Canon C100 $1700 and $2500 w/Video Devices PIX-E5H 5

salim

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

DPAF only covers a small portion of the sensor from what I understand. I'm not sure I would bother with it. But get the external recorder. (Although the AVCHD is surprisingly great.)

There's no slow motion. That might bother you. The lack of 4k will make it a non-starter for some. The viewfinder is garbage.

Otherwise I think this is a fantastic camera. I prefer the image to FAR more expensive cameras. Great color and tonality. But the image is hampered by a sensor that likes underexposure (or ACTUALLY rating it at 800 ISO and only using Log C, which has an awkward implementation of super white data) and a codec that likes overexposure, hurting the would-be pretty good dynamic range and can-be excellent lowlight by muddying the shadows.

With an external recorder and careful metering, you can get past this. And it's only an issue in challenging circumstances. The form factor is great. 

1 hour ago, salim said:

There is also 25% discount at BorrowLenses used stuff. What are the thoughts on the original Sony A7s vs the C100.  

https://www.borrowlenses.com/product/gear-for-sale/Sony-Alpha-a7S-Mirrorless-Digital-Camera

I want to shoot on a gimbal and A7s might be working better, perhaps. 

I much prefer the image of the C100 and the ergonomics, but the A7S is better for lowlight and gimbal work. If you're picking up a b camera for an Alexa or Red, the A7S might be better because it's very good at what those cameras are bad at.

For an A camera, I would take the Canon, no brainer. It's far more capable with a much better looking image overall. (Just my opinion.)

On the used market, also consider the F3 and FS100 and FS700. Not my favorites, but I prefer all three to the A7S as an A camera. A7SII is a little better, though.

C100mkII is my favorite camera, and most used, of the last few years. Definitely the II, you can do amazing things with the Dual Pixel AF. I do not use it all the time, but in specific circumstances it had worked marvelously  for me. The price is a steal. Can not believe it. It is also a low light monster, but a real camera the same time. I mean, what other professional camera are you getting with those money? Only JVC LS300, and while the LS300 has vastly superior specs on paper, in real life the C100 is a much better camera (I have used both extensively). No way I was getting a A7s before a C100.  That would be crazy, C100 is a real workhorse of a camera and A7s is a Gameboy Advance with a great low light sensor inside.

8 hours ago, HockeyFan12 said:

But the image is hampered by a sensor that likes underexposure (or ACTUALLY rating it at 800 ISO and only using Log C, which has an awkward implementation of super white data) and a codec that likes overexposure, hurting the would-be pretty good dynamic range and can-be excellent lowlight by muddying the shadows.

With an external recorder and careful metering, you can get past this. And it's only an issue in challenging circumstances. The form factor is great. 

Hi HockeyFan12,

I'm running a C100Mk2 and love it.

I'd be grateful if you could expand on you comment above.

As much as I love my C100 (with DPAF) I don't use it enough to justify keeping it.  I hate stuff just lying around.  So will probably sell it, so keep that in mind if you decide you really want one and I'll give you another option.  Some more thoughts, for a few minutes of video here and there, the A6300 works perfectly for me.  What I love about the C100 is it just works well in almost any light and the battery lasts, it doesn't get hot, has XLRs, etc.  It isn't 4K, but as perfect and nice looking 1080 as I've ever seen (it downscales to 1080 from 4K internally).   If I ever want to do long-form video again I'd buy another in a heartbeat.  I'm in the U.S. though, Boston area.

3 hours ago, maxotics said:

As much as I love my C100 (with DPAF) I don't use it enough to justify keeping it.  I hate stuff just lying around.  So will probably sell it, so keep that in mind if you decide you really want one and I'll give you another option.  Some more thoughts, for a few minutes of video here and there, the A6300 works perfectly for me.  What I love about the C100 is it just works well in almost any light and the battery lasts, it doesn't get hot, has XLRs, etc.  It isn't 4K, but as perfect and nice looking 1080 as I've ever seen (it downscales to 1080 from 4K internally).   If I ever want to do long-form video again I'd buy another in a heartbeat.  I'm in the U.S. though, Boston area.

