Jump to content

GH5 tips tricks and questions only


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, zmarty said:

When I am in replay mode (to view footage already shot), what physical button can I press to start playing the footage? I keep pressing on the Menu button because it seems natural to me, but the only way it works is to press the play icon on the screen. I don't understand why the Menu button does not start Play, since it works like that on most cameras I owned.

Same on all the GH cameras. you play back using touch screen.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

3200 is clean. Plus this is completely off topic, in the wrong thread, and you didn't point out the snipers or aliens. 

@jonpais ha, I was just about to reply about going into the inspector... if you have VLog, the inspector also has an option to process VLog clips as Rec709. I sometimes use it with ML Raw footage if I

Another battery test: Panasonic 2:18 Kastar 0:58, 1:16 Power2000 1:24 BatteryPack 1:34 Wasabi - 2:19 So it looks like Wasabi has won the after-market battery competition.

Posted Images

I am trying to take a single picture in AFS mode, but every time I set the dial to AFS it takes 2 sec and the display shows AFC again and the focus points are dancing across the screen, not holding their position like on my GH4. What´s wrong?! Did a camera reset already and tried 3 native lenses...

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Tim Sewell said:

This may be of interest (and I assume this is the correct thread) - a pretty comprehensive AF test: 

 

Nope. Wrong thread. Hopefully a mod will delete.

3 hours ago, editor0range said:

I am trying to take a single picture in AFS mode, but every time I set the dial to AFS it takes 2 sec and the display shows AFC again and the focus points are dancing across the screen, not holding their position like on my GH4. What´s wrong?! Did a camera reset already and tried 3 native lenses...

Do you have a local shop you can take it in to?

13 hours ago, funkyou86 said:

I would love to hear about your experience shooting 180fps indoors, what are the best settings IYO to avoid flicker. I did not have the time to experiment with the synchro scan option.

Sync scan certainly fixes 25p and 50p shots. Haven't tried at 180. Premiere has a flicker reduction setting. My favourite is Flicker Free from Digital Anarchy. https://digitalanarchy.com/Flicker/main.html Well worth it. Can be very processor intensive and you have to remember to place it absolutely first in the render chain - before any Lumetri adjustments! Has quick settings for timelapse, slowmo, etc. <insert shameless plug for own timelapse> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lygWL2unr_Q It's better to fix with in camera scan if possible but it looks like something is currently broken with the live monitor view at 180fps because as soon as you hit record it changes. Can't see any flicker on monitor before recording but heaps during recording and the exposure changes. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, zmarty said:

When I am in replay mode (to view footage already shot), what physical button can I press to start playing the footage? I keep pressing on the Menu button because it seems natural to me, but the only way it works is to press the play icon on the screen. I don't understand why the Menu button does not start Play, since it works like that on most cameras I owned.

On previous GH cameras the centre top position of the control dial would act as a play button when in playback mode, still awaiting Gh5's arrival here to be sure :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Orangenz said:

Do you have a local shop you can take it in to?

I will wait for the 1st firmware update and then go back to my dealer. I can only make AFS work, when I program the AF/AE-Lock-Button to hold AF and then press the shutter button to snap a picture. annoying thing...

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, PixelPossum said:

Hi everyone, 

A quick question for those who already have their GH5 - what setting do I use when using a fully manual lens such as the voigtlander 25mm? With the GH4 I used to use the "Shoot without lens" option but that setting is no longer there.

I looked through the manual but couldn't seem to find the relevant information.

Thanks in advance

Josse ?

 

Sorry didn't see this before. Are you researching before getting the camera or do you have one and it's not working? I don't think there's an option any more, it just detects a manual lens and asks what the focal length is so the ibis works properly, ie. you don't have to change anything for it to just work. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey fellow GH5 owners!

I can't get the stabilization to work with a Kipon Baveyes EF-MFT 0.7 Focal Reducer paired with a Sigma 18-35mm. The option for stabilization is greyed out in the menus. Fiddled with different system frequencies, VFR on/off, stills mode, movie mode etc with no luck. Any tips?

EDIT: Latest firmware installed in the Kipon adapter

FOR THE CURIOUS: Stills AF works surprisingly well with the 18-35, quick and accurate

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Linus N said:

Hey fellow GH5 owners!

I can't get the stabilization to work with a Kipon Baveyes EF-MFT 0.7 Focal Reducer paired with a Sigma 18-35mm. The option for stabilization is greyed out in the menus. Fiddled with different system frequencies, VFR on/off, stills mode, movie mode etc with no luck. Any tips?

EDIT: Latest firmware installed in the Kipon adapter

FOR THE CURIOUS: Stills AF works surprisingly well with the 18-35, quick and accurate

I would also like to know the answer, and also your feedback on this adapter, any other issues? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Orangenz said:

Sorry didn't see this before. Are you researching before getting the camera or do you have one and it's not working? I don't think there's an option any more, it just detects a manual lens and asks what the focal length is so the ibis works properly, ie. you don't have to change anything for it to just work. 

I just got the camera. I saw that it came up with the focal length question and adjusted it accordingly. 

I was was a bit confused if I needed to do anything else because in GH4 you had to changed to "Shoot without lens" in the setting

thanks

josse

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, sina_html said:

I would also like to know the answer, and also your feedback on this adapter, any other issues? 

The adapter works fine in all other regards. No freezing while zooming, AF works fine for stills, aperture changes work flawlessly. Only caveat I've encountered is that the lowest f-stop the GH5 will show is 1.7 when it should be 1.2 or 1.3

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Linus N said:

Hey fellow GH5 owners!

I can't get the stabilization to work with a Kipon Baveyes EF-MFT 0.7 Focal Reducer paired with a Sigma 18-35mm. The option for stabilization is greyed out in the menus. Fiddled with different system frequencies, VFR on/off, stills mode, movie mode etc with no luck. Any tips?

EDIT: Latest firmware installed in the Kipon adapter

FOR THE CURIOUS: Stills AF works surprisingly well with the 18-35, quick and accurate

Mmm, good question! Maybe worth a thread of it's own in addition to being here so more people see it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5-4-2017 at 10:02 PM, zmarty said:

When I am in replay mode (to view footage already shot), what physical button can I press to start playing the footage? I keep pressing on the Menu button because it seems natural to me, but the only way it works is to press the play icon on the screen. I don't understand why the Menu button does not start Play, since it works like that on most cameras I owned.

You press the 'up' button on the controller / joystick.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Tip or Trick Needed: (C1,C2,C3) do not have full video features? No manual AE,SS and ISO controls within these custom modes making it useless for video. I would love custom modes dedicated to 4k@24, 4k@60, and 1080@180 with shutter and VFR already set in each. Anyone found any workarounds? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, lmackreath said:

What's the correct luminance level for both 8 and 10 bit?

10 bit 422 vlog is forced 0-1023.

8 bit 420 vlog is forced 0-255. 

All video I shoot goes through premiere in an edit so I go with the full range. I check the output levels on the scopes to try get around 10-235 or 60-940 respectively with more time at the top end to avoid blown highlights that chrome seems to make appear when playing youtube. Apart from that combination all the other players seem to understand what's going on. And if you're going to edit and using the compressed range you usually end up moving things outside it anyway which means there was no point in using the limitation in the first place. This looks like highlights blown to me watching on chrome https://youtu.be/g3wh6brJGeQ?t=1m30s He says it is unedited and if so he needed to change to 16-235 instead of using 0-255 like he did. It's highlights are massively clipped, but the combination makes it even more noticeable. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...