GH5 - What lenses?

Ki Rin

1 hour ago, Rinad Amir said:

Hey peeps have anyone tried 12mm 1.4 Sumilux on GH5? I know there is tons of videos on youtube i just wanna get some opinions from fellow EOSHD?

I hav but only for stills ( not much time for videos lately). It's a great lens. About the same as the 42.5. Size and weight a perfect match for the GH5. I really love the Aperture ring. The price is okish, like the 42.5 still on the high side.  

One of my m4/3 recommended lenses.

B

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

It's a subjective choice and depends of what you want to shoot but for me, here is what I have:

- Pana 12-35 f2.8 V1: The V2 is $300 more and doesn't seem to bring more features and quality

- Pana 7-14mm f4: The Oly equivalent (f2.8 though) is just too expensive for me. The Pana is sharp enough for 4K video

- Sigma 30mm f1.4: Cheaper and better than the Pana 25 f1.4 if you don't mind mind the extra 5mm

- Rokinon 12mm f2: Works great, the Pana 12 f1.4 is just too expensive. $1200 !!! (the EF Sigma 24 f1.4 is at $750)

- For zoom stuff I have the Canon FD 50mm f1.4 and 200mm f2.8 with a cheap $20 adapter. Does the job great if you are ok with manual focus. You can find these lens for very cheap on ebay. In term of image stabilization, the IBIS should work (I haven't tried yet)

- Pana 14-140mm: I sold this one due to micro-jitters issue which is a common problem on this lens

34 minutes ago, Borbarad said:

I hav but only for stills ( not much time for videos lately). It's a great lens. About the same as the 42.5. Size and weight a perfect match for the GH5. I really love the Aperture ring. The price is okish, like the 42.5 still on the high side.  

One of my m4/3 recommended lenses.

B

am click away from getting it just wanted to see how it performs with IBIS 

if you had to choose 12mm1.4 or 42.5 1.2 for run&gun ?

4 hours ago, OliKMIA said:

Rokinon 12mm f2: Works great, the Pana 12 f1.4 is just too expensive. 

But this Leica happens to be worth every penny.

4 hours ago, Rinad Amir said:

if you had to choose 12mm1.4 or 42.5 1.2 for run&gun?

Get the Leica 12mm for sure. The 42.5 is great for portraiture and when you want shallow depth of field, the 12mm will be a better all-purpose lens.

3 hours ago, dbp said:

I don't own it, but I frequently lust after the Olympus 75 f1.8

Just buy it already. ?

2 hours ago, TwoScoops said:

17.5 Voigt and 42.5 Panaleica are the best MFT lenses.

No love for the Leica 12mm or Oly 75mm? ?

2 hours ago, jonpais said:

I don't know, is it really ? The Pana 12mm f1.4 is almost 50% pricier than the  Sigma Art 24mm f1.4 which is outstanding. I really have hard time buying M43 lens that are way more expensive than much better FF equivalent. The Tamron 24-70 f2.8 for instance is so much better than the Lumix 12-35 f2.8 (I have both).
Not saying top M43 lenses are bad but the price tags are a little bit too stiff considering the price/quality ratio.

4 hours ago, OliKMIA said:

I don't know, is it really ? The Pana 12mm f1.4 is almost 50% pricier than the  Sigma Art 24mm f1.4 which is outstanding. I really have hard time buying M43 lens that are way more expensive than much better FF equivalent. The Tamron 24-70 f2.8 for instance is so much better than the Lumix 12-35 f2.8 (I have both).
Not saying top M43 lenses are bad but the price tags are a little bit too stiff considering the price/quality ratio.

So rather than spending $500 more (than the Sigma 24mm) for the Leica, you'd gladly spend $500 less for the Rokinon (or something like that). :) To be fair, for the most part, Sigma Art lenses are better optically than most OEM glass and cost much less. Tamron and Tokina also make some good lenses at bargain basement prices. For sure, there are many other factors to consider apart from mere focal length and aperture. For example, while several of Sigma's lenses have compared favorably with those of Zeiss Otus, the lack of breathing, all-metal construction, longer focus throw, greater edge sharpness and weather sealing of the Zeiss instruments may make them more appealing to some filmmakers. Sigma lenses are made in Japan, unlike many of their rivals, whose lenses come from Thailand, Vietnam or China. You'd expect that Panasonic, which manufactures many of its lenses in China, or Olympus, whose lenses are built in Vietnam or wherever, that those cost savings would be passed on to the consumer, but they aren't, so I would have to agree, there might be an element of greed at play here. Smaller lenses need to be manufactured to higher precision, and m43 lenses must have something like double the resolution of full-frame lenses, so that may account for the higher price, though it's common knowledge Panasonic applies electronic correction to their lenses, so don't quote me on that. :( Of course, I'd expect the build quality of the Leica to be superior to that of Tamron or Rokinon. Sample variation would probably be much less with a Leica lens than one emanating from the factories of Rokinon or Tokina. I'd also wager that the Leica would hold its value over time better than that of other third party manufacturers. But when comparing the prices of premium lenses across different formats and manufacturers, I'm not seeing a huge difference - whether it's Sony G Master, Olympus, Leica or Fuji - I'm finding their top-of-the-line lenses are all rather pricey. And I've watched dozens of videos shot with the Rokinon 12mm f/2 and it doesn't even begin to compare to the Leica 12mm f/1.4, not even close. Whether that quality is something you're willing to pay for is up to each person and their budget to decide.

10 hours ago, jonpais said:

Get the Leica 12mm for sure. The 42.5 is great for portraiture and when you want shallow depth of field, the 12mm will be a better all-purpose lens.

Just buy it already. ?

No love for the Leica 12mm or Oly 75mm? ?

Jon thank you for advice 

After some suggestions here, I looked into using canon lenses plus speedboosters. But it seems like most of the useful lenses (like the sigma 18-35), are quite heavy and large, and then there's the added cost of speedboosters. So I think I will stick to mostly native lenses for now. 
It's an interesting option to have though. 

11 hours ago, Ki Rin said:

After some suggestions here, I looked into using canon lenses plus speedboosters. But it seems like most of the useful lenses (like the sigma 18-35), are quite heavy and large, and then there's the added cost of speedboosters. So I think I will stick to mostly native lenses for now. 

Coming from 80D user I had this combo 18-35mm 50-100 1.8

heavy combo no IBiS plus tripod is essential for video .

Now with GH5 i forgot all about weight and tripod for good ?

5 axis IBiS is Holygrail 

Go for 42.5 1.2 & 12-60 2.8-4

12mm 1.4 Leica Summilux(On the way)? 

You will never look back 

11 hours ago, Ki Rin said:

The M4/3 lenses are small and light only in physical properties...the image coming out of these Panny and Oly lenses defies the toy like feel....at least of the Panasonics...even the Panny/Leica 12-60 which is an all metal housing shocked me when I first picked it up...the MF takes getting used to, but no question,the image is there!...and now that the GH5 AF is so good, who cares about MF?????sorry...could not resist!