How much?

5 hours ago, maxotics said:

How do you like 1080 out of A6300?  Is it better than A6000? How about AF?  I'm also considering A6300 or A6500. I want to shoot this short film. Initially was thinking of doing in 4K, but I'm not sure if I'm ready for it or not. Seems like file management, etc. could be too much to deal with for a first real project. 

Had to check hours.  It has 191 hours.  Would include 2 Belkin 64GB SD cards, 2 batteries, box, charger, etc.  Thinking $1650 including postage.  Optional add Atomos Ninja Blade with 128GB SSD for $250, 18-135mm STM for $150, Rhode NT2 (I think, not sure $). 

@salim  I have both the A6000 and A6300. Where do you want to go?  Do you want to be a cinematographer, director, producer?  That will help me answer your question.

12 minutes ago, maxotics said:

Had to check hours.  It has 191 hours.  Would include 2 Belkin 64GB SD cards, 2 batteries, box, charger, etc.  Thinking $1650 including postage.  Optional add Atomos Ninja Blade with 128GB SSD for $250, 18-135mm STM for $150, Rhode NT2 (I think, not sure $). 

@salim  I have both the A6000 and A6300. Where do you want to go?  Do you want to be a cinematographer, director, producer?  That will help me answer your question.

My long-term goal is to make a feature film and my goal was to use this year to start doing more video based work. My background is I've done bunch of photography in the past 20 years. Landscape, street, candid, etc.  I shoot Nikon 810 and if the video autofocus was good on that, I would use that, I guess. I also have a A6000. 

I did a short music video (mocking a russian rapper) with a talent in Belarus(I visit Belarus for IT work, and film stuff is something I do on weekends) with a A6000 and gimbal. After that we came up with an idea of doing a short horror film. So I'll be doing most of everything. We have our cast (it's the talent plus another actress who they worked  together in the past) Most of the story and concept is done by me and I have a lot of the scenes in my head already. I'll be the DP and director (probably be co-directing with her). There is no producing (there is no budget). I like shooting with gimbal or handheld (run and gun), don't want to deal with setup, etc. Some of the scenes are in the metro, that I have to steal those shots(since you're not allowed to shoot in the metro). It's going be dark and unpredictable lighting so I need to shoot it quickly in 1 or 2 takes and be confident it'll work. So something that can do well in low light would be important and be able to focus in low light of inside a metro station as well. 
Thanks for the help!

12 minutes ago, maxotics said:

In the metro you can get away with a grainy look from any camera.  Even professional TV/film seems to let its hair down in the subway :)  Think you're set with those kind of shots.  I have something similar, Nebula 3000 (?).  The thing about the C100 is it's sensor is MADE for video.  It's an A7S long before Sony made one.    If you're doing the story at some point you need to focus on directing and get a cinematographer.  They'll have the "good stuff" :)  Ironically, a better camera may hurt you because you'll get into the camera settings.  That's certainly how I screw myself over and over and over again!  The D810 and A6000 are great video cameras in 8bit.  IMHO, you need to spend $5,000 to really make that next leap.  All the stuff in between is a compromise.  Even if you had a RED and every piece of equipment you want, working alone, a crew of 4 with Canon T3I, audio person, lighting person and assistant will end up with better footage.  So put your money where the difference will make it to the end!  Sounds like you're already doing it the right way.  So rock on!

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

Would be a Rode NTG2, not a "Rhode NT2

HAHA @IronFilm  You believe in me .... as if I'll remember ;)  Anyway, I couldn't get any of it right.  It's an NTG-1! Check back next week when I call it a NT9G ;)  I bought a Sure SM7B recently...I think.  In my head it's an SMB7. Crickey!