Jump to content
BTM_Pix

And For My Next Trick....... (aka Why I was hacking the GX80 in the first place)

Recommended Posts

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
6 hours ago, Amazeballs said:

Are you planning to start a Kickstarter for a final device?)

Also what is that little device with a screen, an A mp3 player?

 

Yes, its so I can listen to music while I work out why it doesn't work ;)

No, its the actual unit that controls the camera over wifi and gives you feedback on your settings.

It can be mounted on a hotshoe like it is here or wherever you want. 

I don't need Kickstarter to finish it but do need Kickupthearse

 

 

Controller New Display.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mat Mayer said:

That looks awesome. In the meantime is there a simple way to switch between normal and the hack settings? My wife said the hack limits the camera to only Cine D. 

No (EDIT!!! as in "No, your wife is mistaken") all of the other settings are still available, you just select them as normal in the menu.

The best approach is to save a Cinelike D version as one of your C settings so you can recall it from the camera instead of having to do the hack each time.

The hardware device above includes the Cinelike profiles in its list of profiles as though it were like the others so you can switch to it without saving it as a C setting or having to do the hack each time (as it is doing the hack each time itself automatically when you select a Cinelike profile).

Instructions for switching using the C settings are here

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/11/2018 at 9:11 PM, BTM_Pix said:

No, its the actual unit that controls the camera over wifi and gives you feedback on your settings.

Why do you need it? Is it for some debugging purposes? I mean you can clearly see all this data on a camera screen as well.

Anyway what I would like to see most of all is a small sensitive joystick, mounted in that hot shoe that would control lens focusing ;) In a perfect scenario it should protrude to the right side so I could move it with my thumb finger of my right hand which is holding camera grip simultaneously. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Amazeballs said:

Why do you need it? Is it for some debugging purposes? I mean you can clearly see all this data on a camera screen as well.

Its needed because that is the unit that controls the camera over wifi instead of having to use a computer or a smartphone.

The screen will be used for other stuff such as adjusting custom presets and setup etc.

The reason for the mode that its in there, mimicking a top plate LCD on a camera, is because if you are using the camera on a gimbal or jib or even on a rig then you are likely using an external monitor for which you will probably like have the HDMI output of the camera have in clean feed mode (for recording) so you won't necessarily have this information on that screen. 

As I said in the post, in this instance it is mounted on the hotshoe but it can go anywhere you want within wifi range and still be controlling and showing feedback from the camera.

1 hour ago, Amazeballs said:

Anyway what I would like to see most of all is a small sensitive joystick, mounted in that hot shoe that would control lens focusing ;) In a perfect scenario it should protrude to the right side so I could move it with my thumb finger of my right hand which is holding camera grip simultaneously. 

If you look at the bottom of the previous picture I posted, you'll see exactly that.

That takes your control input, passes it on to the MP3 player which then interprets it and passes it on to the camera.

I'm not sure I'd mount that on the hotshoe myself but you could if you wanted to.

The whole system is wireless so within the limits of the bluetooth transmission range from the controller and the wifi range from the MP3 player you can mount them wherever you want.

Or you don't even have to mount them anywhere.

You could hold that controller in your hand and have the MP3 player in your pocket and it would still work like that if you wanted to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How is the "focus over wifi" protocol?

I know we can focus touching the device's screen with imgapp, but can we send focus point or rack focus with your device?

Will be great feature for gimbal users.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Grimor said:

How is the "focus over wifi" protocol?

I know we can focus touching the device's screen with imgapp, but can we send focus point or rack focus with your device?

Will be great feature for gimbal users.

You can do it with the same precision as you can with their app.

I'll leave you to work out what that means!

They only offer two levels of sensitivity in terms of speed of focus movement so I scale those on the joystick to give some feeling to it and to be fair its not that bad. 

Hard stop A/B focus points driven by the joystick will be incorporated.

Joystick driven focus point (i.e. use it to move to a point on the screen and then a single press A/F) will be incorporated as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

You can do it with the same precision as you can with their app.

I'll leave you to work out what that means!

They only offer two levels of sensitivity in terms of speed of focus movement so I scale those on the joystick to give some feeling to it and to be fair its not that bad. 

Hard stop A/B focus points driven by the joystick will be incorporated.

Joystick driven focus point (i.e. use it to move to a point on the screen and then a single press A/F) will be incorporated as well.

That is all sounds very intriguing! 

Got it about the mp3 player usage, seems very clever. I imagine mounting it on a gimbal, especially the one with double handle, to give me fast accurate feedback. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Amazeballs said:

That is all sounds very intriguing! 

Got it about the mp3 player usage, seems very clever. I imagine mounting it on a gimbal, especially the one with double handle, to give me fast accurate feedback. 

Its not really an MP3 player but it does have a little speaker in it that I could persuade it to play shutter sounds from classic cameras as a deluxe add on ;)

Yes, the double handled gimbal is exactly the sort of application where it will be useful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey BTM_Pix!

Great work but it's a year since you work on!

I'm a gimbal user, you have to make a support for it to be able pull focus and maintaining the gimbal (crane 2).

Or I have a greater idea: contact Zhiyun-tech and sell them your code or work together to provide focus functionality embedded to crane 2 since they have a wheel on it already!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Rikoshet said:

Hey BTM_Pix!

Great work but it's a year since you work on!

I'm a gimbal user, you have to make a support for it to be able pull focus and maintaining the gimbal (crane 2).

Or I have a greater idea: contact Zhiyun-tech and sell them your code or work together to provide focus functionality embedded to crane 2 since they have a wheel on it already!

As per the other thread, here's a sneak peek 

 

DSCF1433 (1).jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BTM_Pix,

 

Great work on all your projects. Would it be possible to have a simplified version of this remote as an interface for LANC control via 1/8" or Micro USB? I would love to use my GX85 on a gimbal but would need a way to convert the wifi control to direct cable. The Zhiyun XY Play app has less chance of getting updated than your progress, I think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/8/2019 at 8:57 PM, DanielK said:

BTM_Pix,

 

Great work on all your projects. Would it be possible to have a simplified version of this remote as an interface for LANC control via 1/8" or Micro USB? I would love to use my GX85 on a gimbal but would need a way to convert the wifi control to direct cable. The Zhiyun XY Play app has less chance of getting updated than your progress, I think.

Sorry, I've only just seen this post.

Can you describe exactly what you want to do?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...