Jump to content

Color issue with the NX-1


Omer Sehayek
 Share

Recommended Posts

it's been going on for a while now.....

I shoot a video (no matter what type or how long) and every now and then the color of the image will change from being slightly red to green or the other way around. 

It's like something is changing my color specifications while shooting a video. first I thought it might be an issue with the spot meter for light which makes the color change when I aim the camera to a new direction but it keeps on happening never mind what I do. I think I got everything on manual so it cant be some kind of auto adjustment.....I am lost. Anyone ever got that issue with the camera?

What can cause this? it really fucks up my videos

 

thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

the custom kelvin white balance setting causes those jumps in color. Its weird but you can see the error when shooting in mixed lighting. Try using the custom white balance and shooting a tungsten light and moving the camera towards a fluorescent light. You will see the sudden jump in white balance

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here are some other people talking about it on the Forum. Iv noticed the same thing as well when I scroll through the custom WB trying to dial in my kelvin. And like Kidzrevil said, I'v noticed a jump from green to magenta when in mixed lighting. Someone suggested using the preset white balances as a work around but I haven't test it. I like dialing in my exact look so it's kinda a bummer if it is true.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote

Someone suggested using the preset white balances as a work around but I haven't test it.

I do believe this is the only current workaround.  Use presets for scenes where you know the camera's field of view will change, in an environment with mixed light, so that the NX1 won't guess green or magenta tint.  Can someone confirm?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, j_one said:

I do believe this is the only current workaround.  Use presets for scenes where you know the camera's field of view will change, in an environment with mixed light, so that the NX1 won't guess green or magenta tint.  Can someone confirm?

Yup, never had an issue with using a white card to set balance.  There are settings under Kelvin to adjust the green/magenta, nudging that just one spot in either direction should fix this as the camera will no longer be guessing those values. This is just a guess though, still need to test it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

damnn I was kinda hoping my camera has something bad with it....now you tell me it's the whole brand.....this is a major flaw no one talks about when writing reviews about this camera......

 

along side with the fact there is absolutely no way to cancel the strobe effect around most new LED lights that they put now in wedding halls it's almost useless for events.....wish I have known that before buying this camera.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Omer Sehayek said:

damnn I was kinda hoping my camera has something bad with it....now you tell me it's the whole brand.....this is a major flaw no one talks about when writing reviews about this camera......

 

along side with the fact there is absolutely no way to cancel the strobe effect around most new LED lights that they put now in wedding halls it's almost useless for events.....wish I have known that before buying this camera.

 

i just use a custom white balance taken from a grey card or use the preset white balance with color shift

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Omer Sehayek said:

damnn I was kinda hoping my camera has something bad with it....now you tell me it's the whole brand.....this is a major flaw no one talks about when writing reviews about this camera......

 

along side with the fact there is absolutely no way to cancel the strobe effect around most new LED lights that they put now in wedding halls it's almost useless for events.....wish I have known that before buying this camera.

 

What type of LED cause a strobe in the nx1? I can't find anything about this. Can you go into more specifics? I'm about to buy some lights for interior shooting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Hanriverprod said:

What type of LED cause a strobe in the nx1? I can't find anything about this. Can you go into more specifics? I'm about to buy some lights for interior shooting.

I do not think this is an issue with the NX1. This is more of an issue with having too short of a shutter speed. this is almost inevitable with 120p and even 60p if you are following the 180deg rule.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Hanriverprod said:

What type of LED cause a strobe in the nx1? I can't find anything about this. Can you go into more specifics? I'm about to buy some lights for interior shooting.

Certain florescent fixtures have issues with banding, this is not just the NX1, almost any camera at a certain shutter speed will cause these to appear. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Geoff CB said:

Certain florescent fixtures have issues with banding, this is not just the NX1, almost any camera at a certain shutter speed will cause these to appear. 

I had two nx1's last week and with the same settings one camera had much more severe green horizontal banding with fluorescent lights. I returned the camera. It had the banding to a less degree with krypto lights as well. The other nx1 was only showing slight banding on very high shutter speeds.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...