Jump to content

Canon C200 and Panasonic rival camera to fight it out at CineGear Expo


Andrew Reid
 Share

Recommended Posts

Yeah well at least it has a nice middle ground codec, where most people are gonna use it. The C200 doesn't even let you output that. And they said they're currently working with recorder makers to support it. Hence the "future" part.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is the official price under 8k then? 7995.00? 

1 minute ago, rndmtsk said:

Yeah well at least it has a nice middle ground codec, where most people are gonna use it. The C200 doesn't even let you output that. And they said they're currently working with recorder makers to support it. Hence the "future" part.

Well, to be fair the Canon will probably have their updates out before the this camera is even in officially released. C200 preorder is Monday? 

Im really curious about the color and how clean the 240p is.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, BenEricson said:

Is the official price under 8k then? 7995.00? 

Well, to be fair the Canon will probably have their updates out before the this camera is even in officially released. C200 comes out tomorrow or something? 

Im really curious about the color and how clean the 240p is.

Their updates still won't provide 10 bit. The whole reason the updates aren't in camera yet is because they're reengineering the c300mk2 codec to be 8 bit. It's preposterous that even on output there's no way to get a 10 bit image out of that camera that isn't 1000mbps raw.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So, am I the only one that thinks that maybe this 5.7K Raw output was an afterthought? Why have plans to output 5.7K Raw when it isn't outputting any Raw at release? Give use some 2K Raw up to 72/96 FPS.

Did Panasonic's VP of their cinema division hear Canon's 4K Raw specs and immediately call the CEO of Atomos?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, mercer said:

So, am I the only one that thinks that maybe this 5.7K Raw output was an afterthought? Why have plans to output 5.7K Raw when it isn't outputting any Raw at release? Give use some 2K Raw up to 72/96 FPS.

Did Panasonic's VP of their cinema division hear Canon's 4K Raw specs and immediately call the CEO of Atomos?

Yeah, maybe. But who cares? Glorious competition.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators
7 minutes ago, mercer said:

So, am I the only one that thinks that maybe this 5.7K Raw output was an afterthought? Why have plans to output 5.7K Raw when it isn't outputting any Raw at release? Give use some 2K Raw up to 72/96 FPS.

Did Panasonic's VP of their cinema division hear Canon's 4K Raw specs and immediately call the CEO of Atomos?

Because 5.7K raw onto SD cards is pretty difficult.

And the external recorders need to catch up and support 5.7K raw from the EVA1, no point having it in the camera yet if you can't record it.

So I suspect they bumped it down the priorities list a bit to finish the rest of the spec, as camera development does run to a tight timeframe and they do need to ship at some point.

The main thing about the EVA1 is that the codec isn't crippled like the FS5 and C200. You are getting a much higher-end codec to rival the FS7 / C300 II in a camera which will be priced at the FS5 and C200 level with their sucky codecs.

The only thing the C200 has over the EVA1 is AF and CFast (for raw). The rest of the spec falls short. But we'll see what they are like in the real world and not just on paper.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Because 5.7K raw onto SD cards is pretty difficult.

And the external recorders need to catch up and support 5.7K raw from the EVA1, no point having it in the camera yet if you can't record it.

So I suspect they bumped it down the priorities list a bit to finish the rest of the spec, as camera development does run to a tight timeframe and they do need to ship at some point.

The main thing about the EVA1 is that the codec isn't crippled like the FS5 and C200. You are getting a much higher-end codec to rival the FS7 / C300 II in a camera which will be priced at the FS5 and C200 level with their sucky codecs.

Okay, that makes sense, but why announce future plans for 5.7K Raw and not export any Raw resolution at release? 2.5K Raw, up to 60 FPS, would make a lot of early adopters happy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Panasonic has (E)IS, Canon has (DP)AF. AF is more important for our needs, though the EVA1 looks to be a very nice camera (we'd get a C200 as a b-camera to the C300 II).

Guess it's up to Sony to roll out high-quality IS and AF in one camera ;) (maybe that will happen with the F5 replacement).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah I really thought they were going to tie in the GH5's 5-axis. I think that would have made this epic. Of course their IBIS may not have worked as well on an EF mount... which is why they should have gone with a m4/3 with a built in speedbooster... LOL. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...