4k tv as monitor

gethin

This: http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ku6300

Is cheap over here at the mo.  Was thinking of using it for the program window in premiere, and keep a smaller colour accurate monitor for doing grading and whatnot (and for lightroom and PS).

is this a totally stupid idea?  (I currently have 2560x1440 27" monitor, and just think that's too small for 4K).  

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

i think that is a great idea(I have a 4K monitor myself).

But I would make sure the monitor is:

o Around 40 to 43 inch. 

o Able to handle 4:4:4 color @60fps

I am waiting for an OLED monitor in the 40 to43 inch range which would be wonderful.

For professional color grading in Premiere (or other NLEs) use a separate mastering monitor avoiding the OS and GPU.

several years ago out of sheer laziness i plugged my mac into my 53" samsung plasma so i could work while lying on the couch under a blanket... and ive never looked back. i do 99% of my work at home this way now. SOoo great for watching video

using windows, is there a ui scalability? i wish that was built into osx. when my friends macbook pro is plugged into her huge 70" 4k tv the osx menus and interface elements look ridiculous imo

also, last time i checked macs cant do 4k out at over 30hz... no bueno. im assuming that a pc can? whats that connection? do u need a tv with hdmi 2.0? 

i love this thread! please post i want a 4k tv but i dont want the os interface to be so damn small i cant see whats going on... maybe ill get a pc idek

kaylee look at the link in the original post.  it'll lead you back to a page all about tv's as monitors.  the one I mentioned is the cheapest smallest one available but the 6000 series goes up to 70" I think.  I recon a 40" tv on your desk probably wouldn't need ui scaling.  it'd be yuge

Since writing this I saw a review of the LG 32" 4k dci monitor with 99.9% adobe rgb and thse extra 200 ish pixels and its twice the price and now I dont know what to do.  :p

7 hours ago, Cary Knoop said:

The pixel density for a 40-43 inch 4k monitor is just fine.  It is not huge at all and I would not go any smaller than 40 inch.

I'm saying the monitor would be huge - compared to what I'm (or mostly people would be) used to.  Yes I figured pixel density would be about the same as I've got at the moment with a 2560 wide 27 inch.  But that LG is 50% higher.   Ho Hum

I started to look into this as well.

After filtering out I don't see that many options at affordable prices. I want HDR in some form. And IPS with good viewing angle for sitting close to it.

LG have some interesting options, mainly 43UH664V.

However the panel is apparently RGBW with evory other row 50% offset, anyone have any experience with that type of panel, especially with computer use?

The obvious benefit is higher brightness at full white, but giving up brightness of saturated colors. I have not seen one up close so I don't know if the pixels would be distracting or not.

so that samsung had a VA panel, so I've decided to wait till the Sony X850D (x8500d in aus) comes on sale somewhere.  IPS, 120hz, and much better gamut and HDR.  Downside: the smallest version is 55". The x8000d 49" is also IPS.

The other option is a philips 4k, Philips BDM4350UC 43" IPS with 100%Srgb.  I think this may be why I rejected the idea previously (as thE LG has 99% Adobe RGB).  But 100%srgb is great compared to the TVs. Its only 8 bit panel, though whereas the IPS TVs seem to be 10 bit.

I asked this on Adobe forums and was pretty much told it was a stupid idea and just to stick with a properly calibrated monitor. I will probably still get one and hook it up to my computer just to check before exporting, as the TVs seem to all have different looks. So it may just stop me over grading, which I am certainly guilty of in the past.

I work online a lot and my main monitor is not calibrated properly to protect my eyes, I have it dimmed. It gives another perspective to my calibrated monitor, of what other people may be seeing. So my thinking is may as well add a popular TV into the mix too.

I do not see why a computer monitor for video editing should be IPS - you sacrifice dynamic range (deep blacks) and you are very close straight on to the screen - you are not looking at a sharp angle. You want good DR, not viewing angles.

The best 43" 4K HDR TV is the Sony XBR 43X800D. It is VA. For HDR you need the triluminous pixels (like the quantum dots of Samsung), the wide color gamut, 60p, 4:4:4 and 10 bit, and it has all that. It is $599. AFAIK no other 43" or below has the necessary HDR features of this one.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-size/40-42-43-inch/best

1 hour ago, markr041 said:

60p, 4:4:4 and 10 bit, and it has all that.

I would love to be corrected but it is my understanding that you cannot do all those three things at the same time over HDMI but you can over DisplayPort (which is not available for this model).

Still it looks like an interesting TV/monitor.

"I would love to be corrected but it is my understanding that you cannot do all those three things at the same time over HDMI but you can over DisplayPort (which is not available for this model)".

Here is your correction: HDMI 2.0 spec does all those things: UHD, 4:4:4, 60P, 10bit, REC2020 (wide gamut).

6 minutes ago, markr041 said:

"I would love to be corrected but it is my understanding that you cannot do all those three things at the same time over HDMI but you can over DisplayPort (which is not available for this model)".

Here is your correction: HDMI 2.0 spec does all those things: UHD, 4:4:4, 60P, 10bit, REC2020 (wide gamut).

It appears you are wrong:

http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_2_0/hdmi_2_0_faq.aspx

You can do 4K@60 with 4:4:4 8bit, or you can do 4K@60 with 4:2:0 10bit but for 4K@60 with 4:4:4: 10bit you need DisplayPort.

"You can do 4K@60 with 4:4:4 8bit, or you can do 4K@60 with 4:2:0 10bit". It appears we are both wrong (I got my specs originally from Wikipedia). It looks like you can do 4K@60 10bit 4:2:2.

From your link:

Yes. HDMI 2.0 includes support for BT.2020 Colorimetry with 10 or more bits of color depth.
Video Formats defined in BT.2020 and supported by HDMI 2.0 specification:
– 2160p, 10/12 bits, 24/25/30Hz, RGB/4:2:2/4:4:4
– 2160p, 10/12 bits, 50/60Hz, 4:2:0/4:2:2

Since few cameras output 4:4:4, having a TV with 4K@60 10bit 4:2:2 capability with REC2020 would appear perfectly fine to monitor for editing HDR video.

I would expect the forthcoming GH5 will output 4K@60 10bit 4:2:2, since the GH4 outputs 4K@30p 4:2:2 10bit.

My VA-panel TV dims and fades contrast and colors when viewing at close distance. The uniformity of the panel is not good either (2 photos of AX800). It was Panasonic top 4k model 2014 and very expensive (about 5000$). Movies and videos looks still very good. My IPS monitor has perfect viewing angles and uniformity but lower contrast.

VA1.jpg

va2.jpg