" monitors are pretty much useless outdoors on average. Better than nothing but..

Now if you have lots of money you can have both. But that is not my case, or I bet most of the people on here's case.

7 hours ago, elgabogomez said:

If you are recording raw (honest question, no trolling) why do you need the most accurate colors in a camera monitor?

Well I shoot mostly prores. But I want an representative image, for example if a color of a shirt is not working out, I want to know it when I am shooting, so I can change out the shirt. Rather then trying to fix it in post. Also it gives me more joy when shooting, when I shot with the  C300 on internal monitor I was not enjoying the camera as it did not give an representative image, and made shooting less enjoyable for me. (most internal cinema camera's screens are horrible, they are for menu pressing not for monitoring).

@elgabogomez It's easier to do it right in pre, and if you load the monitor up with LUTs you can make sure you get the same image in post. You could also hook it up to the PC as a reference monitor.

The SmallHD702Bright is sometimes on 24hr-sale on B&H (i think its 700$ rebate when it is) - I'd recommend subscribing to the mailinglist, and wait for that day imo. They also just recently released the 502Bright 5" monitor - which is probably way more versatile. 

18 minutes ago, AaronChicago said:

I just picked up an Atomos Sumo M on sale for 1500, and now I use it as a field reference, and a grading monitor. I can judge color/exposure on the same monitor from start to finish.

What's your experience with it as a grading monitor? It could be interesting to have as a director's monitor and additional monitor for the editing, but I am reading that this is not true 10 bit and not very accurate.

3 hours ago, Kisaha said:

What's your experience with it as a grading monitor? It could be interesting to have as a director's monitor and additional monitor for the editing, but I am reading that this is not true 10 bit and not very accurate.

It definitely takes some trial and error b/c the monitor is so bright, and can display wider DR that was is seen on most monitors. It's great for the field b/c you see super detailed things that are hard to see on a 7" and pixel peep on the DR. For grading, it takes a bit of getting used to. I keep a window open on my Dell 4K monitor as well to compare what it looks like at 400 NITS, which most people will be viewing.