Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
mercer

5D3 ML Raw Screen Grabs

Recommended Posts

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, Dan Wake said:

very nice.

do you shoot in crop mode? I wish to ask you if when you shoot 4k you can see a fluid preview on the LCD screen live view or if it is in black and white with choppy low frame per second view.

Thanks Dan, sorry I should have been more clear in my long post... this isn't 4K... I actually shot in 2:35, so it isn't even 1080p... it's 1920x810. Since I'm new to the 5D3 and ML, I haven't tested the 4K Raw yet... yet. 

But I am pretty sure the 4K Raw is not a fluid preview and liveview is in grey scale.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Try the new Footage App developed by one of the magic lantern forum member martinhering.
screenshot.thumb.png.77da24d76cca7c0035ffaf10a2564265.png
 You can get the latest version here.
https://rink.hockeyapp.net/apps/3ed6ecf60e684239a6aba3d407cf3935/app_versions/77

There isn't real time playback yet like MLRawViewer but you can quickly scrub the timeline and export the dng or mov files. Also, you may get more than 12 minutes by shooting in 14bit lossless raw.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, jpfilmz said:

Try the new Footage App developed by one of the magic lantern forum member martinhering.
screenshot.thumb.png.77da24d76cca7c0035ffaf10a2564265.png
 You can get the latest version here.
https://rink.hockeyapp.net/apps/3ed6ecf60e684239a6aba3d407cf3935/app_versions/77

There isn't real time playback yet like MLRawViewer but you can quickly scrub the timeline and export the dng or mov files. Also, you may get more than 12 minutes by shooting in 14bit lossless raw.

Thanks JP, I'll check this out. I do like the "LogC" function of MLRawViewer, do you know of any other programs that offer a pseudo LogC conversion? I've been reading a little bit about MLVFS and CineLOG, I know Hyalinejim uses CineLog, and when my day job slows up a little bit, I'll probably give that route a test. I really just wish FCPX would accept CDNG files.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Nikkor said:

Just use the raw files directly in Resolve without using crappy compression/log 

I would but I don't really like Resolve. That's what I'm using now but I actually think the "LogC" from MLRawViewer works really nice with FCPX and an Arri LUT as a start off. Then just a few corrections with FCPX's simple Color Board is all the footage really needs.

But I guess it wouldn't hurt to learn a little Resolve. Was thinking it may be a good way to do a rough edit of my shots and that would make for a quicker ProRes conversion in the end. I guess I could also add the Arri LUT in Resolve before I convert it to FCPX for my final edit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Evgeniy said:

Looks great!

Can you preview and delete clips in the camera?

Thanks, supposedly you can preview the last clip recorded. I'm not sure if you can delete them. I'm pretty new to all this, but I'm sure someone else has the answer. I will say I got a little scared because this was the first time I ever filled a card and when they fill, the camera asks you (in writing) if you are sure the card is formatted as ExFat. I went to check the previous file to make sure I got the last clip and it wouldn't preview, but I assume I was doing it wrong because it asked me if I wanted to delete it. I immediately exited and took the card out. Then I hoped and prayed I didn't erase all the files. Lol. I didn't. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, mercer said:

Thanks Dan, sorry I should have been more clear in my long post... this isn't 4K... I actually shot in 2:35, so it isn't even 1080p... it's 1920x810. Since I'm new to the 5D3 and ML, I haven't tested the 4K Raw yet... yet. 

 

That looks crazy good for not even being 1080p HD. Wow. The last screen grab is sharp as a tack. :glasses: And who can argue about Canon Colors!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Don, I appreciate it. I am pretty pleased with this set up. That lens is great wide open and gives me just enough dof. To be able to shoot Raw video, handheld is amazing. I was a little worried about interior shots... but after looking at a couple shots, I think they turned out alright for a 2 minute color process. However I still wish I had a better monitor than my MacBook Air...

IMG_0991.JPG

IMG_0993.JPG

They look a little browner than they did on my computer. 

I also rarely shoot anything longer than a minute, so I may try to up the resolution to a 2.5k 2:35 variant to see how long I can record with it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, mercer said:

Thanks Don, I appreciate it. I am pretty pleased with this set up. That lens is great wide open and gives me just enough dof. To be able to shoot Raw video, handheld is amazing. I was a little worried about interior shots... but after looking at a couple shots, I think they turned out alright for a 2 minute color process. However I still wish I had a better monitor than my MacBook Air...

