The X-E3 - Fujis new 4K shooting "Mini X-Pro"!

Mattias Burling

• Super Members

fuji_x-e3_sv001.jpg.fed9b61f7e2f2c9fcea50d9c0752e131.jpg

Next to the X-T20 its going to cause some serious doubts on which to buy for those looking to get in at the mid level of the Fujifilm system.

Personally I love my X-Pro2 more than the X-T2 I had or the X-T20 I get to use at work.
And here I would probably go for the X-T20 since this doesn't have an OVF anyway.
But it still is a tasty camera.

The good news is that predecessors like the X-T10 and X-E2 costs seriously nothing only a few month after release where I live.
Even  the flag ships are starting to plummet since Sweden is still hardcore DSLR users.

Official release is tomorrow but its all leaked.
http://www.fujirumors.com/new-fujifilm-x-g-roadmap-firmware-x-e3-specs-confirmed-release-september-28/

Specs:
X-E 3
24.3 million pixels “X-Trans CMOS III”
X-Processor Pro
3 type 104 million dots touch panel liquid crystal
4K movie shooting
X series first Bluetooth connection compatible
“Touch Function” (Japanese name unknown) loaded. You can recall the preset function by flick operation up and down, left and right
Size: 121.3 x 73.9 x 42.7 mm
Weight: 337 g
Color: Black / Silver
Kit: Body · XF 18-55 mm lens kit
Expected release date: September 28, 2017
Mass store sales price (tax included): Body 123,660 yen, lens kit 166,860 yen
Metal hand grip MHG-XE 3 and bottom leather case BLC-XE 3 will also be released on September 28

fuji_x-e3_sv002.jpg.4d026e9c3f4430f516b7ab9a87fcfbd1.jpgfuji_x-e3_bk003.jpg.c7ecb69ecf1ce5b17b17c325232d4d9b.jpg

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Fuji makes some superb stuff, build quality is top notch, bar none; Fuji's lenses are incredibly beautiful, perhaps among the best mirrorless has to offer; the APS-C image quality is awesome as well, however... I'd still recommend to anyone looking for a budget priced camera who's interested in 4K video to instead seriously consider either the Lumix GX80/G80 or the GH5. That is, if you want IBIS, an articulating touch screen, a usable remote app that can shoot higher than 720p, zebras for exposure and dozens of other video-centric features.

• Administrators

I usually prefer a d-pad for the menus to a joystick. Don't know if this is just from habit or whether a d-pad really is better for menus, because I sometimes forget the 5D Mark III lacks a d-pad altogether and it's all joystick and scroll wheel action in the menus.

If I were Fuji I'd try and put more clear water between their models... X-T20, X-T2 and now this, all quite similar in features, form factor and specs. The X-E3 just has the EVF at the side instead of the middle, and that's the only real substantial difference?!

• Super Members

Pretty funny how all our needs and preferences can vary. Which of course is part of the fun with photo/videography :)

I think the 18-55 2.8-4 is awesome, took some great looking shots with it on a gig when I also had the 23/2 and 56/1.2. And the stabilization works nicely in video for any type of handheld I do (which is very little, I like tripods).
Im actually planning to do a review video called "The first kit lens ever worth buying" or something like that :)

I had it along with a X-Pro1 on loan from a friend as I thought about buying it cause all the craze about the magic X-Pro1. Don't get me wrong it was sharp and did a lot of things right, but it was just something about the not quite in focus bokeh that just feels wrong. Maybe it was the lens I had, maybe it was me, who knows.

I don't remember the settings used so it might be some in camera processing making it slightly worse, but it shows what I mean. (it's a 50% crop of  a larger image)

X-Pro1_18-55.PNG

15 minutes ago, no_connection said:

I had it along with a X-Pro1 on loan from a friend as I thought about buying it cause all the craze about the magic X-Pro1. Don't get me wrong it was sharp and did a lot of things right, but it was just something about the not quite in focus bokeh that just feels wrong. Maybe it was the lens I had, maybe it was me, who knows.

I don't remember the settings used so it might be some in camera processing making it slightly worse, but it shows what I mean. (it's a 50% crop of  a larger image)

X-Pro1_18-55.PNG

Looks like some serious blue fringing going on here.

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

Pretty funny how all our needs and preferences can vary. Which of course is part of the fun with photo/videography :)

I think the 18-55 2.8-4 is awesome, took some great looking shots with it on a gig when I also had the 23/2 and 56/1.2. And the stabilization works nicely in video for any type of handheld I do (which is very little, I like tripods).
Im actually planning to do a review video called "The first kit lens ever worth buying" or something like that :)

I agree the 18-55 is a fantastic lens. Not just a good kit lens. One of the best lenses end of story for it's class (APS-C zoom). It's cinematic. It has very low distortion for it's class. It's got a faster aperture than you'd expect for the size and price and better build quality as well. Only the Samsung 16-50mm F2.0-2.8 is a better APS-C zoom along with the Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 but they are both triple or even quadruple the price of the Fuji and MUCH bigger / heavier!

I saw on your channel just now that you had the Leica Q for a few weeks. Bro!! we must have been separated at birth or something because I just decided to pick one up as well, used, when I was in the UK last month. I had it before for 1 week and decided to send it back as at the time I was in love with the Sony RX1R II. But then I found myself seriously missing it. I've never known such a 3D pop through the EVF. A joy to use! It is clearly a Panasonic, but man... if they make a full frame interchangeable lens version of that for Panasonic prices... I'll dump my Sony mirrorless stuff faster than a very punctual Japanese bullet train.

• Super Members

Its a gem alright. When using it one gets why it was sold out for so many months. 

Btw, I can't remember if it says "Made in Germany" on it. If so, according to Overgaard at least 80% of the camera must be made in Germany.

But who cares. It could be a Panasonic or even a Casio. End result is awesome. 

45min to Fujikina.. time to turn on the coffee :)

The other XE's were noted for their pop up bounce flash. This one has ommited the flash altogether. And no tilt screen. What year is this?

I strongly disagree about the 18-55 being cinematic. It's one of the most boring lenses i've ever used. And the lack of good focus ring and constant aperture makes it a poor choice for video. 

This camera seems to be aimed at photography purists, so good for them. 

• Super Members
44 minutes ago, Inazuma said:

The other XE's were noted for their pop up bounce flash. This one has ommited the flash altogether. And no tilt screen. What year is this?

The year when the X-T20 already had a flash and tilt screen. The year of Choice :)

And the lack of good focus ring and constant aperture makes it a poor choice for video. 

It has a focus ring. It also has constant aperture... if you are willing to pay for it. This is a cheap kit zoom. What constant aperture kitzooms are we comparing to? :)

This camera seems to be aimed at photography purists, so good for them. 

Its a smaller and mid range option to the X-Pro2.

31 minutes ago, Tim Sewell said:

If I do end up buying this camera I wouldn't be using it for video - at least not for anything that was paying. It would be to have as a backup for stills work that will match, sensor-wise, with my X-T2s.

Im thinking in the same direction. I would use it as my small backup until the X80 or GRiii finally sees the light of day.