Jump to content

The 4K Fuji X-T2 is here


Mattias Burling
 Share

Recommended Posts

Sorry I can't help, since I don't own the kit lens. I'm trying to stop myself from getting the 50-140mm f/2.8. :) 

Just a note on vlogging with the X-T2:

Vloggers may decide to go with one of the Panasonic cameras, such as the G85, because it has a fully articulating LCD screen. And though the Fuji does not have a swivel screen, with the Fujifilm camera remote app, you can view yourself, start and stop video recording, adjust white balance, change ISO settings and shutter speed and even choose between the different film simulation modes. And while the Fuji doesn't have face recognition in 4K mode like the Panasonic, its continuous focusing capabilities are much faster and more accurate than the G85. Finally, from a few feet away, I have difficulty seeing the screen on the Panasonic anyway, and having my iPod nearby, I can see what the Fuji is shooting much more easily.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Inazuma said:

Does anyone else have the 18-55 + one other lens? I swear with AF-C in video this lens carries on hunting after locking focus a lot more than my 23 and 35. 

I have 7 or 8 lenses, my 23/1.4 hunts a lot more than the 18-55. I'm using 91 AF points, whatever I have the focus box on stays locked pretty well with the 18-55.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, jonpais said:

Sorry I can't help, since I don't own the kit lens. I'm trying to stop myself from getting the 50-140mm f/2.8. :) 

Just a note on vlogging with the X-T2:

Vloggers may decide to go with one of the Panasonic cameras, such as the G85, because it has a fully articulating LCD screen. And though the Fuji does not have a swivel screen, with the Fujifilm camera remote app, you can view yourself, start and stop video recording, adjust white balance, change ISO settings and shutter speed and even choose between the different film simulation modes. And while the Fuji doesn't have face recognition in 4K mode like the Panasonic, its continuous focusing capabilities are much faster and more accurate than the G85. Finally, from a few feet away, I have difficulty seeing the screen on the Panasonic anyway, and having my iPod nearby, I can see what the Fuji is shooting much more easily.

Question.. are there any limitations of the Fuji Remote App?   For example, the Sony app allowed you to remote view and start/stop but you couldn't use SLog.  The Samsung NX App would always reset to Standard profile and screw up your custom adjustments. 

Does it allow touch focus?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, SuperSet said:

Question.. are there any limitations of the Fuji Remote App?   For example, the Sony app allowed you to remote view and start/stop but you couldn't use SLog.  The Samsung NX App would always reset to Standard profile and screw up your custom adjustments. 

Does it allow touch focus?

Sorry, no touch focus. Funny, because just out of habit, that is the very first thing I tried to do. ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Inazuma said:

Resolution is limited to 720p for me when controlling via android phone

Yep, I just discovered that when testing it out for a second time when I got back home this afternoon, so pretty much utter garbage for vlogging. Very disappointing!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Taranis said:

Doh... then the app is pretty much useless for video.

Yeah, on iOS, crap 720p. Not only that, but when using the app, the LCD goes black and none of the dials work. So if you mistakenly had exposure compensation on, you can't change it in the app or on the camera either. So, you have to disconnect, make the change and relaunch the app again!

It's funny isn't it? I mean how professional reviewers get to spend two weeks with the camera from B&H, but we discover this stuff after only a couple of days with the camera. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Taranis said:

Just found this, it's shot with the kit lens, I think it's gorgeous:

F*** beautiful. Reviewers who've used hundreds of different lenses say Fuji are second only to Voigtlander and Zeiss in build quality. I don't think there's a mediocre lens in their entire lineup of 20-30. I just picked up the 35mm f/2 and 50-140mm f/2.8 this evening. Can't wait to play with them tomorrow. Meanwhile, I'm working on yet another two-minute field test, this time of the humungous, heavy, overpriced and lovely 16-55mm f/2.8. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I thought Astia Soft was supposed to be soft: but it looks kind of like when I used to process Ektachrome; rich colors and high contrast - but over or underexpose by as much as 1/2 stop and either the highlights are blown out or the shadows are crushed. Tomorrow, I'll try shooting with boosted shadows and highlights turned down a notch and see if that helps any. Also, although I turned in-camera sharpening all the way down to -4, the image looks over-sharpened to my eyes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Taranis said:

Just found this, it's shot with the kit lens, I think it's gorgeous:

Looks great. Was that graded or SOOC?

 

16 hours ago, Inazuma said:

Resolution is limited to 720p for me when controlling via android phone

Wow, that is a big swing and miss from Fuji. They need to fix that.

 

10 hours ago, jonpais said:

I thought Astia Soft was supposed to be soft: but it looks kind of like when I used to process Ektachrome; rich colors and high contrast - but over or underexpose by as much as 1/2 stop and either the highlights are blown out or the shadows are crushed. Tomorrow, I'll try shooting with boosted shadows and highlights turned down a notch and see if that helps any. Also, although I turned in-camera sharpening all the way down to -4, the image looks over-sharpened to my eyes.

Not sure if this has been posted but this dude's video shot in Astia Soft looks great. I'm beginning to think that's the best profile to use.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...