IMG_0991.JPG

IMG_0993.JPG

They look a little browner than they did on my computer. 

I also rarely shoot anything longer than a minute, so I may try to up the resolution to a 2.5k 2:35 variant to see how long I can record with it. 

Wow the DR looks great indoors also. I don't see Any crushed Blacks, and the grade looks very realistic. You made a heck of a good choice on the 5DIII Glenn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Wow the DR looks great indoors also. I don't see Any crushed Blacks, and the grade looks very realistic. You made a heck of a good choice on the 5DIII Glenn.

Thanks Don, I appreciate it. Have you had the chance to do any more AF100 tests?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No sad to say. It has rained or overcast and cold as heck for days. But here are a few screen grabs I shoot a week ago. My new 14-140mm 3.5-5.6 mkII I think is pretty impressive sharpness wise. I haven't done too much AF with it, but I think it might work out pretty well on that part with good contrast subjects. The Jeep was done with AF with it. So was the Bird Feeders.

Jeep#1.JPG

Boat#1.JPG

Goose#1.JPG

Bird #1.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, mercer said:

Thanks Don, I appreciate it. Have you had the chance to do any more AF100 tests?

I had the little Canon 40mm f2.8 Pancake lens. It was Really sharp. And they are cheap. They are around 100 bucks used on Amazon. I would latch on to one of those in the future. Talk about a small, light setup up! And it is pretty stealth looking. Just about my favorite focal length.

I think it is close to what we see with our eyes. Not the total width, but our aspect ratio, focal length. So I have always thought, if it looks good to our eyes why use a lens that is very far off from that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They look great. Love the jeep shot. Looking forward to seeing your historical doc. 

Yeah the 40mm looks like a sweet little lens. I had the 35mm f2 for a blink of an eye last year, I think I may pick up another one, if I can get a good deal. And the 50mm 1.4 is supposed to be a beauty as well. Ugh, too many choices. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, mercer said:

.

 

IMG_0993.JPG

They look a little browner than they did on my computer. 

I also rarely shoot anything longer than a minute, so I may try to up the resolution to a 2.5k 2:35 variant to see how long I can record with it. 

 

Now, that looks very sweet. I think this is an awesome setting for a mood piece. Would you like to share some footage? Really

awesome looking. So how do you like canon raw from the 5diii vs black magic raw?

By the way, what monopod are you using in your videos? I think I remember you did use one, didnt you?

Always loving your camera movements and framing.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

 

Now, that looks very sweet. I think this is an awesome setting for a mood piece. Would you like to share some footage? Really

awesome looking. So how do you like canon raw from the 5diii vs black magic raw?

By the way, what monopod are you using in your videos? I think I remember you did use one, didnt you?

Always loving your camera movements and framing.

 

Thanks Marty, I appreciate it. Yeah that shot turned out okay, even with the JPEG compression from the screengrab. The other interior shot didn't fare as well as a jpeg.

This has all been handheld, but I usually use a monopod. I have a Sirui and a Benro. Both are great. The Sirui is a great concept, but it hasn't really held up to the test of time. The Benro is more solidly built but it isn't as stable on its smaller feet... there's always concessions with inexpensive gear.

No footage for now, not until the short is finished. But I will leave you with a few final screengrabs from part one of my shoot.

 

IMG_0988.JPG

IMG_0989.JPG

IMG_0990.JPG

IMG_0992.JPG

Now these are all just color tests but they're close to what I want the final mood to be. 

After running my other cards through Raw Magic and Resolve, I think @Nikkor is right about going the Resolve route. Now I just have to learn how to use Resolve more proficiently. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Arrgh! That last shot- beautiful! What focal lenght did you use on that one? Was that using the complete area of the 36mmx24mm sensor or what kind of crop factor? Got myself another tokina, the 25-50 f4 and a sigma zoom master 35-70 2.8-4 for really cheap! Liking the Tokina 24 -40 f2.8 so far,

great mechanics and to hold in hand and work it. Though I think

on my lens T Stop is rather a 3.8 instead of 2.8. I tested it against the beautiful pocketcam oly xz10, little marvel it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...